Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Aksium Race 2007/2008 spokes

Desperately trying to find a(ny) replacement spoke(s) for my old(?)/aged Mavic Aksium Race wheels. Tried loads of places - no one it seems and not even Mavic can help.
The product codes are 996 077 01 (silver) 996 075 01 (black)
Can anyone help, or can you please point me to someone who might be able to ... ??
Any and all help would be mightily appreciated - I really love riding my Giant TCR Carbon bike and I am pretty loathe to shell out £3k on a new bike 'cos I busted a spoke!! 😩
Maybe, as I turn 70, I'm just getting too fat for it after all .... ??!! 😂🥳

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Rendel Harris | 2 weeks ago
1 like

As long as you get the right length and cross-section of spoke it really isn't important to have an absolutely exact replacement. Otherwise very good used Aksium wheels can be had on eBay for about £40 for a single wheel or £75-£100 for a wheelset, I've bought several when refurbishing friends' bikes, never been disappointed. Definitely no need for £3000 on a new bike!

comm88 replied to Rendel Harris | 5 days ago
2 likes

Hi Rendel ... found an Aksium wheel with spokes ... trotted over to Glossop to pick it up ... £25 ... but the rim is totally cream-crackered - never mind - got it to my LBS ... only to be told that my own rim is badly cracked at some spoke holes and cannot be used any more!! So £75 down the swanee + petrol. Lesson learned ... DO NOT try to refurb - just buy new wheels!!! Thnx for helping me out with a very useful post.

Sniffer | 3 weeks ago
1 like

This might feel a bit patronising and if it is stuff you already know, please ignore.

I assume the wheels are original and the bike will have rim brakes? Depending on how much riding you have done I suspect the rims might be quite worn.  Check if the rims are concave.  If so, they are not worth repairing.  They do wear out and can be considered consumables, though depending on how much and the conditions you ride in the lifespan can be very different.

Buying new wheels for an old bike can be a great way to give it a lease of life, and sometimes a bit of an upgrade.

comm88 replied to Sniffer | 5 days ago
3 likes

Hi Sniffer - thnx for your post and the helpful advice. In the end, my rim was cracked at several spoke holes, so new wheels was the only sensible answer! Got some Fulcrum 3 Racing wheels which have considerably extended the life of my Giant TCR carbon steed!! Happy again - at last!! 

Sniffer replied to comm88 | 4 days ago
1 like

I have owned a pair of Fulcrum 3s. They won't let you down and are a good choice.

comm88 replied to Sniffer | 4 days ago
0 likes

Thnx once again, Sniffer - at amost 70 I doubt they'll make me go any faster, but they certainly feel good. New bikes are very tempting, but I am no longer doing the hefty miles I was even 10 years ago so the outlay (and indulgence!) really don't make a lot of sense when both my Trek & Giant bikes service my needs as adequately as I can expect! 🥴 Ride safe!

OnYerBike | 3 weeks ago
2 likes

I can't help with your spoke problem, but surely a new wheel is a far more economical option than a whole new bike? Unless you want an excuse to buy a whole new bike...

Even aside from the broken spoke, given your bike/wheels are rim brake, I would be very suprised if they aren't due to be replaced by now anyway due to rim wear.

comm88 replied to OnYerBike | 5 days ago
1 like

Hi On Yer Bike - quite right - my rim was shot and cracked in places at the spoke holes and is therefore now scrap!! So new wheels it was and I'm riding my Giant carbon TCR again and I am well happy!! Thnku for taking the time to leave me some helpful advice. Very much appreciated. 👍

Dnnnnnn | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

I'm not familiar with the specific wheels - but is there something unique about the spoke or its fitting that a generic replacement of the right length wouldn't work? Maybe post a photo or two?

comm88 replied to Dnnnnnn | 5 days ago
1 like

Hi Dnnnnn - yah, the hubs are Mavic Aksium only so the spoke length is quite critical, but ... my LBS "discovered" (at the handsome cost of £50!!!) that my Aksium rim is shot - cracked at several spoke holes - so it cannot be reused/refurbed. So the only solution was a set of replacement wheels, which have actually worked out beautifully, so I am well pleased and riding again! Thanku for taking the time to post some very helpful advice. Much appreciated. 

Latest Comments