Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclist antipathy

Do some motorists dislike cyclists because they think our use of the roads is without a legitimate purpose? 

While we see going for a bike ride to enjoy an hour or so riding out as normal behaviour, do they see that as not a legitimate reason for using the road? If someone is dressed in lycra is this antipathy further exacerbated as they are clearly dressed for a sporting endeavour not for going to the shop, place of work, pub, friend's house? 

If cyclists were perceived as being on essential or unavoidable journeys would it change the perception?

I am not sure it would entirely but I do think there is a feeling among some motorists that cyclists lack legitimacy hence the repeated calls for Tax and Registration and Insurance. Then Cyclists would have to obey the rules of the road wouldn't they? I mean no car driver has ever sped, jumped a light, have they? People that behave less than well exist in every class of road user. 

I do think the advent of 20mph limits for cars will see cyclists eventually having to observe the 20mph limit as well. When 20mph roads were uncommon it did not matter but as they become more common I think it is inevitable. How they bring it in I don't know, speedometers on a bike fitted from new would have to happen but what about people like me riding bicycles built in the 1970's I do have a phone but I don't always have it with me or turned onto a bike computer app especially if I am miles from home it is then probably on google maps so I don't get lost.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

JLasTSR replied to chrisonabike | 4 weeks ago
3 likes

I agree with all you say, I just feel there has to be an underlying reason that is the foundation that validates some peoples' annoyance at the very site of someone on a bicycle. 

Motorcyclists do not seem to get the same bad press for example.

chrisonabike replied to JLasTSR | 4 weeks ago
1 like

That's a good observation.  I'd suggest that motorcyclists are fairly rare (figures I can google suggest around about the cyclists making journeys mark - about 1% or so) so - like cyclists (outside of some culture war / media frenzy) - perhaps most people don't actually think about them much if at all?

Perhaps there is more parity with cars etc. - since "they pay tax" / "they have a licence".  Two other "niggles" with cyclists aren't there - motorbikes don't tend to hold up cars (so not "in the way") and I don't recall motorcyclists filtering on the inside, more overtaking.  Likely this feels safer on a motorbike than a bike.

On "conflict" - while it's true that drivers often fail to look for / see motorbikes ("Think bike!") I suspect they're slightly more visible than cyclists (mostly because lights).  Also they're a bit more chunky - perhaps that cues "leave extra space".  Maybe also less likely to mis-estimate their speed (non-cyclists seem pretty bad at doing so with cyclists)?

Motorbikes also come in different categories (also a bit like bikes).  I think the opinions and media reactions are divided between these.

Full power machines appear to get a pass / respect.  Presumably similar to cars e.g. "but licenced, insured, you paid a lot of money for one so that gives you some status etc." Maybe a certain regard for someone doing something "dangerous" dressed like a riot policeman?

Mopeds - definitely lower status (because seen as cheaper) but probably more acceptable again because "they pay tax" / "they have a licence".  And of course lots of these folks are more obviously working!

Yoof on scrambler bikes (or stolen machines)?  At least here in Edinburgh people have been injured and indeed at least one killed.  Sometimes gets into the local news.  The focus doesn't seem to be on the mode of transport so much though...

lonpfrb replied to JLasTSR | 4 weeks ago
1 like

Motorcycling has changed a lot from being a cheap form of transport open to anyone into a high technology product mainly sold to middle aged men, excepting the delivery riders. Young people can afford cars so get pushed there by parental angst and conformity.
Electric scooters seem to fill the cheap transport niche of 50cc mopeds of old.

JLasTSR replied to lonpfrb | 3 weeks ago
0 likes

It is still seen as an indulgence that risks their lives for a very limited thrill which is often bordering on reckless, and they regularly ignore speed limits. Apart from that they are fine. I have enjoyed a few miles on the back of a friend's Kawasaki many years ago.  

Pages

Latest Comments