Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Car crashes into building - please post your Local news stories

Running this one up the flagpole to see who salutes... 

I just don't remember this being a thing until recently, now it seems a daily occurrence.
Could it be that there are drivers not up to the job, too many cars; should houses be made to ride in single file, shops put on high viz, why are we putting newer buildings in danger like this, it's irresponsible. 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18649201.car-crash-wall-iceland-s...

'A Dorset Police spokesperson said: "Dorset Police was called at 12.48pm on Thursday, August 13, to a report of a collision involving a car and a wall outside Iceland on Poole Road in Bournemouth.

"It is reported that the vehicle was also in collision with a pedestrian, but they did not require medical treatment." ' 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2603 comments

David9694 replied to Jogle | 2 years ago
1 like

Make the IoW car-free. If you search on "crash" on this site, you get the standard litany of incidents, week after week. 

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

This story has nothing to do with cycling.  You should stick to the brief and not get distBristol couple make thousands a month on Only Fans to support seriously ill father

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Rooted to the spot (with luck).

andystow replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

hirsute wrote:

Bus hits bridge - luckily no passengers at the time.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/20272285.open-top-bus-crashes-veneti...

“Following a promotional event outside the Clacton Pier on Sunday evening, the Clacton Breeze Open top bus was driven accidentally under the bridge causing damage to the front of the bus on the upper deck."

Accidentally driven under the bridge? Did the bridge suddenly jump out in front of the bus? I think it's a safe bet that the bus was deliberately driven (most of the way) under the bridge, it's just that the driver either:

• didn't know what these signs mean
  • didn't know how tall the bus was
  • wasn't good at maths
  • was an utter moron
ktache replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
3 likes

I went to the comments and shall steal from someone who stole from another - 

Time and tide wait for no van.

David9694 replied to Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
0 likes

The road is wet, so I can tell it's an oldie.

The writer is trying very hard to big up what is, in the scheme of things a pretty humdrum story, lacking human interest - a couple of faves I picked out:

"Pictures taken after collision between a set of traffic lights and a car..."

"The bonnet of the car seems to have a traffic light pole shape indented in it" 

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
2 likes

Black Rock Sands between Criccieth and Porthmadog is far more entertaining as vehicles are allowed there, but it does seem common-sense is prohibted, therefore you regularly see drivers panickedly trying to dig their ever sinking cars out of soft sand, bemoaning the expense of the tractor tow which they resist until they've probably already got salt-water damage.

IanMSpencer replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

I was reading the other day that doctors have discovered that waiting for careful extraction with chopping tops off cars to protect against spinal injuries gives considerably worse outcomes than just getting the injured out quickly in most situations. Crush and cut injuries far more likely than spinal injuries.

Which is rather similar to people getting all het up about helmets and motor vehicles when other injuries are far more likel to be fatal (still going to wear mine, all the same).

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
2 likes

" was later released without charge"

A cat scared him and he swerved to avoid it ?

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
2 likes

"Officers allege the driver was already disqualified"

Not a matter of dispute though.

ktache replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

I couldn't tell what it was until I went to Twitter.

Cyclists on pavements are a real problem aren't they?

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
2 likes

My dad was in his mid-80s when he had his Devonian driver moment - decided to take a nap in some nice man's porch. He'd had a Diabetes related sleepy moment. He knew he was getting drowsy, but didn't want to inconvenience anyone by stopping in the way.

Had a nice bedside chat about the relative economic merits of car ownership and taxis and sealed the no-driving deal there and then. In the end, he had so many friends to ferry him around, I don't think he ever paid for a taxi.

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
3 likes

Where's Rod Hull when you need him?

David9694 replied to Jogle | 2 years ago
2 likes

Next up - cameras, and "Watford's most lucrative camera leaves drivers fuming"

David9694 replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

What it should look like

David9694 replied to ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes

That's a lot of paperwork

ktache replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
1 like

The story that got me was that only one side of the suspension bridge was getting a heatwave.

ktache replied to andystow | 2 years ago
2 likes

Nice looking bridge.

Should of course be covered in hiviz retroreflective warnings.

Not that it makes that much difference....

Mungecrundle replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yep, pretty clear where the blame lies for this one.

David9694 replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
1 like

It's a dilemma whether to intervene sooner to save one set of risks or later while the other is de-risked. 

David9694 replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

A Welsh Incident?

Hirsute replied to ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

It was a bus stop !

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

I think he lives on:

"Malmesbury Carnival have offered a prize for the best dressed emu or for an emu-esque addition to a float in the procession.

Suggestions for a new name for Boomer, the crime-fighting emu are also welcome and can be made via the Our Malmesbury Facebook page. 

'We will be be unveiling more activities and local collaborations for the community very soon including an animal podcast from the field,' said Gary. 

'Janinka is a children’s event organiser and is looking forward to providing some emu related fun for the children of Malmesbury over the summer and leading up to Christmas.’"

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/20590542.malmesbury-animal-sanctua...

brooksby replied to ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

The story that got me was that only one side of the suspension bridge was getting a heatwave.

You may laugh (and yes, it is a f-ing stupid statement that they made) but there are definite areas that have microclimates.  If I'm riding home, I go down into the village of Abbots Leigh and the temperature noticeably drops by several degrees for a hundred metres or so.  I keep expecting to see the Ghostbusters investigating this Cold Spot...

andystow replied to ktache | 2 years ago
2 likes

Found better images, and one sign says clearance is 11'-9", and the other says 3.5 m, which is just under 11'-6".

Google says a London double decker is over 16' tall, the shortest I could find is 12'-3", and even a single decker bus is over 10' tall.

This is like me trying to drive my MINI under a lorry trailer. Oops, it accidentally didn't fit.

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

David9694 wrote:

It's a dilemma whether to intervene sooner to save one set of risks or later while the other is de-risked. 

With those dilemmas, you just have to go with the best odds unless there's some simple way to evaluate the injury, but you wouldn't want to be getting the patient to wiggle their toes whilst they may be bleeding out.

stonojnr replied to andystow | 2 years ago
2 likes

But there's not an alternative road the bus could take, how did it get to the pier in the first place ?

andystow replied to stonojnr | 2 years ago
1 like

stonojnr wrote:

But there's not an alternative road the bus could take, how did it get to the pier in the first place ?

It is odd. From the lamp posts visible in the photo, and comparing to Street View, it does appear to have been attempting to drive out away from the sea. Maybe the open top bus is close on height, and would just fit if driven right down the middle. In which case, it wasn't "driven accidentally under the bridge," it was just driven incompetently under the bridge.

David9694 replied to andystow | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think the tight fit theory must be right - 99% sure you'd have to pass under the bridge to get to/from the pier and you wouldn't want to be a passenger on the top deck if so.  Also did you notice the second picture on the article? is this where someone says "a lick of emulsion will sort that"? In this case, I think it would.

Also in Google street view, it briefly captures an enclosed scaffold column under the bridge:  perhaps making good the last incident? 

David9694 replied to stonojnr | 2 years ago
0 likes

To see its flat-mate?

I met a double decker bus on my Sunday ride, out on one of our lovely tree-lined OS yellow roads, where no bus has run in decades and probably not ever a double decker. Wedding reception, was my best guess.  At least the height of a bridge is known, overhanging trees, not so much. 

Pages

Latest Comments