Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smidsy - Witness or Victim - Does the Justice System serve us?

One evening in February I was coming back home from the local supermarket. My route involved riding along a straight section of quiet main road, then making a right turn into my estate (housing, not country).
I got into position well before the turn, signalling right and riding alongside the white line, approaching the junction I returned my hand to the bars to brake and control the bike, as I did so I looked over my shoulder and saw that I was being overtaken by a car on my right. Before I could take any avoiding action there was an almighty blow on the right of my body and the next thing I remember was lying on the wrong side of the road facing oncoming traffic.
Some nice people scraped me off the road, the driver stopped further up the road and walked back. Thankfully I was not seriously hurt, but did have to visit A&E the next day. The driver said "I did not see you" then "Sorry", which seemed strange as I had been in his view for 250 metres, had two rear lights and ten reflectors on the back of my shopping bike, and he was performing an overtaking manoeuvre.
The police arrived and took details, at this time they told me that the driver already had 30 points on his licence.
During the next few weeks;- The police came round and took a witness statement. I was informed the the driver was to go to court to enter a plea, but I did not need to attend. A voice mail a couple of weeks later told me the driver failed to turn up at court, so had been found guilty in his absence and my witness services were no longer required. Thank you.

I am left with a lot of questions.
I have not been told what the driver was charged with? Careless driving? + Driving without insurance? + Driving with a ban?
I don't expect to be advised of the punishment. Fine + more points + ban + Extended retest? Will he claim excessive Hardship to carry on driving?
I will not get to meet the driver in court. I would have liked to have heard his explanation under cross examination for failing to see me. There were several people around, but no one actually saw the collision, it would have been my word against his. With a good defence he could have claimed that I lost control, and his quick reactions prevented a more serious "accident".
I suspect he will continue driving regardless.

It sounds like this driver has been gaming the system for ages. It's tempting to make a case for the Chinese System which involves a car park and a bullet, but seriously there must be a socially fair system.

I invite your comments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments

• IanMSpencer 2 sec ago

My only issue with the old 4600 was that my Kinesis T2 frame required long drop brakes and the levers had a very low pivot point. The combination...

• Rendel Harris 9 min 18 sec ago

After burning off the lights you start flicking your elbows at the eighty-year-old grandmother on a Raleigh shopper behind you and slow down and...

• Rendel Harris 29 min 39 sec ago

I share your cynicism, but aren't all top-end aero bike seatposts custom/proprietary these days? In any case, I doubt someone who can afford £13.5k...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 56 min ago

That would be a bit more credible if they hadn't gone all out to try and get Cav the record last year, wouldn't it?

• Mungecrundle 3 hours 27 min ago

Professional advice is always your gold standard. A GP referal is a good place to start but accessing those services can be difficult given the...

• d_jp 7 hours 3 min ago

'that was "grippy" / a "grippy" stage' 'i love echelons' ... Adam Blythe

• Lemonyhills 7 hours 16 min ago

These would be ideal for security in the garage, and out and about for our bikes lost two in the past.

• dabba 7 hours 53 min ago

I bought an Anker 15w solar panel set to try for touring in Australia. It wasn't a success for me. I tried draping it over the rear panniers while...

• capedcrusader 8 hours 34 min ago

Re: Early morning raid on BV....

• 11waterloo 8 hours 47 min ago

Agreed on that, he was definitely part of my first week plans! Not to mention my French riders team - that is in tatters without Le Coq!