Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dumb question about smart trainers

Having finally moved somewhere I actually have the space to set one up, I am considering buying a turbo trainer. Ideally I would like to use it with Zwift etc. But if I buy a smart trainer, is it also possible to use it as an old-school 'dumb' trainer? Or is it effectively useless unless I pay to connect it to one of the digital training platforms?       

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

quiff | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the further replies all, very helpful. 

Jamie Williams | 1 year ago
1 like

Hi there,

I think your question may have already been answered but just to reiterate that whilst it will vary from device to device a smart turbo can usually be used without a subscription service. For example, I know that Wahoo trainers as long as it is plugged into a power source can be used in any of these 4 modes: https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/204281764-What-Are-th...

Tacx devices offer similar functions from a head unit, so in summary: There's no need to pay for a subscription service but most trainers will benefit from being paired to either a smartphone or head unit to alter resistance. Obviously, if you're never going to use ERG/Smart features then it's worth considering saving some money. 

We've answered more questions about smart trainers here: https://road.cc/content/feature/what-is-erg-mode-295463

Cheers,

Jamie (road.cc tech team)

dave atkinson | 1 year ago
1 like

Plenty of good answers here already. Probably I'd summarise:

• Some smart trainers are designed to work independnently. The obvious example is the Saris H3, which when plugged in and unpaired has a progressive resistance curve that mimics the Fluid2 trainer
  • Basically any smart trainer can be controlled from a GPS unit that supports workouts over the ANT+ FEC protocol, and there are loads of free ways to generate them.
  • There are a bunch of apps (eg Tacx Training https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/696770) that allow you to ride structured workouts for free from your phone or a computer
mark1a | 1 year ago
2 likes

If you're unsure of making the investment without committing to a monthly sub for another service. then any trainer that has ANT+ FE-C protocol (most of them made after 2015) will be able to be controlled for workouts and simulated routes from any GPS head unit supporting ANT+ FE-C protocol (again, most of them post 2015).

For example, with a Garmin Edge, you can go into the Garmin Connect online service, generate a workout (e.g. warm-up 10 mins, 240w 5 mins, 120w 5mins, 260w, 5 mins, warm-down), send it to the device and when paired with the trainer, can reproduce the. workout. Likewise you can convert a course or activity, and "ride" it again using the head unit. Yes you need a compatible head unit, but no ongoing subscription needed.

I use Zwift on a Tacx Neo Bike Smart and find the "gamification" aspect quite good, and makes an incentive to get on it. Have also tried a couple of other services, such as Tacx Training and Bkool, but always end up coming back to Zwift.

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

My understanding is that any "smart" trainer requires some kind of input to function in any sensible manner - you can stick a bike on and pedal with nothing set up, but there will be minimal resistance and no control whatsoever. 

However there are a number of free apps you can use (including both 3rd party and the apps provided by the manufacturers) that offer functionality from pretty basic to relatively advanced, although probably none of the free ones offer quite the same experience as something like Zwift.

So in short: you need an app but you can find a free one rather than being tied into a subscription. 

PRSboy | 1 year ago
0 likes

My Kickr has a mode which simulates a fluid trainer, or a trainer with a resistance setting.

You can also set to a fixed power eg 200 watts, and it varies the resistance according to your cadence (Erg mode)

You can set these from your smartphone app, so you don't need a subscription training app.

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

With the ones I've had (wheel on Elite Tuo and Bkool, wheel off JetBlack) yes, I've used them for quick warm-ups when I was on the way out and couldn't be bothered to set up the computer et cetera (don't have the space for a dedicated pain cave, unfortunately). AFAIK all smart trainers comprise a flywheel to which various levels of magnetic resistance are applied depending on the signal from your computer, the flywheel still goes round when it's not connected to anything. It will be a fairly light level of resistance, but if you put the bike in its highest gear it's certainly sufficient to spin along at a moderate level of effort.

Why do you want that facility, are you planning on using it away from a power supply or Wi-Fi signal? If the latter, don't forget you can run all the major training programs on a phone, if you want to run it without power supply you might be interested in the JetBlack WhisperSmart which actually creates its own power supply off your efforts, you can even plug a mobile device in and recharge it as you ride, no mains required.

Hope that's some help.

quiff replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

Rendel Harris wrote:

Why do you want that facility, are you planning on using it away from a power supply or Wi-Fi signal?

Thanks for the reply. It's not necessarily that I positively want to use it as a dumb trainer. Just keen to understand the product properly before buying into something which requires ongoing monthly payments.  

Rendel Harris replied to quiff | 1 year ago
0 likes

You know I'm sure that you can keep costs down by using a dumb trainer with an inexpensive cadence/speed Bluetooth or ANT+ sensor, and some apps like RGT offer limited free access. Also, now the pandemic-driven overinflated and scarcity of trainers has ended you can pick up wheel-on smart trainers like the Bkool Pro for around £50 on eBay, which would be a great way of getting into it if you're not fully convinced it's for you (as I mentioned above, I had a Bkool as my first smart trainer and it is more than adequate).

Simon_MacMichael | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thanks for the question - I don't know the answer, but I've flagged it to our tech team for someone to get back to you.

Latest Comments