Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

them cheap carbon frames on ebay

has anyone bought one, if so what are they like? worth a punt or just money down the drain

this is the ones i mean http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Full-Carbon-Road-Bike-Bicycle-Frame-56cm-Fork-...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

dave atkinson replied to OldnSlo | 12 years ago
0 likes
OldnSlo wrote:

However the high end stuff will most probably be european, cervelo being a prime example.

to my knowledge the only cervelo frame not made in the far east is the R5CA (I'm not sure about the S5 and P5)

The majority of high end Carbon frames are made in the Far East.

OldnSlo replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
OldnSlo wrote:

However the high end stuff will most probably be european, cervelo being a prime example.

to my knowledge the only cervelo frame not made in the far east is the R5CA (I'm not sure about the S5 and P5)

thats kinda sad but only to be expected i suppose.
so is the answer todo your research into your cheap
carbon frame manufacturer. my experience was is
to date positive. now has anybody bought carbon clinchers
from china (ie direct & unbranded) ? answers please.

Bikeylikey replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Does anyone know whether my 2011 Wilier Izoard XP frame was made in China? Have I been unknowingly riding a Chilier?

By the way Trikeman, not sure that 'cracking' is the best word to describe a cheap carbon frame  2

trikeman replied to Bikeylikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

:))Figure of speach - but I see what you mean,,,, Not to be displayed by the slogan, 'it's a cracker'.  4
Regards

Trikeman.  3

giobox replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep. my very nice R5 VWD frame sports a made in China/Taiwan (can't remember which...) sticker.

Manufacturers often point out there just isn't the infrastructure or factories to make them in volume anywhere else, which is why its only ever ultra low-volume specials like the RCA that get built in the US/Europe.

ALIHISGREAT | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is loads of discussion out there if you google it -> one forum has a thread that is on it's 5th incarnation of 200+ pages!

One guy even visited one of the factories..

be careful if you do go down the Chinese carbon route, and if you're buying outside ebay. Scammers set up fake versions of some of the suppliers in order to get your cash.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Here is the folding one, less racy design though

http://www.axman.com.tw/product-detail.php?class_id=30&page=14

When you look at the bare frame, it looks strange

http://www.axman.com.tw/product-detail.php?class_id=35&page=5

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Whoa! Just thinking about Dave on that Axman… it wouldn't be pretty

dave atkinson replied to Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

Whoa! Just thinking about Dave on that Axman… it wouldn't be pretty

I look great whatever I'm riding.

What? Oh.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Interesting bike, Gkam, though they appear to have forgotten to design in a folding mechanism for it  39

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I dont know about the chinarello's and others on ebay

But i've always fancied an Axman SW since seeing them a few years ago

One of these

http://www.axman.com.tw/product-detail.php?class_id=30&page=13

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

ta for the comments, must admit i probably wont be getting one, it was more a case of curiosity after coming across them.

what did strike me was what is the difference between these frames and other 'cheapish' carbon frames (planet x, ribble etc etc) apart from a paint job/stickers and probably a bit more of a mark up for profit margins..  39

velotech_cycling | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd be very cautious - we have stripped cheap (and some not-so-cheap but still cheaper-than-average) carbon frames back and found things that scare me to death going on under that nice "12k" surface lay-up.

Problems we have seen are voids, high proportion of glass, high proportion of resin, poor jointing, assymetric wall thicknesses on fork blades and crowns ... none of which is a formula for a frame with longevity or nice riding characteristics.

We all know it's de rigeur to assume that bike manufacturers are all theiving, skanking b*stards that are ripping us all off - but in general that isn't true, though one can always dredge up examples ...

Muppets at the UCI claiming that cheap carbon frames can be had out of China for $40.00 don't actually help, either ... out by at least a couple of hundred US, there, Pat ...

I'd wonder if the guy who sourced the particular one that was referred to in the link above knows too much about bikes, as it says in the spec "fits V-Brakes" so his judgement about the quality *might* be questionable.

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

If you go for it, show us all the finished products.

We could form a Chinarello Cycling team.  19

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Fringe,
I did last year, similar model but with the bars, stem seatpost and they threw some bottle cages in. Absolutely cracking and at the door in about a week - same company.
I built it up with average(ish) kit and it was a cracking ride, light and handled well. Only small problem I had was getting a headset that fitted but most are pretty standard now. Put some flat bars and clip-ons as a commuter and excellent. Maybe a little naughty but I put some cheap stikers on it but wasnt too long before I took them off - created too much attention, if you know what I mean.
Would I do it again,,,,, in the middle of one now.  4
Piccy (naughty) above or below - wherever it loads.

Regards
Trikeman.  3

Psyclist replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who were the types of people it caused attention to? I was thinking of getting some decals for mine.

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

opinions on other (lesser  3 ) forums range from being good frames down to held together with newspaper.
google "chinarello" (chinese pinarello - some are shaped like Dogma's) for more.

Pages

Latest Comments