Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant PR2 disc rear wheel hub issues

Purchased a Liv Avail from the 2019 range. I’ve now been through 2 free hubs in 10 months. Thankfully I purchased it at a Giant store so have been able to take it back to the store’s workshop. The most recent hub failure has caused the workshop to claim for a new wheel on the warranty as they can’t remove the hub from the wheel. Apparently not the first one this has happened to either. So what’s going on and do I hold out for a recall (is it very likely?) or keep getting the hubs replaced? Anyone else had similar hub issues with Giant wheels? After spending a hefty chunk on my new bike, I’m not happy to start upgrading the wheels due to a manufacturing issue.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Stephan Dumont | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hi JAMMYCHIPS! I have the exact same problem! I bought my Giant Contend AR 1 (2021 lineup) at the end of August last year and two days after, my rear wheel need to be replaced because of a loud cracking sound coming from the hub.

Now, the replacement wheel has issues. I just came back from the shop for what I tought was a loose cassette, but the mecanic told me it was the hub that is acting up again! He told me straight up: Giant makes bad wheel sets. The thing is, you find the same wheel set on their $4000 bike!

The mecanic kind of fixed it, but he told to come back if I have more issues and the shop will contact Giant directly to see what can be done.

I am like you. I am not going to spend another $1000 for a new wheel set. Considering our bikes are almost new, Giant should get us new (better quality) wheels.

I will keep posted.

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

Ive read some bad things about the Giant PR2 wheels here and there. I have had zero issues over the 3 years i've run them. Around 3600 miles this year, no broken spokes, no hub issues, nothing. This is a 2016 model Defy. 

Perhaps just a faulty batch. 

Edit: I see you mention they have changed up since 2019. Might explain our differing fortunes. 

TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Have the freewheel pawls broken? This has happened to me on two separate wheels: one Fulcrum Racing Sport db (came with bike) and one Alex Rims / Chosen hub cheapy that got me through the long wait for Fulcrum parts.

It's quite surprising that OEM wheels are so awful, even on quite spendy bikes (mine is a Ridley X-Trail Carbon; i didn't pay anything like it but RRP was north of £2k).

I'm not exactly powerful either, and would like to know if there's a reasonably priced rear wheel for disc brakes with a robust hub.

Jammychips replied to TheBillder | 3 years ago
0 likes

The wheels are made by Vuelta apparently and are a new design for 2019(I've been led to believe). The hub isn't serviceable, it's a sealed unit.  Mine isn't the only bike that the workshop have had back with failed rear hub on same wheels. My first hub went after 6 weeks. Mine also wasn't the only one where the hub was jammed and they were unable to remove it, hence Giant advising them to make a claim on the warranty. I suppose I'm not sure what to do. Keep getting the hub replaced? But there will come a stage when they won't want to know (bike is currently less that 12 months old). Or push for replacements?- Which means paying for an upgrade (that's what's been suggested to me by the workshop). Feels a little unfair and I'm not sure if to push harder. 

Latest Comments