Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Urgent admin attention required: Team selection broken all competitions

Dave et al

Servers seem to be screwed when trying to pick a team or make transfers for any competition.

Will this be fixed before the giro start?  102

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

156 comments

mdavidford replied to Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

It wasn't unusable, it was slow

It was so slow as to be unusable, at least for some users.

Gkam84 wrote:

with over 1600 teams in, there were less then 50 teams that I can see who were affected.

As I said, this assumes that anyone who did get a team in was not affected, which is just wrong.

Gkam84 wrote:

It just happens that Dave had something one when the server had an issue, which is not predictable and with Dave being the only one who does the server side of things, we were helpless to do anything to sort it.

Not predictable, but plannable for. It seems the main issue that needs addressing is having only one person who does the server side of things, and apparently with authority to make decisions about how to run the game, and no-one to cover when he's away.

nemysys wrote:

I'm actually quite disappointed in this outcome... this time I think it has been handled badly... a solution that doesn't solve the problem a lot of players experienced.

Hard to see what could have been done though, given that there wasn't anyone who could take a decision to neutralise in the initial short window of opportunity - beyond the apology that's been given, what would you have like to have seen happen that wouldn't have been unfair to somebody?

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, and there ain't no fixing it now.

Gilbert and Sullivan replied to Jonas Lorenzen | 8 years ago
0 likes
Jonas Lorenzen wrote:
Gilbert and Sullivan wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

The forum only ever gets used for problems and complaints, I don't see many of the over 1500 teams who were not affects coming to have their say, only the minority, who unfortunately could not get a team in.

I'm off to bed now. As I keep saying, I suggest you play as the game is at the moment, nothing is going to change before the morning and I doubt it will be neutralised at this late stage.

This.

In golfing parlance "play the ball as it lies" Serial whingers like Simon F are ruining the game,its a fun game ffs!

In golfing you played the ball your self...

@Pharmacieroulant

With incoherent ramblings like that i think you've visited the pharmacy once too often.

Jonas Lorenzen replied to Gilbert and Sullivan | 8 years ago
0 likes
Jonas Lorenzen wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

The forum only ever gets used for problems and complaints, I don't see many of the over 1500 teams who were not affects coming to have their say, only the minority, who unfortunately could not get a team in.

I'm off to bed now. As I keep saying, I suggest you play as the game is at the moment, nothing is going to change before the morning and I doubt it will be neutralised at this late stage.

This.

In golfing parlance "play the ball as it lies" Serial whingers like Simon F are ruining the game,its a fun game ffs!

In golfing you played the ball your self...

@Pharmacieroulant

With incoherent ramblings like that i think you've visited the pharmacy once too often.

... yeah, i should probably see my doctor more frequently..thx for the advice Glibert..

Alan Tullett | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've tried again but only got up to two riders. Obviously, there's some kind of bug somewhere as I doubt it's just extra requests causing the problem.

I would put up a team on here but I don't know the rider values so I don't know if it would be legal or not. It'll have to be neutralised I think and transfers sorted out as well. Complicated but possible. Otherwise I'm going to enjoy the first stage. With no bike to win I'm pretty easy about it. I was only going to go for a stage win in any case as the multi-tool looks much better than what I've currently got and as I do bikeability and tend to be the person checking the kid's bikes a good one would come in handy.

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

I do generally try to at least get my purist team done early, although I prefer to leave the standard till later. However, we're in the middle of buying a house, the road race league has just started and needs timing, the track league starts next week, our regional youth omnium round is next weekend - all of which need timing and scoring sorted out for - so I just haven't had time this week, and any earlier than that, the start lists are still too fluid to trust. I would normally expect that the day before the start should be safe enough.

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

simon F - bloody hell mate thats some schedule you've got there ! I thought mine was bad with shifts and kids football.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've been able to use the site, was slow last night, wasn't about to get on first thing this morning and has been fine since about half 10. Everyone seems to be logging in at the last minute and that's why it's been slow, I did get a server error at one point.

Everyone is in the same boat, the competition has been open with a full startlist for a while. So NO neutralising it in my eyes.

Yes, everyone works different schedules, but that is not something we can fix.

livestrongnick | 8 years ago
0 likes

It is working now though  26

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is a tricky situation. In an ideal world everone would get a team in early and come back just before the start to make sure the riders hadn't changed etc.
I picked my first draft at the beginning of the week and went and made a second version later in the week.

We have similar problems when a rider doesn't start at the last minute and people complain that he was in the start list, just luck of the draw as to when you log on and select your team.

I guess if it was just playing up this morning that might be one thing as the original deadline was at 8am. So any people who were coming on after that would have missed the deadline anyways.
but from what I heard the problems started last night. Which is a perfectly acceptable time to choose your team.

So I don't know what should be done personally, just a bit gutted cos pretty sure I've got the winning purist team!  16
Plus don't want to lose any points as both my teams took into acount the first stage, so if that is neutralised I'd lose transfers swapping out my riders for stage 1 that didn't get me any points.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The problem being, those of us who work on the game do the back end work, but nothing to do with the servers. Dave is the man for that. If he's busy with anything, then we are all stuck.

Understandably, the game has been running fairly smoothly till last night and Dave has other things to do, as we all have. So on a Friday, if the game goes tits up and Dave is on his way to somewhere else and not at a computer. I'm afraid we are all in the same boat, can only hope that it sorts itself or Dave gets to it before the deadline

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

I didn't mean that I expected you personally to fix it, just that the behaviour of the system might appear different to you as you have backend access so it might appear to be working smoothly even though it was anything but smooth for the rest of us.

Also, I don't think 18 hours is ridiculously last minute so we should still be allowed to pick a full set of teams without disadvantage in numbers of transfers, or closed transfer windows for purist teams.

Whether to neutralise the first stage is a difficult decision - do so and those who picked teams for it lose out - don't do so, and those of us who didn't have next to no chance of doing well overall.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I know what you meant, but we see the same as anyone else, apart from the game updating, we can access the site during that time. The rest of the time, we see what you see and if it's running slow or offline, that's what we get

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Although I submitted my team in time I guess the fairest thing to do would be to neutralise stage 1 and allow unlimited trades ahead of stage 2 so that everyone is in the same boat

chiv30 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's fine stumps no offence taken , just pointing out how different ppl play  1

Gkam with all due respect it was unusable after 7:30pm last night.
As others have said my team was picked but I always try to do a check the night before a comp for purist teams and again on the start morning for both teams , it's not the paying and non paying punters faults that road.cc is having tech issues and you only have one tech expert .

As a paying customer in my eyes any issues should be resolved in time for anyone to picjk a team up until deadline otherwise you would make the deadlines a week before the race in your eyes  7

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

The sooner a decision is made the better. A lot of people will have the evening mapped out.

fxceltic | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had th same issues from about 8.30 last night but persevered and got all my teams in this morning.
If the stage is neutralised then OK but there's no way people should not have to use their transfers to pick teams otherwise they are then getting an advantage on those of us that got our teams in.
I deliberately picked all sprinters basically knowing I would get a bad score today but in order to save transfers, but if everyone else can now just Swan in without having to use any and pick who they like, who would otherwise have had to Use some after the TTT, I might go mental.

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lets all go mental!!!!

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, lets Aragonite....The Giro official site went down twice as I was doing the scoring....

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Doing the scoring.... Suggests the stage stands? Does that mean I can do my transfers, then get on with my Saturday night?

TERatcliffe26 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Scores are being done until Dave makes a decision otherwise, If Dave makes a decision otherwise he will let everyone know, and as of yet he hasn't made any decision as he is away and currently busy, but a decision will be made tonight at some point one way or another, and thats as much as I know im afraid.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

As TER says. I'm sure Dave will make a decision, but scores are done

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thats ok TER. Just have to make some inebriated decisions later. And thanks Gkam for getting the scores up so quick.

figus | 8 years ago
0 likes

I personally think the only fair solution is to neutralise the stage and for everyone to start stage 2 as if it were stage 1. I struggle to see a rational argument against this course of action. A deadline was set and, having paid to play the game, it is unequivocally my right to pick my team as and when I see fit, subject to the obvious constraint of the deadline.
As it happens I got a full team in, but I would consider it a gross injustice to those whose schedules dictated that they pick this morning if the scores were to stand. How can that possibly be a reasonable decision?

Do the right thing Dave - the game went down and everybody accepts that is a fact of life, but it is not right to unfairly disadvantage people.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can see your point fingus, but the majority of people had a team in and ready for stage one, by neutralising the stage, you are punishing the many to benefit the few.

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

And by not having a working system, you are punishing the few for no fault of their own.

STEVESPRO 79 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I said that I would not get involved in the forum anymore but I have to comment on this...I got my team in as I always put one in early and then tweak it at the last minute...
But it is a NO BRAINER.......Deadline was set and the site was down.....The stage has to be neutralised and everyone has free transfers for Stage 2 as if it were Stage 1......
There is no other option....

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

We'll see what Dave says, I don't know a way to change the transfers apart from adding more. I like many set my team up for certain stages, so to lose stage 1 points is going to piss me off.

backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes

All I know is its getting late. And as I was up at 4:30am this morning, kids permitting I'd like to be asleep til after 8am 2moro, and we still don't know the status of stage 1 or how many transfers if any for stage 2.
So might be a bit late in the day to start wafting around unlimited transfers!

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can someone contact Dave and ask him to make a decision please?

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't make the decision, so I don't know. Dave is away as far as I know, so I would sort out your team on the current situation and not hang on till the last moment.

IF I could make decisions, the scores would stand as they are, I know there were problems with the server, it was slow last night and through to this morning, then it went down (I believe this is when Dave was fixing it) and it came back on around half 10 and worked from then on, with the deadline being shifted to let people get teams in.

Pages

Latest Comments