Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chris Boardman says he finds riding on road exhausting and unpleasant

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/aug/31/chris-boardman-riding-a-bike-on-uk-roads-feels-too-dangerous-for-me

Quote:

Boardman said he found road riding in parts of the UK “exhausting” and unpleasant. “False modesty aside, I’m about as competent as it gets and I am constantly doing risk assessments. I’m looking at parked cars, seeing which way wheels are turning, everything that’s going on around me. It’s just exhausting. Whereas if I ride on a track or a trail I don’t have to do that and it’s just more pleasant these days,” he said.

Discuss yes

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Interesting read, I really like Chris Boardman.

I live in a pretty rural part of Norfolk, but I own a gravel bike and most of my rides tend to be about fitting in as much tracks and gravel roads as possible.  The wife definitely prefers it when I stay off main roads as much as possible, and I consider the roads around Norfolk to be pretty safe. But I love the complete peace and quiet that tracks and trails offer. I even tend to look at my Strava training by hours ridden rather than distance travelled, to encourage me to go off road more.

Only downside is that you're forever cleaning the bike!

kieren_lon | 7 years ago
0 likes

Doing my motorbike instruction really brought home the dangers of doing exactly, that looking at which way wheels are turned, watching drivers shoulders for movement when overtaking.  While there are skilled cyclists, I think the majority just get by and don't (pride aside) have the skillset required to ride safely on the road - especially busy cities like London and with calculating risk.    I would really like to see a few days dedicated to roadcraft and cycling on the school curriculum so the next generation of drivers and cyclists are better prepared.

When I was training on the motor bike I was truely amazed and how many drivers would literally turn into you (despite making mirror eye contact) as we filtered.  That combined with people tailgating would happen at least 4 times a day (on full day instruction).

I only cycle 2 hours a day so my exposure is less but generally driving standard has been better than expected which I think is in part to cyclists critical mass.  I ride from London zone 1 to zone 5 and in zones 1 & 2 drivers have probably passed 30 other cyclists before they get to me so they are aware.   Things get more sketchy in zones 3,4,5 in ascending order.

I keep my flashy lights on during the day but despite that was still rear ended twice in a month.

With all the checks you do, that brain is turning over at 90% - hardly relaxing.

oldstrath | 7 years ago
3 likes

He's hardly alone in this. 50 mile off road at the weekend, including some steep single track, felt like relaxing fun. 10 mile ride home last night felt scary, with 3 or 4 idiotically close passes, including at least one woman who was attending to a screen and a small child while sat behind a steering wheel.

He's also right about the disparity in risk posed by cars and bikes, and about the inability of our broken legal system even to provide equality of treat!ent, let alone the greater protection for vulnerable uses that ought to be there.

kev-s | 7 years ago
1 like

He's right!!!

On the road you have to be aware of everything around you, pedestrians, cars even other cyclists!

Out on the trail u just tend to look out for the odd rock/tree branch on the trail and the occasional wild animal running out in front of you but most of the time you just having fun!!!

Latest Comments