Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

eTap batteries

Hi

This is my first post on here I think, I was just wanting to ask about eTap batteries: I've had Sram Red eTap since it's 1st inception (version) and that's well over 3yrs ago but the question is:

How long do they last - the life (time) of the actual battery?

I still charge them when needed, never in between necessity, only when they start flashing upon gear changing, I'm just wondering how long in time', I'll get out of them ?

I asked SRAM the question and they quoted me a figure which I've forgot, as per recharge cycles'but they did say 'we keep hearing stories of them still going strong after many recharge cycles' yet they never said how much 'time for that re expectancy

I'm never not amazed by the gearset, (I truly love it) which I only bought as that not a groupset tho I do have a red carbon chainset too..

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

HoarseMann | 4 months ago
1 like

It's likely to be a Li-ion battery. As such, it will age, but you ought to get several years service out of it. Lots of information here:

In 2020, small wearable batteries deliver about 300 cycles whereas modern smartphones have a cycle life requirement is 800 cycles and more.

For example, here's a comparison of two iPads, the one with 443 charge cycles is like brand new. But the one with 771 cycles can only hold a maximum of 65% of its original charge. That said, at 5 years old, 65% capacity is still perfectly useable.

Latest Comments