Like this site? Help us to make it better.


Rider seriously injured in Surrey League race

Addiscombe CC member sustains head injuries

Surrey Police’s collision investigation unit is looking into an incident in which a cyclist participating in a Surrey Cycle Racing League road race sustained serious injuries.

There were approximately 60 riders competing in yesterday's event and the accident is understood to have happened in the last mile of the race - the first of three in the Ottershaw series - when a coming together resulted in several riders crashing near the Accommodation Road junction on Longcross Road, Chertsey.

One rider, a 39-year-old male from London who is a member of the Addiscombe Cycling Club, sustained serious head injuries. Having been initially taken to St Peter's Hospital in Chertsey, he was later transferred to St George's Hospital, Tooting, south London.

Glyn Durrant, administrator of the Surrey League told “The riders were on the last four-mile lap of a 60 mile race when, according to the commissaire’s report, there was a touch of wheels resulting in several riders crashing.

"We had professional first aiders who were following in a marked vehicle on the scene almost immediately, they called for an ambulance straight away and the rider was quickly transferred to hospital in Chertsey.”

Glyn said the commissaire’s report indicates the race was well organised and took place in good weather conditions on a suitable course which has been used before by the Surrey League.

A spokesman for Surrey Police told that in view of the seriousness of the rider’s injuries, it was routine procedure to launch an investigation to determine the circumstances of the accident.

“It’s too early to say if there will be any case to answer, at the moment there is no suggestion that this was anything other than an accident but we need to speak to the injured rider as well as other riders and any witnesses to determine what exactly took place,” he said.

Given the nature of the rider’s injuries it is likely to be some time before he is well enough to be interviewed but in the meantime Surrey Police are appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

Latest Comments