Home
Accuses Team Sky of sacrificing her husband to protect star rider

Sir Bradley Wiggins’ wife, Cath, has called Chris Froome a ‘slithering reptile’. She then later apologised for her comments (after they became public knowledge).

Froome had twice the permitted limit of the anti-asthma drug Salbutamol when tested at the Vuelta a Espana in September.

The drug is not banned outright, but Froome will have to prove that he kept to the permitted dosage and explain why the reading was so high if he is to avoid a ban and the loss of his Vuelta title.

The Team Sky rider insists he has not broken any rules, explaining: "I have got a very clear routine when I use my inhaler and how many times. I have given all that information to the UCI to help get to the bottom of it."

But never mind the ins and outs of salbutamol. The question on everyone’s lips is what does Cath Wiggins think?

The Telegraph reports that a hastily-deleted post on her Facebook page from Wednesday was subsequently put out on Twitter by a third party.

Alongside a photo of Froome, she wrote: “I am going to be sick. Nothing in the news. If I was given to conspiracy theory I’d allege they’d thrown my boy under the bus on purpose to cover for this slithering reptile.”

Last month UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) closed an investigation into Team Sky and British Cycling without charges having failed to identify the contents of the package delivered to Sir Bradley Wiggins at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné.

However, many believe that a more significant issue for Wiggins was how the 2012 Tour de France champion made use of therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) to take triamcinolone in the lead-up to major races.

Wiggins was administered the drug for allergies, but a number of professional riders have admitted using it performance enhancement. One who admitted doing so, the commentator David Millar (whose sister is Team Sky’s Director of Business Operations), believes that Team Sky’s approach amounted to ‘gaming the system’.

It seems safe to assume that the Wiggins and Froome families won’t be sharing eggnog over the festive period. The enmity has been common knowledge since a Twitter spat between Cath and Froome’s then-fiancée, now wife, Michelle, during the 2012 Tour.

Nevertheless, Cath Wiggins clearly regrets her latest comments. In a Facebook post last night, she apologised for her lamentable firefighting skills: “Sorry everyone for my emotional comments and insults. Too much stress got the better of me. Heat of the moment thing and certainly not my intent to fan the flames.”

Alex has written for more cricket publications than the rest of the road.cc team combined. Despite the apparent evidence of this picture, he doesn't especially like cake.

40 comments

Avatar
don simon [1713 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Oops!

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [1632 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes

Froome needs to come back with a 'yo momma' joke. Now.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
22 likes

At least one of the Wiggins knows how to row!

Avatar
mbrads72 [219 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Not the first time I've heard of her making similar off the record comments.

Avatar
mikecassie [68 posts] 1 month ago
11 likes

Why is she stressed?  Her husband has been cleared and is now onto another career growing daft facial hair and looking a twat on a rowing machine.  

She sounds rather bitter IMO and not a nice person at all.  

This whole affair has disappointed me.  I hoped CF would be able to prove the doubters wrong.  I was wrong and more ammo has been provided to the "all cyclists are dopers" mob.  

Avatar
JohnnyEnglish [13 posts] 1 month ago
10 likes

Stay classy, Cath.

Avatar
andyp [1549 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

fair point, well made.

Avatar
Edgeley [521 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

Do slithering reptiles get asthma.

And if they slither, presumably they don't have legs, so how do they pedal?

Most mysterious.   Perhaps the lovely Mrs Wiggins has been in touch with that David Icke.  He thinks, as far as I can recall, that the UCI and indeed the whole world government is run by reptiles.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
8 likes

She's a passionate Northern lass defending her man.

 

He's already said they've all been under great pressure, living life in the limelight, his proudest achievements being cast into doubt.

 

Blimey, I wish I was as perfect as everyone on here!

Avatar
dp24 [209 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

She's a passionate Northern lass defending her man.

 

He's already said they've all been under great pressure, living life in the limelight, his proudest achievements being cast into doubt.

 

Blimey, I wish I was as perfect as everyone on here!

I think it's the fact that she seems to suggest that his 'proudest achievements being cast into doubt' is the fault of anyone but himself that people are taking issue with.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

David Brailsford pays his wages and said he's innocent, Brad said he's innocent, UKAD and UCI confirm he hasn't a case to answer, why should she think any different.

 

I mean obviously the internet judge and jury is like the supreme court...

Avatar
dp24 [209 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

David Brailsford pays his wages and said he's innocent, Brad said he's innocent, UKAD and UCI confirm he hasn't a case to answer, why should she think any different.

 

I mean obviously the internet judge and jury is like the supreme court...

Did any of those people force him to write in his autobiography that he'd "never had an injection"? 

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes

You think he wrote his autobiography?

 

Bless ya!

Avatar
dp24 [209 posts] 1 month ago
8 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

You think he wrote his autobiography?

 

Bless ya!

Ah right, so in your argument, he let someone else write a book in his name, and then either a) didn't bother to check some pretty important 'facts' in it, or b) checked them, knew they were incorrect, and allowed it to be printed anyway.

If your intention here is to try and defend his reputation, you're really not doing a very good job.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
3 likes

Not at all, my position was in explaing why someone may try and defend her loved one.

 

And thanks for trying to make my argument for me, I think you missed the point rather though. Just to clarify, nobody was able to "force him to write in his autobiography" if he didn't actually write it...

Avatar
dp24 [209 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

And thanks for trying to make my argument for me, I think you missed the point rather though. Just to clarify, nobody was able to "force him to write in his autobiography" if he didn't actually write it...

The logical conclusion of your argument is accurately summarised in my previous post. If you think either of those scenarios paints him in a good light, or absolves him of any responsibility for the outcome, then I'm afraid that there's only one person missing the point here Alan...

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

No, you asked whether he was forced to write something in his book. The short answer is no, he wasn't, he didn't write it.

 

And the main point of this discussion is whether Wiggins' wife could be a bit pissed off that her husband's reputation was being questioned? Froome was also making comment, at a time when he himself should have been under scrutiny.

Avatar
davel [2052 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Edgeley wrote:

Do slithering reptiles get asthma.

And if they slither, presumably they don't have legs, so how do they pedal?

Many snake species have stumps - the remnants of legs. I reckon you could probably get some spd cleats on the bigger species' rear stumps, but I'm not sure they'd achieve Froomey's cadence.

His running isn't too convincing, though, so she might be onto something.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Would it help if you slithered down onto the top tube to pedal?

Avatar
Natrix [34 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

Maybe Mrs Froome should post her lots of empty Jiffy bags

Avatar
andyp [1549 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Never mind how do they pedal, how do they hold the knife for the backstabbing of team leaders?

Avatar
davel [2052 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
andyp wrote:

Never mind how do they pedal, how do they hold the knife for the backstabbing of team leaders?

Gloves.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes

Lizard Skins gloves?

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [1632 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

He uses snake oil on his chain. 10% power increase.

Avatar
Jimmy Ray Will [828 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes

Ha ha ha... you do remember the manner in which Froome systematically went after Wiggins in 2012, ultimately sidelining the defending tour champion from the Tour de France.

You could theorise that Froome essentially ended Wiggins road career. 

Fast forward to earlier this year, Froome had absolutely no qualms in throwing Wiggins and for a while his employer under the bus when the whole TUE / jiffy bag thing came out. 

I can see why now, with Froome being deomnstrated to be just as loose as Wiggins when it comes to medications, that Wiggins wife would feel pretty aggrieved. 

Make no mistake, Froome is as cut throat as they come, happy to step on whoever and do whatever it takes. Its what makes him a champion, but it also makes enemies of those he has stepped on over the years. 

Don't get me wrong, Wiggins is no saint by any stretch, but for me its hard to see Wiggins as the bad guy and Froome the good (as portrayed by many comments above), when both are less than ideal to put it politely. 

Avatar
JohnnyRemo [203 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Reckon Cath could take both the Froomeys...

 

Avatar
SirruslyFast [16 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Froome was only too happy to say it was right to question and doubt Wiggo when he took legal TUE. And then expects everyone to believe him when he says that a scientific urine test showed he was twice over the limit is wrong and he wasn’t over the limit at all. Reptile could be a reasonable description. Utter hypocrite another option.

Avatar
Bill H [62 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
alansmurphy wrote:

No, you asked whether he was forced to write something in his book. The short answer is no, he wasn't, he didn't write it.

Bradley Wiggins put his name on the book and took the money, that makes him responsible for the content.

 

Avatar
Grahamd [825 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

BBC news now advises that she has apologised and deleted her post. No damage done then.

 

Avatar
alansmurphy [1481 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Bill H, it doesn't mean he was or was not forced to write it though, because he didn't write it. Not too difficult a concept.

Pages