Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Urgent admin attention required: Team selection broken all competitions

Dave et al

Servers seem to be screwed when trying to pick a team or make transfers for any competition.

Will this be fixed before the giro start?  102

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

156 comments

pclark007 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I put in my teams several days ago so was only minimally affected today when I went for one last tweak of my purist team and like many others was unable to do so for the last several hours before the transfer deadline. I scored reasonably well on the stages but would have improved on these scores with the final tweak.

However, in defense of fairness to all, I think it only reasonable to negate all stage one scores give everyone 9 more transfers for their standard team, and allow everyone to choose a purist team again (one time only). I think this is the most equitable solution in order to level the playing field. This seems equally fair to all. Hope this is technically possible.

Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes

The only time I write on this forum is to provide updates on races, but I have to say something. When 'apparently' the site was unusable after 7.30 pm yesterday I was still in the pub. I then picked my standard team somewhere between 8.30 and 9.00 pm with no problem, albeit a little slow. I checked this morning, as always, to see if any of my riders had withdrawn at about 9.00am. After that I noticed the site was unusable ( after the cut-off time). In the past I have followed incorrect information from the site, which has cost me points, but I have never complained, just bit the bullet. I feel sorry for people who left it too late, but if this stage is neutralised then that will penalise people who will be unable to create a new team by the start of stage 2, and who will find out too late that they will have an inferior team to the people who like to pick their team at midnight after other people have gone to bed. Sorry no neutralisation and before you ask I did okay but not brilliant.
(By the way for christ's sake it's 'would have' and not 'would of' dammit, that really pisses me off.)

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

Where is the word of Dave? We need a pronouncement so we can all discover who's been screwed over and how.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dave is not around, you won't get word from him. Those of us running the game got an email the other day to cover the races because he's not around.

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some people are going to be p'd off regardless of the decision. But unless a decision is made shortly, tomorrow will be a Groundhog Day.

Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes

He was on earlier so he knows there has been a big problem.

simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I was aware of that - I'm just getting bored of "I think this" "No, I think that" round and round in circles. I've played this game pretty much since it started. I've paid for premium for as long as that has been an option. I've mostly enjoyed it and, at times, it has kept me from depression. Now, I'm just getting pissed off because I feel like I'm being penalised because the game didn't work properly for a significant amount of time. I can think of plenty of things to piss me off and bring me down that wouldn't cost me a tenner. I would just like some official response because the start of the first GT of the year doesn't seem like a good time to have nobody available to make sure the game is working.
EDIT - took too long to type that - it was meant to be a reply to gkam, not the posts in between.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can understand you Simon, but I cannot just nominate myself to speak on behalf of Dave. For all I know, he could be away on another 600km Audax. Not knowing when he will be around to make a decision, all I can do is say that the points stand and we have to go with that.

I've made decisions like this before in the game and it has backfired because either I did something wrong in the back end or Dave reversed the decision, so this if why I am holding back from making the final decision.

Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes

I did ok today(124pts). Think it is inevitable, that todays stage will and should be neutralised. I'm setting my team up as if tomorrows stage is Stage 1, with free transfers. and have a lie in tomorrow morning. Night folks.

Alan Tullett replied to Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

simon F - bloody hell mate thats some schedule you've got there ! I thought mine was bad with shifts and kids football.

Ah, kid's football I remember it well  2
Used to do about 300 miles a week with that and not on the bike!

simon F replied to Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I've been able to use the site, was slow last night, wasn't about to get on first thing this morning and has been fine since about half 10. Everyone seems to be logging in at the last minute and that's why it's been slow, I did get a server error at one point.

Everyone is in the same boat, the competition has been open with a full startlist for a while. So NO neutralising it in my eyes.

Yes, everyone works different schedules, but that is not something we can fix.

You're an admin - maybe it's different for you. For me, it's been majorly fucked up since about 8:30 last night. Have to admit, don't know what it was like between about 1am and 8am - actually managed to get some sleep but the rest of the time - no chance.

I wouldn't expect you to fix people's schedules but 18 hours to fix the game shouldn't be impossible and 18 hours before the deadline, it should be available and possible to pick teams. I don't call that last minute and even if you do, we shouldn't all have to pick our teams to suit your idea of what's the right time to do it.

simon F replied to Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

Although I submitted my team in time I guess the fairest thing to do would be to neutralise stage 1 and allow unlimited trades ahead of stage 2 so that everyone is in the same boat

I'd have to say that this would my preferred choice as well but mostly, I'd just like a decision made soonish that won't knacker my chances (slim as they may be) too much, particularly in the FS because that's mostly where my interest is.

Joelsim replied to fxceltic | 8 years ago
0 likes
fxceltic wrote:

I had th same issues from about 8.30 last night but persevered and got all my teams in this morning.
If the stage is neutralised then OK but there's no way people should not have to use their transfers to pick teams otherwise they are then getting an advantage on those of us that got our teams in.
I deliberately picked all sprinters basically knowing I would get a bad score today but in order to save transfers, but if everyone else can now just Swan in without having to use any and pick who they like, who would otherwise have had to Use some after the TTT, I might go mental.

That's why I suggested the stage is neutralised and everyone gets unlimited transfers again to start stage 2 as if it was stage 1. Everyone starts on zero points.

figus replied to Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is it really a punishment? Everybody starts Stage 2 on a level playing field, nobody gains an unfair advantage. If the scores stand, some players are effectively punished for something they had no control over.
I accept that it is perhaps a divisive issue, but it honestly seems a no-brainer to me.

Joelsim replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 8 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

I said that I would not get involved in the forum anymore but I have to comment on this...I got my team in as I always put one in early and then tweak it at the last minute...
But it is a NO BRAINER.......Deadline was set and the site was down.....The stage has to be neutralised and everyone has free transfers for Stage 2 as if it were Stage 1......
There is no other option....

+1

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

We'll see what Dave says, I don't know a way to change the transfers apart from adding more. I like many set my team up for certain stages, so to lose stage 1 points is going to piss me off.

Losing purist and "5 Italian" points for all the stages is going to piss me off, as is losing 9 transfers just to start the game.

simon F replied to backflipbedlem | 8 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

All I know is its getting late. And as I was up at 4:30am this morning, kids permitting I'd like to be asleep til after 8am 2moro, and we still don't know the status of stage 1 or how many transfers if any for stage 2.
So might be a bit late in the day to start wafting around unlimited transfers!

transfer page show 12:55 hrs until deadline at 22:05 tonight which kind of implies 11am tomorrow. Dunno how far to trust that though.

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I can't make the decision, so I don't know. Dave is away as far as I know, so I would sort out your team on the current situation and not hang on till the last moment.

IF I could make decisions, the scores would stand as they are, I know there were problems with the server, it was slow last night and through to this morning, then it went down (I believe this is when Dave was fixing it) and it came back on around half 10 and worked from then on, with the deadline being shifted to let people get teams in.

Sorry but that's just not the case. It was unusable until well after 1pm this afternoon. Adding a rider just hung up with the "add" buttons greyed out and nothing happening for over 20 mins, at which point I reloaded the page and the same happened, repeatedly. Sometimes you could add 2 or 3 riders but I only once managed to add 9 riders and the game hung waiting for the confirm button to appear. There was zero chance of adding 3 teams.

Joelsim replied to Philip Unwin | 8 years ago
0 likes
Philip Unwin wrote:

(By the way for christ's sake it's 'would have' and not 'would of' dammit, that really pisses me off.)

I know what you mean.

Philip Unwin replied to Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes
Aragonite wrote:

I did ok today(124pts). Think it is inevitable, that todays stage will and should be neutralised. I'm setting my team up as if tomorrows stage is Stage 1, with free transfers. and have a lie in tomorrow morning. Night folks.

I did the same (124 pts). Think that today's stage will not and should not be neutralised. I have set my team up as though tomorrow's stage is stage 2 and will feel penalised if it is neutralised.

Joelsim replied to simon F | 8 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:
backflipbedlem wrote:

All I know is its getting late. And as I was up at 4:30am this morning, kids permitting I'd like to be asleep til after 8am 2moro, and we still don't know the status of stage 1 or how many transfers if any for stage 2.
So might be a bit late in the day to start wafting around unlimited transfers!

transfer page show 12:55 hrs until deadline at 22:05 tonight which kind of implies 11am tomorrow. Dunno how far to trust that though.

The deadline on the dashboard page is showing 10am UK time tomorrow.

simon F replied to fxceltic | 8 years ago
0 likes
fxceltic wrote:

I had th same issues from about 8.30 last night but persevered and got all my teams in this morning.
If the stage is neutralised then OK but there's no way people should not have to use their transfers to pick teams otherwise they are then getting an advantage on those of us that got our teams in.
I deliberately picked all sprinters basically knowing I would get a bad score today but in order to save transfers, but if everyone else can now just Swan in without having to use any and pick who they like, who would otherwise have had to Use some after the TTT, I might go mental.

Well good for you. I persevered until late last night and all this morning and only once actually got 9 riders selected and then they didn't save. If I have to use 20% of my transfers for the race to pick a team because of a system failure that gives others an advantage, then I might go mental

Joelsim replied to Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I can see your point fingus, but the majority of people had a team in and ready for stage one, by neutralising the stage, you are punishing the many to benefit the few.

I think it's pretty unfair Gkam, there are many people who haven't managed to put a team in. I did as it happens, but there were lots of problems last night as well as this morning.

Jonas Lorenzen replied to STEVESPRO 79 | 8 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

I said that I would not get involved in the forum anymore but I have to comment on this...I got my team in as I always put one in early and then tweak it at the last minute...
But it is a NO BRAINER.......Deadline was set and the site was down.....The stage has to be neutralised and everyone has free transfers for Stage 2 as if it were Stage 1......
There is no other option....

+1  41

Joelsim replied to Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

We'll see what Dave says, I don't know a way to change the transfers apart from adding more. I like many set my team up for certain stages, so to lose stage 1 points is going to piss me off.

That's all very well normally Keith but in this instance there was a problem meaning lots of people were affected.

Joelsim replied to Aragonite | 8 years ago
0 likes
Aragonite wrote:

I've done the same. It's not fair on the countless people trying to enter a team last night and starting stage 2 with no points.

Philip Unwin replied to Joelsim | 8 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
Aragonite wrote:

I've done the same. It's not fair on the countless people trying to enter a team last night and starting stage 2 with no points.

I've not done the same. I've made my changes based on the rules of the game along with the vast majority of people who did get a team in .

chiv30 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can understand your personal take on it stumps but you have been around long enough to know some people like to hold off until the last opportunity because of rider sickness , withdrawal etc as well as late team news that gets leaked about who's likely to look for stage wins or get in the break etc

Stumps replied to chiv30 | 8 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

I can understand your personal take on it stumps but you have been around long enough to know some people like to hold off until the last opportunity because of rider sickness , withdrawal etc as well as late team news that gets leaked about who's likely to look for stage wins or get in the break etc

I know where your coming from mate, and i dont mean to sound off hand so apologies if i did  2 .

Its the biggest race of the year so far so i thought people might have tried to get their teams sorted a bit earlier but everyone is different and as you say they wait till near the end.

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

I picked all my teams a couple of days ago, made the effort and got them in so neutralising the stage does not sit well with me to be honest.

However i'll go along with whatever the judges decide, how about though people list the team they want on here and it gets scored accordingly and once the system is up and running the team can be sorted out ?????

Pages

Latest Comments