Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycle2Work and bike theft

Hello, I've been trying to find out whether the Cycle2Work scheme rules allow for a new bike to be bought if one bought on the scheme is stolen. I can't find clear information about this anywhere. Does anyone know?

I'm just coming to the end of the initial 12 month hire on a bike and have been offered the zero cost hire extension - does taking that affect the ability to buy a new bike through the scheme if the first is stolen during the extended hire period?

I wonder because if if my current bike were stolen (not that unlikely in my city), I may opt for a folding bike replacement that I can bring indoors more, and it would be frustrating if I were blocked from using the scheme for that as those bikes are much more expensive.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Sniffer | 3 months ago
0 likes

My experience is that you can buy a new bike to the value of the scheme limit after the 12 month period ends, regardless of the extended hire period.

I suppose the only caveat is the much ignored requirement that the bike should be primarily used for cycling to work.

OnYerBike | 3 months ago
0 likes

I believe most schemes allow you to get another bike through the scheme after the initial 12 months regardless.

Within the initial 12 months, if your bike is stolen, there may be options. I think what you would have to do is inform the scheme provider/your employer that the bike was stolen and pay off the remaining balance (therefore make sure the bike is insured). That would then fully close off the arrangement for that bike, and therefore I see no reason why you wouldn't subsequently be free to initiate a new arrangement for a new bike.

Pagw | 3 months ago
0 likes

OK, thanks. It seems like it's perhaps employer-dependent then.

IanGlasgow | 3 months ago
0 likes

Theoretically you can, but most of the scheme operators/employers will only let you start a new purchase once you've finished paying for the previous one. If the bike is stolen you still need to keep paying for it. It's worth checking with your employer what their policy is.

Tom_77 | 3 months ago
2 likes

You can buy another bike through the scheme regardless, even in the same year (e.g. a summer bike and a winter bike). See https://www.cycle2work.info/employees/faqs

Quote:

Can I get more than one bike?

Yes! If you would like to get two bikes you certainly can – as long as they are both suitable and safe for you to ride, and your total doesn’t exceed your scheme’s maximum limit.

Latest Comments