Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

The long and the short of it.

Really?
Rapha, taking the biscuit.
I know value is in the eye of the purchaser, or some such saying....but the new Rapha Transfer products are really pushing it...€300 for a pair of "comfy" shorts, €120 for a neck scarf...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like 1st world problems to me.

Remember, if you get more than £25,200 income then you're in the World's top 1%.

Late stage capitalism for the win!

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Or even spending €1000 on a bicycle for leisure use when a significant number of the World's population lack basic sanitation, healthcare or even enough to eat.

I suspect we each look with incomprehension at the wealth of some and what they spend it on whilst others look at us in the same way.

But even so, I'd like to think that I'd sooner put €300 in a charity box rather than for a pair of shorts.

Simon E replied to Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
1 like

Mungecrundle wrote:

I'd like to think that I'd sooner put €300 in a charity box rather than for a pair of shorts.

Well, if you care what happens to that €300 you may want to choose carefully.

After a GCN feature when they said they'd match my donation I bought an Elephant bike with World Bicycle Relief. A little later I wondered just how efficiently/effectively they spent the money that was donated and wanted to find out whether they'd had to pay GCN for the publicity so fired off an email. I received an very informative and friendly email from the UK office clarifying that GCN paid for the fundraising campaign. I am likely to buy another one this year as I believe they will be matching donations again. Not all charities are so transparent.

Tom_77 | 4 years ago
2 likes
Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Other brands are available.  3

Lots of people pay a premium for what I'd describe as overpriced kit - look at how many German SUVs there are on the roads, all the Nike and other branded sportswear worn by people who never move faster than 2.5mph and whose idea of lifting weights is pulling a 24-pack of Carlsberg off the shelf.

Bling watches are surely the biggest con, people part with hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a piece of jewellery that only tells the time (when they have a plethora of other devices that do it already).

If Rapha can sell it then why shouldn't they?

PRSboy replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
2 likes

Simon E wrote:

Other brands are available.  3

Lots of people pay a premium for what I'd describe as overpriced kit - look at how many German SUVs there are on the roads, all the Nike and other branded sportswear worn by people who never move faster than 2.5mph and whose idea of lifting weights is pulling a 24-pack of Carlsberg off the shelf.

Bling watches are surely the biggest con, people part with hundreds or even thousands of pounds for a piece of jewellery that only tells the time (when they have a plethora of other devices that do it already).

If Rapha can sell it then why shouldn't they?

... or even hundreds of thousands for a watch!  Check out Richard Mille but mind you don't choke on your tea and biscuit...

The _Kaner | 4 years ago
0 likes

The stuff

Latest Comments