Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Coaling - deliberately smoking passing cyclists

Got video of a car deliberately producing smoke as the passed (at about 60mph in a 30 to do so).

For my very long list of driving offences to make it easy for the police, is deliberately producing poisonous exhaust fumes an assault or other non-motoring offence?

Basically got an attempted overtake approaching a junction but he had to abandon along side me, nearly clipped my rear wheel pulling in - and ignored my mate immediately behind me. Then a couple of minutes later, as he'd been held up behind right turning motorbikes, he hooned past in temper, immediately after passing he braked, then turned a corner, pausing to look back down the road at us, and then carried on.

So I've got overtaking approaching a junction and close pass, speed limit, easy to calculate from video and road markings, and black smoke so probably an illegal car, plus an assault by exhaust fumes. Don't want to over-egg it  3

Not sharing video for obvious reasons.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

andystow | 2 years ago
1 like

I've had it done to me once, as I was riding on the very wide shoulder of a 45 MPH road. The truck got stopped at the next red light, and was in the lane to go straight. I started sprinting, and suspect he saw me coming as he suddenly decided that he needed to turn instead (right on red, USA.) Coward.

Daveyraveygravey | 2 years ago
4 likes

Was talking a cycle hating troll at work yesterday.  I've been here 10 years and he still goes on about bloody cyclists He's into car modding, apparently some engine remaps have a setting to do this "coaling" thing.  The one he was talking about you have to have the hazards on and when you floor it in third, it won't let you get above 20 or 25 but it dumps all the soot out the exhaust it can.  Surely that can't be legal, if it's true?

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Some discussion on this from earlier in the year. https://road.cc/content/news/driver-blasts-huge-plume-exhaust-smoke-cycl...

(also includes moronic comments).

IanMSpencer replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Not sure why I didn't remember that. BUt nothing specific. Let's see if Warwickshire's NextBase connection produces something. They might grizzle that I cut the video short, but I've kept the original.

Either set of incidents alone, I'd have shrugged, but the punishment pass just for existing on the road where he wanted to be (single file not even in primary!) crossed my threshold as a driver who needed a consequence of demonstrating annoyance about sharing the road.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to IanMSpencer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Surely the Speeding to produce the Coaling would be enough for some action. (Obviously taking into account normal Police desire to action stuff). As for the actual act, in the Uk I would have thought it would have come under the same rules as deliberately making a puddle splash pedestrians

IanMSpencer replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
1 like

Police generally as a principle only prosecute the worst offence when a series of events happen together - unlike the States where they seem to love to stack everything up and they can end up with amazingly harsh prison sentences through totting up.

I'm hoping the sequence of events will convince the police that the unnecessary harassment of a cyclist simply being on the road has a malignancy that deserves a response.

Today, we had a sequence of inaudible insults hurled at us by passing motorists, virtually a on quiet roads where there was no other vehicle around to excuse the righteous indignation of a motorist sharing the road with a Lycra clad group on their steeds. Odd.

Latest Comments