Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Car crashes into building - please post your Local news stories

Running this one up the flagpole to see who salutes... 

I just don't remember this being a thing until recently, now it seems a daily occurrence.
Could it be that there are drivers not up to the job, too many cars; should houses be made to ride in single file, shops put on high viz, why are we putting newer buildings in danger like this, it's irresponsible. 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18649201.car-crash-wall-iceland-s...

'A Dorset Police spokesperson said: "Dorset Police was called at 12.48pm on Thursday, August 13, to a report of a collision involving a car and a wall outside Iceland on Poole Road in Bournemouth.

"It is reported that the vehicle was also in collision with a pedestrian, but they did not require medical treatment." ' 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2596 comments

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
4 likes

They were planning on flooring it

andystow replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
0 likes

Jogle wrote:

CCTV shows moment vehicle almost flipped after smashing into parked car and leaving scene I've read the comments at the bottom and it seems to be that it isn't the fault of the driver; the parked car is to blame for being parked on the wrong side of the road. I must also point out that I can't see that the parked car was wearing hi-viz or a helmet, they were just asking for trouble if you ask me! https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/cctv-shows-moment-vehic...

The struck car did not appear to have been left with its parking brake on.

hawkinspeter replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
3 likes

//cdn.jwplayer.com/v2/media/IYtbQd0Q/poster.jpg)

It's lucky that they didn't kill anyone or else it would have been in-fanta-cide

David9694 replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
2 likes

Four incidents (+ boulders) and great faith in paint and signs: 

"Now, Mr Locke is hoping the incident leads to better signs on the road to warn people of the turn. He hopes black-and-white chevrons to indicate the bend are added to prevent future accidents."

ktache replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
2 likes

Spectators whose very presence encourages foolish and dangerous driving are hit by foolish and dangerous driver.

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Will they follow the logic of cycle path protection though and declare the lamp post dangerous (because someone hit it) and remove it?

Hirsute replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
2 likes

Those bollards need sacking.

andystow replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
2 likes

Quote:

"It was very surprising when I saw it on Facebook. I suppose it was someone not from this area as everyone knows there is a turn there, unless it was like a health issue maybe."

So someone's going to crash into the building because they didn't know there was a turn there?! I could almost understand going down the driveway, but the reason not to drive where the building is, is that there's a building there, in front of you, visible, and definitely not a road. Roads are seldom vertical.

Quote:

Another resident who did not wish to be named said: "I didn't know there was an accident, I hope everyone is alright."

Great reporting, interviewing someone who knows nothing about the incident. They might as well have interviewed someone in Australia.

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

Apparently not a "medical episode"  3 and no mention of anyone being under investigation for this.  I guess it must have been the Citroen...

NOtotheEU replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
2 likes

Simon E wrote:

Michael Vose "deliberately crashed his BMX X6 into a bungalow" in Bolton.

WOW, I can't believe a BMX did that much damage, & why was the pensioner keeping a vehicle in her front room?

chrisonabike replied to carlosdsanchez | 1 year ago
2 likes

Eastern Daily Press wrote:

The road was blocked while the incident was dealt with.

Even though someone had managed to drive it fully into the garden.  But cyclists...

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

It could be that the skip was delivered and the builders shoved it into the building empty. Skip lorries often pick up skips in odd ways (I've lived next to a few building sites) so the builders assumed the skip lorry could drag it out, and didn't account for a spacially challenged driver?

ktache replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

It's the way it looks to have been moving at speed, on its roof before hitting the tree which went deep into the front.

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

Planning on doing a runner 🧥

andystow replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

hirsute wrote:

Those bollards need sacking.

Whoever installed them needs sacking. Those bollards are easily capable of stopping that car when installed properly. It looks like someone took a shortcut and just sank them into soil below the thin pavers, instead of a significant mass of concrete.

srchar replied to andystow | 1 year ago
0 likes

I hadn't realised that your average Facebook user has the recall skills to navigate roads by memory rather than sight.

David9694 replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Can you man-handle an empty skip along the ground? I suppose the lorry could pull it out, which might have been what was being attempted here as the door frame has been pulled away.  Seems like a lot of trouble for builders to go to?

David9694 replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

Thank goodness e-bikes are limited to 25 km/h 

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Yes, typically with a mini-digger. It does seem like the mistaken assumption of what goes in must come out.

David9694 replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
3 likes

Beginning to think we need a new thread for "car overturns..." stories - a bit like the original CCIB theme, you just start noticing story after story where you didn't before. 

hawkinspeter replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
1 like

Doesn't look like broad daylight to me

Sriracha replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
3 likes
David9694 wrote:

Police catch 'unbelievable' A38 driver with massive carpet on its roof

from Devonlive 

That takes some beating.

Awavey replied to Jogle | 1 year ago
1 like

Well it's a moot point if it made a difference here, but it's a "must not" rule in the HC to park your car facing traffic at night, and I'm assuming part of the pavement doesnt count as a proper parking space.

0 likes

On a serious note (for once) the video posted by hirsute shows what happened - I.e. another car turns across the police car's path - SMIDYT with your blue flashing lights.

A lucky escape for one shopper (as reported by Belfast Live) 

David9694 replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

These so-called car meets cannot be described as "events". If is like those we had a run of in Southampton, they are a mass trespass and often a noise nuisance for local residents. 

All made worse by the "let them have their fun" attitude in the comments, while a cycle cafe (Warren Row - remember all that?) gets the local council coming after it. 

3 likes

Hello, Halfords, yes, I'm having trouble with my brakes. 

I can make you an appointment to bring it in Sir, but we often find it's the nut that holds the steering wheel. 

David9694 replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

We need a black box in every car that means it will not start for someone in this state, will not be driven like this - it stops, not just a warning - and ensures that no car will start for Vose until his ban is up or more preferably, ever. 

IanMSpencer replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
1 like

When was the last time you saw a car with parking lights switched on? Back in the day, my dad had a special parking light wired in with a long wire  (don't think we had a fag lighter fitted as an extra) that clipped onto the window of his Mk1 1100 (the one with wing mirrors) - which also meant you could park on the wrong side of the road as you fitted it with the white light facing backwards. Our Mk2 1100 had a small built in parking light on the frame between the doors. 

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
3 likes

We posted within 2 mins of each other on the same story.

One twitter comment was the cop driver should have braked and taken the hit rather than risk endangering others. (protective cage, air bags, crumple zones).

You can clearly see how that lady was protected by that mass of cans.

That's one of my background fears with being overtaken on bends - they are going to take me out when they swerve to avoid a head on.

IanMSpencer replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Not the first one to involve spectators. Bassett's Pole was 2004:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2004/may/woman-dies-after-bassetts-p...

Solihull like many other places has permanent injunctions in place (though I think the legality of such blanket injunctions has successfully been challenged - you can't make an injunction against someone who hasn't been involved in or made aware of in the legal argument or some such, if I understood it correctly).

Pages

Latest Comments