Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

can you help me; replacing my groupset

iv had my 2nd hand giant ocr2 for a while now and although i find the frame nice and comfortable ive found the truativ chianset slipping and worn down, particuarly the tiagra cassette.
Always fancied a change to shimano 105 so thought this would be the best time so basicaly if I bought the group set could my local bike shop fit it
Thanks
Alex

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mr-andrew | 13 years ago
0 likes

Got to go with Fishy - it's worth doing it yourself. It'll also leave you in good stead for servicing your bike at a later juncture. There are a load of really good tutorials on the Park Tool website, as well as on YouTube, eHow etc.

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes
alx | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the help,
and although i would like a new bike iv got around 600 quid to spend and thats it for a while,
I was thinking that it will realy only get me a modern version of what ive got now.

A found a new shimano 105 5600 groupset for £350 i could spend the rest on some new wheels
so when i eventualy feel like an upgrade i could just swich the components.

any thoughts

thanks again

the_mikey | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd first consider saving the money and look at a new bike (everyone wants an extra bike in the collection don't they?) or instead of an upgrade, replace only the worn parts, a new chain and cassette might be all you need, and you can do this yourself with the right tools.

Gkam84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Any half decent bike shop should be able to do it for you, but i would go ask around the shops to see IF you buy it through them, which may cost you a little more, IF they will fit it as part of the deal, where as, if you buy it yourself and then find someone to fit it, they may charge a fortune

Fishy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Depends on the LBS, they might object to you not purchasing the groupset through them!

It's quite a pricey option though, the 105 shifters alone will set you back a fair wack (i.e.upgrade the entire bike?)

Why not buy a cheap-ish tool kit (£40) and do the job yourself. Presuming your bottom bracket's ok, changing the cassette, chainrings, derailleurs & cables & shifters is a surprisingly simple job.

You might also find that if your chainrings are not worn, then it's just a worn cassette & chain that's causing the issue. Swapping these components out is a really quick (and courtacy of Tiagra; Cheap) job, is the 'one extra cog' really worth a couple of hundred quid that could be saved towards the next bike?

Latest Comments