Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Oman Open for Business

Just for fun this one, but an interesting race. Last year's edition was won by Alexey Lutenko and he's back to defend his title. There was also 6 different stage winners and this year looks to be just as varied. The field is sprint heavy with Kristoff (who was ill in Valencia last week and not at his best), Greipel, Nizzolo, Colbrelli, Coquard, Bouhanni, Bonifazio, and a few more from the PCT teams will make for very competitive sprint stages.

However, the race isn't that simple. I can see 2 stages guaranteed to end in a sprint, and a couple of other slight uphill finishes or tricky finales with nasty climbs 5km from the finish. Good classics training for the likes of Van Avermaet, Naesen, and co.

There is also the usual summit finish up Green Mountain, and Lustenko doesn't have Lopez to help him this time as he's off in Colombia. Maybe Pozzovivo fancies it, or Jesus Herrada, Rui Costa, or Jan Polanc?

Last year the wins were all close, as was the GC. So, who are your favourites?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

85 comments

Dr Winston replied to dc04dc | 5 years ago
0 likes

dc04dc wrote:

I’m so confused — do these races count toward the overall standard and purist leagues, or not? Totals keep being added every day. If they don’t count, will there be a reset?

Yes...a reset when they fix the glitch. A couple of races they kindly threw in for fun to fill a big gap. 

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

dc04dc wrote:

I’m so confused — do these races count toward the overall standard and purist leagues, or not? Totals keep being added every day. If they don’t count, will there be a reset?

Yes...a reset when they fix the glitch. A couple of races they kindly threw in for fun to fill a big gap. 

To be clear...there was a big gap between the start of the UCI Callander in Australia and the UAE tour as the next one on the UCI Calander....so they did a couple of races just for fun to fill the gap. Nice...but not counted towards the season competition.

TERatcliffe26 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Im going to get back into posting if debate is going to be this good, this thread feels like the old days.

Ive gone Polanc and 3 transfers for tomorrow

Gibbons
GVA
Pozzovivo
Costa
Herrada
Lutsenko
Polanc
Filosi

Dr Winston replied to TERatcliffe26 | 5 years ago
0 likes

TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Im going to get back into posting if debate is going to be this good, this thread feels like the old days.

Ive gone Polanc and 3 transfers for tomorrow

Gibbons
GVA
Pozzovivo
Costa
Herrada
Lutsenko
Polanc
Filosi

How sure of GVA are you Ter?...he’s bombed on this stage two years running. I may risk dropping him in pursuit of a differential.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hey gamble paid off quite handsomely. I played Chess as a junior too and Bridge later on but frankly this is far more fun, particularly the 3 week game. Climers? Naeson/ I might leave Gibbons in 12th on Wilunga.

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Hey gamble paid off quite handsomely. I played Chess as a junior too and Bridge later on but frankly this is far more fun, particularly the 3 week game. Climers? Naeson/ I might leave Gibbons in 12th on Wilunga.

Pleased for you...what was the gamble Steve?

I'm gonna enjoy these "Just for fun" games".

The problem is, to win one, and if you're placed maybe around 4th to 10th, you have to gamble something different to those above you...no good doing the same.

I did exactlty that last year in a few races...it paid off for Catalunya when i won that..but usually it's shooting yourself in the foot.

The top two or maybe three, depending upon points,  can just carry on getting the best picks...it's up to those behind to win it by doing something different.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Pleased for you...what was the gamble Steve?

I'm gonna enjoy these "Just for fun" games".

The problem is, to win one, and if you're placed maybe around 4th to 10th, you have to gamble something different to those above you...no good doing the same.

I did exactlty that last year in a few races...it paid off for Catalunya when i won that..but usually it's shooting yourself in the foot.

The top two or maybe three, depending upon points,  can just carry on getting the best picks...it's up to those behind to win it by doing something different.

stevemarks wrote:

Huge gamble leaving Kristof and Coquard out here but I need two transfers and I just don't think it's worth using them up. Colbrelli won this stage in 2017 so I don.t want to take him out, best do nothing and save the transfers.

Obviously my subconcious must have blacked out Kristof's name when I looked at the result in 2017 lol I ended up making no transfers leaving GVA and Costa in and Kristof and Coquard out saving two transfers. I am always guilty of making too many transfers too early so its a particularly satisfying feeling for once... 

tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

I played chess as a youth, but found it too slow and boring. Now I play a form of chess that can take up to 3 weeks per match. Go figure.

Stage 5, Minardi, "then????"  Yes, I want to know who to pick for ? and ?

Dr Winston replied to tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

tony kappler wrote:

I played chess as a youth, but found it too slow and boring. Now I play a form of chess that can take up to 3 weeks per match. Go figure.

Polanc and Frank may do ok. Won’t be enough though I suspect. 

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

tony kappler wrote:

My impulsiveness won out yesterday evening and I went with the safe bet - dropping GVA for Kristoff and bringing in Coquard. Once I had made the pick I knew what would happen today  1

Given the lack of decent climbers GVA will probably get a top10 tomorrow.

The ??? for the climbers means I am not at all sure. Gesbert ? Doubey ? Polanc ? Cras ?

I don't see Frank doing anything, will Weening show his face ?

Maybe Cort was saving himself for tomorrow Dr Winston ?

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

tony kappler wrote:

My impulsiveness won out yesterday evening and I went with the safe bet - dropping GVA for Kristoff and bringing in Coquard. Once I had made the pick I knew what would happen today  1

Given the lack of decent climbers GVA will probably get a top10 tomorrow.

The ??? for the climbers means I am not at all sure. Gesbert ? Doubey ? Polanc ? Cras ?

I don't see Frank doing anything, will Weening show his face ?

Maybe Cort was saving himself for tomorrow Dr Winston ?

Pffft...do you think so...for another hard day at the back. He’s so damned flaky, it seems to be all or nothing. I didn’t expect him to win but just somewhere at the lower end of the top ten would have done me nicely.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Pffft...do you think so...for another hard day at the back. He’s so damned flaky, it seems to be all or nothing. I didn’t expect him to win but just somewhere at the lower end of the top ten would have done me nicely.

I think it was his turn to work for the team today, before the stage he said he might be asked to work for the team, I guess he is swapping duties with Ballerini.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I think it was his turn to work for the team today, before the stage he said he might be asked to work for the team, I guess he is swapping duties with Ballerini.

Wish i'd seen that Minardi...where do you see such quoutes?

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Wish i'd seen that Minardi...where do you see such quoutes?

It was from a pre-stage interview posted on Twitter but was too late to take into account. I had Cort too.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Damn. I needed a good finish from Magnus Cort but he’s nowhere to be seen. That should end my challenge.

tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

Do any of you guys (particularly Dr Winston and Minardi) play chess (with it's requirement to think many moves ahead)?

Swapped Costa for Colbrelli, which I thought was only a marginal improvement. Hoping Cort and Costa are only so so in stage 4.

Any thoughts on your 5th and 6th climbers for stage 5?

I think there is a new performance enhancing drug out there which is undetectable. I noticed last year various Spanish riders doing uncharteristically well. Lutsenko and Kristoff are both good riders, but they both seem to be at 110%

MinardiM189 replied to tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

tony kappler wrote:

Do any of you guys (particularly Dr Winston and Minardi) play chess (with it's requirement to think many moves ahead)?

Swapped Costa for Colbrelli, which I thought was only a marginal improvement. Hoping Cort and Costa are only so so in stage 4.

I think there is a new performance enhancing drug out there which is undetectable. I noticed last year various Spanish riders doing uncharteristically well. Lutsenko and Kristoff are both good riders, but they both seem to be at 110%

I am hopeless at chess, far too impulsive. What I do have is quite a bit of spare time, so I go through quite a few permutations before making the wrong decisions.

As for climbers for stage 5, apart from Lutsenko, Pozzovivo, Herrada, Costa, then ????

Astana always seem to start the season with a bang, this season even more so. I suspect their training is aimed at peaking  early in the season to get results in the bag. Lutsenko has gone well in Oman since 2017.

Kristoff has always been strong in the early part of the season, so not a great surprise he is doing well this year.

Dr Winston replied to tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

tony kappler wrote:

Not sure who else to go with yet Tony. As it’s not for OR i’m Just gonna see if a couple of extra transfers can help me....if it was on OR the chances of me being without Kristoff today would be about nil...he’s really strong.

I need Cort and Colbrelli to do well and for one of the GC boys to drag the others into the points.

I should fall several places and then see if I can rise....not many choices though.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Huge gamble leaving Kristof and Coquard out here but I need two transfers and I just don't think it's worth using them up. Colbrelli won this stage in 2017 so I don.t want to take him out, best do nothing and save the transfers. 

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Considering the same gamble of leaving Kristoff out. The gamble is that I could do better with seven remaining transfers for the last two stages. Realliscally I would have to do something like Costa and Cort > Kristoff and 3.0 to get him in and leave me with just 5 transfers for the last two days and no Costa. 

Mmmm...

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

I just discovered I have 2 more transfers than I thought.

Colbrelli finished 2nd behind Kristof in 2017 with Van Avermaet 3rd, but there is a lot more distance between the final climb and the finish this year.

The weather forecast suggests it will be a windy day, so echelons could well play a part.

Coquard has been taking it easy so far, so it is difficult to know if he will be OK over the climbs.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, when Dave figures out a fix, we'll rerun the updates to take the scores out of the overall game. Sorry.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Yeah, when Dave figures out a fix, we'll rerun the updates to take the scores out of the overall game. Sorry.

doesn't matter...just have to do it again. Will the Algarve game be part of overall or not?

Quite nice to have a few exempt races where we can be far more cavalier with picks to try and win a race. I went for a few differentials last year to try and win races but it's a gamble on our OR's. 

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Going well. Up to 4th in the standard game. ...and 7th overall (am I going to lose my rank with that reset?)

Wasn't sure whether this was a GC finish or a Rolleur finish so in the end I had a straight choice of Herrada and Pozzovivo or a fudge of Herrada and Gibbons. ...went for the latter for Kristoff and Capiot...Gibbons could be the better pick than Pozzovivo  today so maybe for the best over the two days.

Another odd looking day today...those three climbs are tough and could see a few sprinters unhappy If  the pace is high.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Going well. Up to 4th in the standard game. ...and 7th overall (am I going to lose my rank with that reset?)

Wasn't sure whether this was a GC finish or a Rolleur finish so in the end I had a straight choice of Herrada and Pozzovivo or a fudge of Herrada and Gibbons. ...went for the latter for Kristoff and Capiot...Gibbons could be the better pick than Pozzovivo  today so maybe for the best over the two days.

Another odd looking day today...those three climbs are tough and could see a few sprinters unhappy If  the pace is high.

A better day for me. I won the purist stage  1

The question for tomorrow is which sprinters will be in touch over the final climb.

Do I drop GVA for Kristoff, or do I abandon Colbrelli ?

Do I bring another spriner in?

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

A better day for me. I won the purist stage  1

The question for tomorrow is which sprinters will be in touch over the final climb.

Do I drop GVA for Kristoff, or do I abandon Colbrelli ?

Do I bring another spriner in?

Managed to go up a place to 3rd despite Magnus Corts best efforts at torpedoing my day.. 44 pts behind Tony though so a damned near impossible task. One more transfer than him left and I already have Costa. He’ll surely do Costa, Pozzovivo and one other in.....maybe two....

Mmmm...

Looks like it’s his to lose.

Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Another day another error.  Spent yesterday evening pondering a single change for stage 3 Herrada for De Decker.  Decided I wasn't sure enough about Herrada and kept the transfer for another day.

Herrada 2nd, De Decker DNF.

Did have 3 of the top 4.  'Could have been a contender'

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Echelons in Stage 3

Costa, GVA, Lutsenko, Cort in a group of 13 that has broken away.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hmm why are we doing algarve and not Ruta del Sol?

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Hmm why are we doing algarve and not Ruta del Sol?

There was a post about upcoming races asking for peoples'opinions.

Oman, Algarve and then UAE were proposed and nobody suggested anything else.

Pages

Latest Comments