Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Urgent admin attention required: Team selection broken all competitions

Dave et al

Servers seem to be screwed when trying to pick a team or make transfers for any competition.

Will this be fixed before the giro start?  102

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

156 comments

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

Too much spare time on your hands!

livestrongnick | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you try it puts you in negative transfers and says you've used too many

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just to your middle bit, having someone extra to dave doing that would cost money, and im sure a yearly salary would be more than just the tenner we pay.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't think they would need to be near the servers, they could have remote access, unless it actually goes down, you should be able to get into it remotely.

Even then, someone would charge a fortune for doing it, they would also need to know what they are doing regarding the game functions. So it's not just a simple, boom boom boom, fixed. Dave's put alot of work into the game, knowing him, it will be a complex server, lol

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thats fair enough, and its fair enough for people to be upset with the situation and be able to complain.

But on the whole since ive been involved ive not seen this happen at such a crucial time, and timing you could say is everything, but as a balance and for what people pay, 10 quid for the year id say its more than value for money despite the odd glitch, the timing of this was unfortunate. I guess alot depends on what you expect for a tenner, but for me we get an awful lot of races for the price and when u can barely get 3 pints these days for that price i dont think its bad for a year of fun. And yes there are other games out there that are free, you can get a similar amount for free from this game and also a fair amount of other free games are attached to in my eyes much bigger/more global companies

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

Agree. First time player this year. I have had more than £10s worth of entertainment long before this event.

PS I was affected and didn't get a purist team in until stage 3. I have got over it.

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

As above.What is a tenner nowadays. I reckon you will get 250'ish days racing as a premiun player, that's 4p a day! I cannot comment on what it used to be like as I'm also a first year player, but the season is only half way through, and it's already the best tenner I've spent in a long time.

STEVESPRO 79 replied to TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Just to your middle bit, having someone extra to dave doing that would cost money, and im sure a yearly salary would be more than just the tenner we pay.

Hardly think it would be a yearly salary TER for a couple of hours a week...

TERatcliffe26 replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 8 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Hardly think it would be a yearly salary TER for a couple of hours a week...

But then would need to be near the servers surely? So surely its either a full time capacity or none at all, as im not sure someone with the kind it knowledge needed would want a stanby job for an hour or 2 a week

mdavidford replied to TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Well that's the rub, isn't it? If people are going to pay for something, they're going to expect a certain level of support for it. If the sums don't add up to provide that, then there's a hole in the business plan. In which case, those running the game have various options:
- find some extra investment/income from somewhere - this may not be available
- change the price point to increase the income to the point where it can be funded - it may just not be possible to generate sufficient income
- change the funding model so that people's expectations are lowered - eg fund it through advertising or ask for donations rather than making a charge
- accept the risk, and when something like this inevitably goes wrong, just wear the criticism and lost subscriptions

Either way though, to say that it's just one of those things, that it couldn't have been anticipated, and so people shouldn't complain, is misleading.

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm not asking or expecting you to take any decision. That would be unfair of me. I just think that this perhaps wasn't the best planned time for the game owners to be unavailable.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

In hindsight, no, maybe not, but then there was no way to foresee problems with the server, whatever they were, when it had been running fine the rest of the season.

Aapje | 8 years ago
0 likes

13th on the stage. Just my luck, my best start to a GT fantasy ever.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It is countable, Less than 2% of teams

sanderville | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's coming up to midnight and there's no announcement about whether Stage 1 is void or whether we'll all get free transfers before Stage 2. Are we all supposed to get up early on Sunday morning to find out what's happening, and then crash the server as we all scramble to make whatever changes are forced upon us?

If less than 2% are affected then just let it roll.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't know how many times I can say it, Sanderville, if you look a few comments up. Dave is away, there will be NO official decision made until his return.

In the mean time, Stage 1 scores stand and we get on with it.

sanderville | 8 years ago
0 likes

I read that, Gkam. I'm not asking whether there'll be an announcement tonight. I'm saying it's too late for one. Let the scores stand and don't make them void tomorrow.

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone emailed Dave? This needs to be sorted out or I can see it being a nightmare every day. The only fair way is to neutralise the stage and start afresh. An email needs to go out to all players tonight and the deadline needs to be made for as late as possible tomorrow. Or I imagine there will be 20 stages of pain.

Everyone who wants to play this competition needs to start on a level playing field due to a error on the playing system. You can't penalise those who tried for hours to get a team in and couldn't in an instance like this. If you look at all the threads there are over 100 posts on this, some of whom are very disgruntled.

Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not all of the 100 posts have been from disgruntled people.

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Philip. A good number of people have not been able to enter a team. That means they are 150 points down and they have to use 9 transfers to enter one. The only solution is to completely neutralise.

Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes

Well, I don't entirely understand what's going on but I didn't manage to pick a team this morning. However, I found out just now that I have 54 transfers so I've picked a team of sprinters instead. I wasn't intending to put in the effort to win the overall as I'm not interested in the prize but presumably that puts me in with a slightly better chance of winning the stage! C'est la vie! Or whatever they say in Italy!

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The forum only ever gets used for problems and complaints, I don't see many of the over 1500 teams who were not affects coming to have their say, only the minority, who unfortunately could not get a team in.

I'm off to bed now. As I keep saying, I suggest you play as the game is at the moment, nothing is going to change before the morning and I doubt it will be neutralised at this late stage.

Jonas Lorenzen | 8 years ago
0 likes

I didnt get my teams ready in time wich would be before deadline, a day or a miniute before doesn't matter. I did my part in getting ready, the " server guy" did not. Why should I get punished for the sites lack of server capacity?

PS. I normally never complain in this forum and I'm a nice guy.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

//penarthnews.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/police-samaritans.jpg)

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hey guys let's not get arsy with each other and enjoy the game.

I've sent an email to Dave, no idea when he will pick it up. I suggest we all just put a team in for today and carry on then we accept whatever decision is made.

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

This has gone on too long now. We can't start talking about neutralising stage 1 and 2. And unlimited transfers for 3, as it will just ruin the whole competition for everybody.
its messed up what happened. And needed a quick remedy before the stage start yesterday, which obviously never happened.
So unfortunately with stage 2 due to start shortly we are all just going to have to accept what happened and play on as is.
And hopefully steps can be made to ensure this problem doesn't happen again.

Swirly | 8 years ago
0 likes

7 transfers used for stage 2, I don't know whether to count myself lucky that hitting randomly fill my team a minute before the deadline collected 26 points and 2 riders that I would have selected anyway.

OTOH I find it a bit hard to get annoyed over a game that provides so much distraction for so little going wrong occasionally!

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'll email everyone later. Sorry it's been a mess. More info in the emails

nacho | 8 years ago
0 likes

I unsubscribed from all emails. Can someone repost the email please?

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

i'll repost it on this forum topic

Pages

Latest Comments