Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should helmets be compulsory - local media on Facebook

Don't worry, I'm not asking whether they should be.  But has anyone else noticed there seems to be a co-ordinated local media campaign on social media - with a range of outlets from around the country (I'm away of South London, Sutton, Cambridge and Devon) where local media have posted identical Facebook posts asking whether helmets should be made compulsory?

I'm sure you can imagine the level of debate they have provoked.  I was wondering what had spurred this now?  I suspect it's little more than someone came up with an idea to help the media outlets get lots of hits on social media.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

ktache | 2 years ago
4 likes

I'm hoping it's about compulsory motoring helmets, which can of course be big and heavy enough to provide good protection.

I mean, if it saves just one life...

Drinfinity | 2 years ago
9 likes

Lots of local media owned by the same outfits. Newsquest has everything from the Alloa Advertiser to Yeovil Express, so quite likely to be using the same clickbait.

ChrisB200SX replied to Drinfinity | 2 years ago
7 likes

Exactly this. Clickbait, possibly with an undercurrent of trying to push for it through legislation by stoking the hatred of people who ride bikes by those who refuse to.

It's strange, they never publish similar for pedestrians or motor vehicle occupants. Pretty obvious anti-cyclist bigotry bias.

Latest Comments