Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Dad-of-three 'needed 200 stitches' on his head

...after coming off bike in Eastern Road in Portsmouth

Anyone seen this story? (warning - nasty pictures!):

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/people/dad-of-three-needed-200-stitches-on-his-head-after-coming-off-bike-in-eastern-road-in-portsmouth-1-9011241

"Dad-of-three Mark was left with a gaping hole in his left arm and a large section of his skull exposed, along with cuts and bruises, in the Eastern Road crash.

Police are investigating what happened but claimed Mark hit the kerb and went flying off his now-destroyed bike."

Apparently he doesn't remember a thing about what happened, but is now recommending helmets:

"‘I must have been going at least 60mph for that to happen.’

"Mark said he was not wearing a helmet at the time and added: ‘I have been grilled about that, I’ve learnt my lesson about that. I’m getting a full face one.’"

I wonder what happened?  He must have really been moving, or else fell onto a cheese grater or something, and TBH the forces involved, I'm personally not sure that a standard cycling helmet would have helped him too much either.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

giff77 | 4 years ago
1 like

As Rick says. 60 on a pan flat stretch of dual!  Sign that guy up for some pro team. I can barely hit 50 coming off Crow Road in Glasgow on a road bike.  The concussion is playing havoc with his cognitive thinking. Even a helmet will not have prevented concussion at that kind of speed. The guys have been on a pub crawl on a day out on the bikes. It’s been one of those things. Hit a pot hole, clipped the kerb at 20mph or so through inattention and the tarmac has become a cheese grater. Injuries have been made worse by the angle  he’s hit the deck. 

Hope the fella mends up soon and isn’t put off cycling! 

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
2 likes

LOL at 60mph on that thing with knobblies and BSO pedals still on.  It's a rare day I'll get near 50 and that's with head down, flat back style and plenty of hill to go down. That dude should be a pro if he can hit 60mph on that stretch on that bike.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
1 like

60mph + helmet = no discernable difference

Presumably he broke his pelvis, limbs etc

Fabio Casartelli...

growingvegtables | 4 years ago
1 like

Two wee messages for Mark?

1.   All very best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
  2.  And "Please ... DON'T get a helmet!  Seriously, mate ... if you think a helmet would have protected you at 60mph, you're BONKERS."    As kindly as I can, there's far too many fatalities and serious injuries every year ... to guys who think helmets give them invincibility .  
hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Luckily, my noscript/ad-blocking meant that I didn't see the pictures.

I've got my doubts about whether he was going at 60mph and I wonder where he got that figure from (possibly from his ghostly grandparents who were watching him apparently).

Anyhow, at least he's still alive and kicking, so I wish him all the best in his recovery and hopefully he won't test out how effective or not a helmet actually is.

Latest Comments