Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chain Checking

Here is one for the obsessives (and there is nothing wrong with that). Those who get 10,000 miles from each chain can skip this one 😉.

Yesterday I checked an 8-speed SRAM PC850 chain for wear. I had done circa 7 months and a week on the chain. Chain wear tool used was Decathlon's.

Previous two chains were KMC Z series, from which I probably got eight months wear each on the bike's original Sunrace cassette, but through inexperience waited rather longer to change chains. This resulted in initial skipping, which quickly settled. However, I vowed to the bike chain gods that I would keep more on top of this.

The SRAM chaib was fitted on a new Shimano HG50 cassette as part of a stock wheelset to Shimano RS10 upgrade. I have been checking for wear religiously, and yesterday the checker tool mostly showed a still-reasonable amount of life in the chain. I know life is not linear with a chain, but I thought that I could keep checking until the 9-month mark.

However, I always check the whole length of the chain, and I found that either side of the quick link the tool was showing the chain almost worn. Although 90% of the chain still appeared to have life, I erred on the side of caution and changed to a KMC X8 chain, which I am trying for the first time.

Was I being over-cautious and should I have waited longer until there was more wear across more sections of the chain?

Should I get a better tool than the £3.99 Decathlon one?

Thanks and regards

roadbikepilgrim

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments