Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

I'm doing a LEJoG this year

I've just pulled the trigger on my airfare to do LEJoG. I'm in for three weeks, arriving LHR on 27 August, departing 17 September. My plan was to use the 2 week route from Britain's Best Bike Ride, maybe with a rest day or two, giving me a good buffer if things go awry. I'm in good enough shape that I could do the ten day route if I really wanted (I don't.)

Unless someone is adamant that I'll have better luck with weather doing a JoGLE that time of year, I plan to ride south to north. Something like this...

27 Aug: Arrive Heathrow, train to Penzance
28 Aug: Penzance - Land's End - Wadebridge (77 mi)
29 Aug: Wadebridge - Chulmleigh (66 mi)
30 Aug: Chulmleigh - Glastonbury (75 mi)
31 Aug: Glastonbury - Ross-on-Wye (81 mi)
01 Sep: Rest day? Sunday.
02 Sep: Ross-on-Wye - Market Drayton (89 mi)
03 Sep: Market Drayton - Mellor (82 mi)
04 Sep: Mellor - Sedbergh (53 mi)
05 Sep: Sedbergh - Langholm (77 mi)
06 Sep: Langholm - Peebles (50 mi)
07 Sep: Rest day? Saturday.
08 Sep: Peebles - Perth (78 mi)
09 Sep: Perth - Braemar (50 mi)
10 Sep: Braemar - Inverness (82 mi)
11 Sep: Inverness - Altnaharra (76 mi)
12 Sep: Altnaharra - John o'Groats (74 mi)
13 Sep: Rest day?
14-16 Sep: Train close to London, visit some family
17 Sep: Depart Heathrow

I plan to carry minimal camping gear just in case, but generally I'll be paying for lodging. If a farmer sprays me down, it will be in the news.

If anyone wants to join me for all or part of it, I'll put my email in the comments. Or just join me for a beer or two, I'm hoping to find a pub every night and most lunch times.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

105 comments

David9694 | 1 week ago
0 likes

I wanted to ask about how you were loaded, Andy, it obviously works but you appeared lop-sided and everything was up-front. 

andystow replied to David9694 | 5 days ago
2 likes

I've tried both ways, and prefer a front load to rear if I can do just one. I do have a rear rack for the bike, but I don't think I've toured with it. I had a rear-biased load on my previous touring bike, and didn't like how it handled. The only time it feels awkward is if you're trying to lift the fully loaded bike. Also, you just can't hop up a kerb.

Here's a pic from the only tour I could find where I had something on the rear of this bike. It's the same bike, before I had it welded and poorly repainted. This was about 165 miles over two days with one night camping, from Normal, Illinois to downtown Chicago. I also had cooking gear, which I didn't have on my LEJoG. Not sure how I secured the tent, as I don't see the Tubus front rack on there.

chrisonabike replied to andystow | 5 days ago
1 like

Thanks for the explanation!

My 2 cents - too much to rear = scary squirrelly handling.  Too much to front you turn like a tanker.

The latter is probably fine on a tour.  For utility use I definitely see why some more upright bikes have the load at front which stays fixed to the head tube / down tube and doesn't turn with the fork.

andystow replied to chrisonabike | 4 days ago
2 likes

chrisonabike wrote:

For utility use I definitely see why some more upright bikes have the load at front which stays fixed to the head tube / down tube and doesn't turn with the fork.

Yes, a Brompton with the load on the carrier block handles just as twitchily no matter how heavy the load is!

pockstone replied to andystow | 3 days ago
1 like

I think you may be in danger of ignoring the elephant on the bike!

andystow | 1 week ago
6 likes

I luckily got an estate car from Wick, so transporting the bike has been super easy!

All boxed up now, I'm staying with my uncle in the London suburbs before flying out on Tuesday.

quiff replied to andystow | 1 week ago
2 likes

Just thinking - Wick and Penzance must have a potentially problematic number of one way hires... 

andystow replied to quiff | 1 week ago
3 likes

quiff wrote:

Just thinking - Wick and Penzance must have a potentially problematic number of one way hires... 

Possibly. The one-way charge was only about £80 on top of the normal charges, which is a lot less than I've come across in the US for an equivalent distance. Maybe the LEJoG and JoGLE one-ways somewhat cancel out at each end.

pockstone replied to quiff | 6 days ago
2 likes

This problem can be overcome. I once met a bloke in Slaidburn YH who had had enough cycling (?) by the time he'd got to John O'Groat's and was walking back to Land's end!

andystow | 2 weeks ago
12 likes

It's a wrap, except for a one mile ride in the morning to collect my rental car.

1074 miles in 14 days of riding, for an average of 76.7 miles a day. Two rest days. Some of the weather wasn't great, but it's September in Scotland, really there was less bad weather and a lot more sunshine than I expected. And the weather never stopped me, although the north wind did slow me down.

Riding with other Andy for a few days was great, had some good conversations, and suddenly we each had a photographer when needed.

We rode for about an hour today with a young German couple who were doing a good pace, but they're going to the most northerly point, not John o'Groats. They've been cycling all over Britain for about six weeks!

The stretch of A836 from Thurso to Castletown was by far the worst, busiest stretch of road on the whole trip. I would not do that again.

Oh, and the Stagecoach driver just before we got to Wick: you suck, get a different job. You so badly misjudged that pass that you made drivers on the opposite side of the road come to a complete stop to accommodate you. And still passed us too closely.

I'm feeling good, I didn't really suffer except on about a half dozen climbs (The Lecht!) but a few days of recovery will be nice.

Just had a last dinner together with Andy, he has an early train to catch tomorrow. Enjoying another drink (Glengoyne I bought at the Whisky Castle) back at my room in Wick. Sláinte!

David9694 replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

Brilliant! What an achievement, doesn't seem like 5 minutes from my armchair that you were picking your way through Somerset.

Did you see these two on your travels, perchance?

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/meet-stokie-nat...

andystow replied to David9694 | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

No, I'd probably have remembered that.

David9694 replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

andystow wrote:

No, I'd probably have remembered that.

Oh OK, you did say you'd seen the northern lights (with the naked eye IIRC).

perce replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

Well done Andy, sounds like you had a great time, glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed reading your posts, it's made me think I could do it myself sometime. Perhaps.

ktache replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
8 likes

Thank you for taking us on your journey.

mark1a replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

Thanks for sharing this amazing trip with the class, I've been living the journey vicariously through your posts, and it's made me wonder whether there's a LEJoG in me one day. One day...

Well done and all the best, safe trip home. 

Rendel Harris replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

Well ridden sir! Been most enjoyable to follow your progress, safe journey home.

chrisonabike replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
5 likes

A great trip, and thanks for the travelogue!

I'm still not sure why all your kit was on the front? But having mis-balanced my bike to the rear one to many times at least you won't be wheelying...

kinderje replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

'Well done' doesn't really seem to do it justice. Thanks for the daily updates here and on strava. Hope you enjoy the next day or two's rest and have a safe journey home.

wtjs replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

Oh, and the Stagecoach driver just before we got to Wick: you suck, get a different job

That sort of driving is a Stagecoach requirement for employment! They know that the Lancashire Constabulary b******s just bin all such reports, and that if they do 'accidentally' KSI a cyclist, they can just say the cyclist 'jumped straight out in front of me; I didn't stand a chance' and have the police blame the cyclist.

https://upride.cc/incident/px12dnu_stagecoach40bus_closepass/

https://upride.cc/incident/px12eez_stagecoach41_closepass/

https://upride.cc/incident/px12dne_stagecoach42bus_closepass/

https://upride.cc/incident/px12dnd_stagecoach42_closepass/

PS Well done! It has been interesting following your progress

pockstone replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

Excellent trip, thanks for taking the trouble to share it. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

dubwise replied to andystow | 1 week ago
1 like

Well done Andy and thanks for your updates, I've enjoyed reading them.

Also glad that the weather behaved itself in general.

Hace a safe journey home. Cheers.

HoarseMann replied to andystow | 1 week ago
3 likes

Nice job! Enjoyed the progress updates. Some good photos here and on your Strava; as someone who rides in a fairly flat area, I particularly liked the regular 'biggest climb' awards 🤣!

andystow | 2 weeks ago
10 likes

All the different weather and a headwind again today. About 87 miles from Inverness to Altnaharra. Other Andy got a head start on me, but I eventually caught up when we stopped for a snack and coffee in a town called Dingwall and/or Pitglassie. The town signs and maps disagree.

As I left Inverness, I was having trouble finding the path to the A9 bridge, but then I found four other cyclists also doing a LEJoG. I was chatting with a woman from Luxembourg, her English was a little better than my French. When they stopped on the bridge to take photos, I went ahead still trying to catch Andy.

The scenery was beautiful again. I did experience my first (only!) fall on the trip when we were cycling on a path parallel to the road, covered in moss and pine needles. We were just questioning whether we should be on the road instead, when I slid off the edge at maybe 8 MPH. No real damage, and we went back to the road as soon as we could.

Our next stop was at The Hub, just before Bonar Bridge. This was a hidden gem, with some really good sandwiches (I had bacon, Brie, and cranberry).

A bit later, the route went right through the parking lot for the Fall of Shin. We walked down a few minutes to the Salmon Leap, and there were a half dozen people down there. There were some small salmon unsuccessfully leaping into the falls, but it was impossible to get a good photo.

About 25 miles before Altnaharra, we had our first really bad, obviously on purpose close pass. We'd both experienced some dumb misjudged passes, but this was malice. I think the car is now parked here at the Altnaharra Hotel, but I'm restraining myself.

Other Andy is staying at a B&B about 8 miles short of Altnaharra so we'll meet up in the morning. Those eight miles were actually some of the best cycling of the trip, so he's got a treat ahead of him.

Those other four cyclists from this morning were at the hotel when I arrived. They're actually a group of six doing LEJoG, traveling with a van and taking turns driving.

Oh, and it turns out this is fairly far north, and the northern lights are barely visible outside! Everyone here has been going out trying to get photos, and I got a couple of decent ones. My wife will be jealous.

Enjoying an ancnoc whisky after my expensive (but very good) dinner at the hotel. Sláinte!

andystow replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
8 likes

Northern lights! Not this good to the naked eye

brooksby replied to andystow | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

andystow wrote:

I think the car is now parked here at the Altnaharra Hotel, but I'm restraining myself.

"Oh dear, my heavily laden touring bike appears to have fallen over and damaged your wankpanzer.  So sorry!"

brooksby | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

Are you there yet??  3

chrisonabike replied to brooksby | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

Don't wish your time away!

andystow replied to brooksby | 2 weeks ago
2 likes
brooksby wrote:

Are you there yet??  3

One more sleep.

andystow | 2 weeks ago
14 likes

I rode all day today from Braemar to Inverness with other Andy, but he's staying at a B&B, not the hostel I'm in.

We got started about 8:40 after a small hostel breakfast, and rode through to Tomintoul, where we stopped for coffee and a sandwich at The Whisky Castle and Highland Market for lunch and coffee. I didn't sample any Whiskies, but I did buy a mini Glengoyne bottle for tonight.

A bit over 86 miles for me today, and over 6000 feet of elevation gain. Yes, that Lecht climb is serious! I probably walked a half mile today. But it's done.

We had all the weather. Some rain, some sleet, strong mostly headwinds all day, but also some hours of beautiful partly cloudy skies. Today was the first day with my legs covered with leg warmers, and I was glad I packed them. It was under 10 °C when we started, and I had my down puffy vest on, but I soon removed it.

We made another brief stop in Grantown-on-Spey where other Andy bought some treats from a bakery, then pushed on with most of the long climbs behind us.

The weather continued to be very variable, but was nothing my layers weren't up to. We made a brief stop at Culloden for a few photos just before Inverness, then headed into town and parted ways at his B&B for tonight.

Still a good day despite the weather, and I'm feeling pretty good. Sláinte!

Pages

Latest Comments