Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rayleigh wheel nuts

Hi,

I have a 1987 Rayleigh Equipe that awkwardly has different sized nuts on the front and rear hubs. 

Does anyone know if the bicycle would have been sold with the red Rayleigh nuts when new?

If yes, Does anyone know where I can find two sets. I've looked on eBay but I'm looking at about £60 for two pairs in 'almost new' condition!!

If no, does anyone know what sized nuts should be used? The front are between 9/16 and 14mm and the rear nuts are 9/16.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

iandusud | 6 years ago
0 likes

From what I remember Raleigh used 24tpi on their headsets and bottom brackets where the rest of the British cycle industry used Cycle Thread (26tpi). However I'm not aware that they used a different thread size on wheel spindles. Should be 5/16" 26tpi front and 3/8" 26tpi rear. If you are having trouble finding nuts to fit you could always repalce the spindles. Wouldn't cost much.

felixcat replied to iandusud | 6 years ago
0 likes

iandusud wrote:

From what I remember Raleigh used 24tpi on their headsets and bottom brackets where the rest of the British cycle industry used Cycle Thread (26tpi).

T'other way round I think.

iandusud replied to felixcat | 6 years ago
0 likes

felixcat wrote:

iandusud wrote:

From what I remember Raleigh used 24tpi on their headsets and bottom brackets where the rest of the British cycle industry used Cycle Thread (26tpi).

T'other way round I think.

Quite right. My bad.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've got a pair of Raleigh wheel nuts and a seatpost binder bolt with the Red 'R' end cap in decent condition. Hit me up on the cycling UK forum if they might be of interest.

I'm under pseudonym 'the Utility cyclist'

Craigus Farticus replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I've got a pair of Raleigh wheel nuts and a seatpost binder bolt with the Red 'R' end cap in decent condition. Hit me up on the cycling UK forum if they might be of interest.

I'm under pseudonym 'the Utility cyclist'

Might I ask that you e-mail me at craigcarter73 [at] yahoo.co.uk instead please?  1

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Raleigh had their own standard thread - 26tpi - which no other manufacturer ever used. If you can't find the right nut, change the axle and cones. Seriously, Raleigh threads are a pain.

jaysa | 6 years ago
0 likes

If the bolt thread was standard, could you not just use a standard sized nut - and keep the original nut for those who love authenticity? (As an original nut, I would say that ...)

Craigus Farticus replied to jaysa | 6 years ago
0 likes

jaysa wrote:

If the bolt thread was standard, could you not just use a standard sized nut - and keep the original nut for those who love authenticity? (As an original nut, I would say that ...)

I could do jaysa. That would negate having to take two spanners. Just wanted the bike to be as original as posible. I even have new-old-stock Eveready bicycle lamps.  1

zero_trooper | 6 years ago
1 like

I have a very early 1990's Pioneer, which has 'standard' nuts on the wheels. However, the seat stem clamp has one of those 'red' Raleigh nuts and it's a complete bastard size.

Craigus Farticus replied to zero_trooper | 6 years ago
0 likes

zero_trooper wrote:

I have a very early 1990's Pioneer, which has 'standard' nuts on the wheels. However, the seat stem clamp has one of those 'red' Raleigh nuts and it's a complete bastard size.

It's funny that you mention 'a complete bastard size' as the front nuts are somewere between 9/16 and 14mm. I guess that Rayleigh may have made an unuasual sized nut to fit a Rayleigh specific spanner/tool. 

Dr Winston replied to zero_trooper | 6 years ago
0 likes

zero_trooper wrote:

i've had a couple of those. Really quite an under rated bike. I use mine for going into town down some fairy rough old tracks and then it's a great high  position in the bit of (very) busy (and dangerous) road I have to get on to.

Horses for courses and fits the bill well for that paticular course. 

I've had both the earlier blue one and now the ls slightly later green one. Which one do you have?

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
1 like

i had one of them!

I dont recall it having different size wheel nuts, but it never had the red nuts you mention, just normal standard nuts. no idea of size

Latest Comments