Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bibtight/Shorts Seam Perineum pain

I have several pairs of Bibtights/Shorts but all have a seam underneath the Pad which I can feel and chafes when riding - does anyone know of any Bibtights/Shorts without a seam that runs under the Perineum?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

rdaddict | 2 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I don't think its the saddle as my sit bones feel ok it's the Bibtights/Bi shorts that seem to be the problem - for some reason they all rub dead centre of the Perineal area, my sit bones measure a very narrow 95mm and I'm 6'0 tall, the straps of most bibtights pull the pad up too tight..or the straps are not long enough? even rides of 30mins are enough to chafe, it's spoiling my enjoyment of something I love

Rendel Harris replied to rdaddict | 2 months ago
0 likes

Maybe your bodyshape doesn't fit the model for bibs, perhaps try bibless, there are plenty available in all price ranges from Decathlon to Rapha, and if you miss the feeling of security of bibs there are various cycling-specific adjustable clip-on braces available.

VeloUSA replied to rdaddict | 1 month ago
1 like

Your sit bones don't play in the perineal area. Here in the states our LBS allow trying out saddles. If I was in your shoes I would try out saddles with a cutout. Take a read here - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=reason+bike+saddles...

Cayo | 2 months ago
0 likes

It also occurs to me that saddle choice may be contributing to the discomfort. Whilst I'd still say it shouldn't normally be possible to feel the seam, a flatter saddle may increase the chances. Are you riding a saddle with a cutout? That would make it close to impossible to feel a seam.

Cayo | 2 months ago
2 likes

I have to agree with those suggesting you may have a medical issue at play here, because this really shouldn't be a 'Princess and the Pea' scenario - no way should you feel the seam. I remember my first pairs of shorts having synthetic chamois rather than the modern multi-layered shaved foam padding that the likes of Castelli employ. Even with those, I felt no seam.

What brand(s) of shorts are you using?

Envee NV | 2 months ago
1 like

You can feel a seam through the padding? Really? Is the padding that thin that you can feel the seam? Is there a little knot like structure there? Like a ball? Are these old school leather chamoix pads or newer synthetic ones?

I rode for the last 40 years with pilonidal cysts in the perineum. These swelled up to the size of a small grape till i lanced them and let teh fluid out.

Fiding a pair of shorts without a seam under there is not as eay as it sounds. Most have that seam there. Good luck. Be glad that you do not have cysts to deal with as that is real pain. What you have sounds like a discomfort

Secret_squirrel replied to Envee NV | 2 months ago
2 likes

WTAF is wrong with you,  how dare you attempt to judge the pain of someone else from merely a post.

Get back in your box.

Envee NV replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 months ago
1 like
Secret_squirrel wrote:

WTAF is wrong with you,  how dare you attempt to judge the pain of someone else from merely a post.

Get back in your box.

Calm down kipper. Try riding with pilonidal cysts the size of grapes before you make aggressive, insulting, remarks worthy of getting banned. You have no idea what that even feels like. If you did you would not respond like that.

Rendel Harris replied to Envee NV | 2 months ago
3 likes

Envee NV wrote:
Secret_squirrel wrote:

Get back in your box.

Calm down kipper. Try riding with pilonidal cysts the size of grapes before you make aggressive, insulting, remarks worthy of getting banned. You have no idea what that even feels like. If you did you would not respond like that.

There's nothing SS has said there that's remotely worthy of a ban and I think most people would agree that your post was rather stupid with its competitive "I know what real pain is and you're only in discomfort" attitude. Your post didn't actually try to help the OP with advice at all, all you appeared to want to do was tell everyone your pain is much worse. You deserved SS's reaction.

Envee NV replied to Rendel Harris | 1 month ago
0 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

Envee NV wrote:
Secret_squirrel wrote:

Really?

I can pretty much guarantee that my pain is worse. And you have ZERO idea of what pain is so zip your mouth. Try riding with cycsts that you have to lance before you make idiotic remarks. Did they ride with pilonidal cysts? No. Are they disturbed by some little seam? Yeah. Which one hurts more? Mine most likely.

If they are hurt by little seams then maybe they should pick another sport since the pain from lactic acid trumps even my pains.

But most of all i love the little echo chamber here. SO i am bowing out.

The content is crap to be honest and the review are even worse. Lets not say a word about idots on the forums either.

Say want you want.....not going to read it and wont be back to read your venom either so STFU moron

Get back in your box.

There's nothing SS has said there that's remotely worthy of a ban and I think most people would agree that your post was rather stupid with its competitive "I know what real pain is and you're only in discomfort" attitude. Your post didn't actually try to help the OP with advice at all, all you appeared to want to do was tell everyone your pain is much worse. You deserved SS's reaction.

Aluminium can | 2 months ago
2 likes

Lower your saddle by 25mm and go for a ride.  Forget about if you think it's too low or you feel like there's no power, just try this just as an experiment.  Is the pain less or gone at the lower level? 

check12 | 3 months ago
0 likes

castelli x2 air pad has a gel insert under your junk might help 

mike the bike | 3 months ago
10 likes

I well remember the year, 1977 was it, when Perineum Pain won the Derby.  I had a tenner on him and took a cab home, the whole fifty miles.

Freddy56 | 3 months ago
0 likes

I would imagine your chamois is done if you can feel the stitching. The do wear away and I would expect to get three season from a pair of shorts.  Most have three layers. I use Castelli and Galibier for longer spins, both have a fabric seam underneath but I can't feel it on the galibier pair. 

TheBillder | 3 months ago
3 likes

I checked my main 3 pairs (Lusso, Gore, dhb) and all have such a seam running front to back. But I don't understand how you can feel it. Check for a saddle sore?

Latest Comments