Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

No mudguards for me... and if you get sprayed, good!

Some of my commute is on an off-road cycle path, and pretty much every other day I get someone wheelsucking off the back of me without even saying hello which is pretty annoying to be honest. I like to go at my own pace without any drafting and dnt want a race!!

Now this path can get pretty muddy and wet, luckily I have access to a hose at work so instead of mudguards I just give my bike a quick clean every morning when i get in. But my other reason for not using them is that it gets rid of the wheelsuckers on the muddy days. One actually tried to have a go at me yesterday and I said 'well you shouldnt have been hanging off the back of my wheel without asking then!' Plus what if i need to brake sharply or something and I dont even know they are there??

So my question is am I perfectly justified in having a little chuckle to myself when one of these leeches gets a face full of mud from my back wheel or am I been rude?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Kendalred | 4 years ago
22 likes

If you're prepared to get a wet arse, feet and legs in order to chuck some dirty water at the ocassional wheelsucker, then go for it. Seems a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me.

Daveyraveygravey | 4 years ago
2 likes

It's not all bad, according to some figures I read (can't remember where) you get an 8% benefit when someone is on your wheel...

Pages

Latest Comments