Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour of Oman Open for Business

Just for fun this one, but an interesting race. Last year's edition was won by Alexey Lutenko and he's back to defend his title. There was also 6 different stage winners and this year looks to be just as varied. The field is sprint heavy with Kristoff (who was ill in Valencia last week and not at his best), Greipel, Nizzolo, Colbrelli, Coquard, Bouhanni, Bonifazio, and a few more from the PCT teams will make for very competitive sprint stages.

However, the race isn't that simple. I can see 2 stages guaranteed to end in a sprint, and a couple of other slight uphill finishes or tricky finales with nasty climbs 5km from the finish. Good classics training for the likes of Van Avermaet, Naesen, and co.

There is also the usual summit finish up Green Mountain, and Lustenko doesn't have Lopez to help him this time as he's off in Colombia. Maybe Pozzovivo fancies it, or Jesus Herrada, Rui Costa, or Jan Polanc?

Last year the wins were all close, as was the GC. So, who are your favourites?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

85 comments

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I just saw the replay of the sprint.

Bonifazio doing a disgraceful move on Bouhanni. Took them both out of contention

tony kappler | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thought I was home and hosed with Kristoff, Greipel, Bonifacio and Bouhanni in for the last stage.

I think Bonifacio bumped Greipel before Bouhanni.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Oh well....3rd in the end for the standard game and just 12 pts off...not bad. Special thanks to Magnus Cort who goes on “the list”....The less said about my purist team the better...I really need to work a plan out for those.

Good picks by you Minardi.....just not your day.

0 likes

I brought in Kristoff, Bonifazio, Bouhanni & Van Poppel in for todays stage.

Between them they scored ZERO !!!!

However, with that result I think I may be joint top in the purist.  1

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I brought in Kristoff, Bonifazio, Bouhanni & Van Poppel in for todays stage.

Between them they scored ZERO !!!!

However, with that result I think I may be joint top in the purist.  1

Well done Minardi...first win of the season...On another day and with a bit of luck you could have done the double.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Well done Minardi...first win of the season...On another day and with a bit of luck you could have done the double.

Thanks.

After cocking up on Stage4 I was never going to win the standard competition. At the end of the day I was lucky to stay in the top 10.

I've had that happen before, lots of transfers for the last stage and I lose out. All the riders I bring in mess up and people who had no transfers beat me becuase they have to keep the GC guys.

Looks like the same happened to Tony, really strong sprinters team but they all messed up.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Alright, hands up, who went for Nizzolo or Ballerini for today? I already had Colbrelli, but I brought Kristoff and Coquard back in.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Alright, hands up, who went for Nizzolo or Ballerini for today? I already had Colbrelli, but I brought Kristoff and Coquard back in.

Had Colbrelli Kristoff and Coquard with Bouhanni as my other main hope...nowhere to be seen...

Tbh my other options were almost Greipel back instead of Kristoff but he did nothing either...or Visconti for Gibbons. All the options I considered wouldn’t really have left me any better off. Nizzolo was way off my radar.

0 likes

Kristoff retires from the race after crashing.

That could make it interesting if anyone went for a radical approach.

Good for my purist team too.  1

TERatcliffe26 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Should have gone Gesbert over Polanc, but other than that i did what i could have with what transfers i had

0 likes

I didn't unfortunately, never occured to me. I need to learn more effective transfer management. You'd think I'd know after playing for 6 years and running the game for 2 years  3

0 likes

Huge result from young Frenchman Grellier, and well done everyone who scooped up Gesbert, he bagged 5th on the line. He's now 5th on GC and in the young riders jersey.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Huge result from young Frenchman Grellier, and well done everyone who scooped up Gesbert, he bagged 5th on the line. He's now 5th on GC and in the young riders jersey.

Yep...well done to them indeed. Did you get him Andy ?

Good races these...i don't know enough about some of these riders so races like this helps.  He could have been left at the bottom of that hill for all i knew.

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

Yep...well done to them indeed. Did you get him Andy ?

Good races these...i don't know enough about some of these riders so races like this helps.  He could have been left at the bottom of that hill for all i knew.

Grellier has no record i can see of performing uphill, how does that happen?

I missed it and was out, was he in the breakaway?

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Grellier has no record i can see of performing uphill, how does that happen?

I missed it and was out, was he in the breakaway?

Yes he was in the break.

0 likes

My purist team is hopeless *cough* Haas *cough*. 16th in standard, but with a similar team to everyone else and only 2 transfers left for tomorrow.

0 likes

I went

POZZOVIVO
POLANC
LUTSENKO
GIBBONS
GESBERT
COSTA
HERRADA
COQUARD

with 4 transfers left for tomorrow (for some reason I though there were only 10 transfers so planned the first few stages based on that).

It is forecast to be windy today, so echelons could blow things apart.

Dropping GVA for Kristoff yesterday messed any chances I might have had up, a top10 is the best I can hope for.

Maybe a top3 in purist.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I went

POZZOVIVO
POLANC
LUTSENKO
GIBBONS
GESBERT
COSTA
HERRADA
COQUARD

with 4 transfers left for tomorrow (for some reason I though there were only 10 transfers so planned the first few stages based on that).

It is forecast to be windy today, so echelons could blow things apart.

Dropping GVA for Kristoff yesterday messed any chances I might have had up, a top10 is the best I can hope for.

Maybe a top3 in purist.

The only reason I ignored those at the lower end of the top 10  on GC , like Gesberg, is because I simply don't know how they ride a hill this steep and long....they have the form on the lesser hills for sure. Frank is the opposite...rubbish form but at least he's done this one before and done ok without ripping up any trees....and Tony may have been less inclined to get him than the form cheapies....Last throw of the dice really.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

The only reason I ignored those at the lower end of the top 10  on GC , like Gesberg, is because I simply don't know how they ride a hill this steep and long....they have the form on the lesser hills for sure. Frank is the opposite...rubbish form but at least he's done this one before and done ok without ripping up any trees....and Tony may have been less inclined to get him than the form cheapies....Last throw of the dice really.

Frank did come 7th on the same stage in 2017 but his form in the preceding stages was much better than this year. He is also on my black list.

If Gesbert does OK I can see him moving up to 5th on GC and taking the young rider jersey. That would give him at least 11 points in the final stage which is the best you can expect from a cheap sprinter.

I think there is a good chance GVA gets around top10. The field this year is pretty poor.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Frank did come 7th on the same stage in 2017 but his form in the preceding stages was much better than this year. He is also on my black list.

If Gesbert does OK I can see him moving up to 5th on GC and taking the young rider jersey. That would give him at least 11 points in the final stage which is the best you can expect from a cheap sprinter.

I think there is a good chance GVA gets around top10. The field this year is pretty poor.

Yes it is poor. No Lopez flying up that hill this year to kill GVA's GC rank. I'm expecting about tenth for Frank maybe, I just don't know enough about Gesbert on a climb like this  to have picked him....and yes....GVA could well place ok today...my hope is he doesn't and Frank exceeds my expectation. My picks are more about trying to close that gap of 44 pts on Tony. GVA and Kristoff can't do that for me and being as it's a "just for fun" game I may as well try.

Dr Winston replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Yes it is poor. No Lopez flying up that hill this year to kill GVA's GC rank. I'm expecting about tenth for Frank maybe, I just don't know enough about Gesbert on a climb like this  to have picked him....and yes....GVA could well place ok today...my hope is he doesn't and Frank exceeds my expectation. My picks are more about trying to close that gap of 44 pts on Tony. GVA and Kristoff can't do that for me and being as it's a "just for fun" game I may as well try.

In fact i can word it better than that. At 44 pts behind the only chance i have of winning the tour of Oman is to take GVA out for somebody else and hope Tony keeps him and he bombs up that hill again...and not get Kristoff back in again tomorrow and hope he has a thin day whilst i go for Bouhanni or somebody like that who does well...or wins...I kinda worked out that was my only choice really. I wouldn't do any of it if counted towards GC.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

In fact i can word it better than that. At 44 pts behind the only chance i have of winning the tour of Oman is to take GVA out for somebody else and hope Tony keeps him and he bombs up that hill again...and not get Kristoff back in again tomorrow and hope he has a thin day whilst i go for Bouhanni or somebody like that who does well...or wins...I kinda worked out that was my only choice really. I wouldn't do any of it if counted towards GC.

Pity I messed up on stage 4.

Quite a good stage 5 for me, although I have no idea why I left Coquard in and dropped Kristoff.

Maybe a Grosu, Greipel, Nizzolo combination can pull off a surprise win.

I think Gibbons will ride for Nizzolo tomorrow.

Is it worth keeping Herrada in, last year he picked up points in the sprint?

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Followed Minardi and took out GVA in the hope he doesn’t like this summit as much as he didn’t like it for the last two years. 

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Followed Minardi and took out GVA in the hope he doesn’t like this summit as much as he didn’t like it for the last two years. 

Went with the 4 main guys plus Frank although I have no faith in him whatsoever. Left Gibbons and Cras and Naesen in. leaves me 3 transfers for tomorrow.

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Went with the 4 main guys plus Frank although I have no faith in him whatsoever. Left Gibbons and Cras and Naesen in. leaves me 3 transfers for tomorrow.

i’m on Frank Polanc Costa Lutsenko Pozzovivo Herrada....Colbrelli and Gibbons...Four transfers for tomorrow.

Like you i’m on hit and hope with Frank. 

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

i’m on Frank Polanc Costa Lutsenko Pozzovivo Herrada....Colbrelli and Gibbons...Four transfers for tomorrow.

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Van Rensberg is my point of difference.  OK, it is a long shot.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

W

Van Rensberg is my point of difference.  OK, it is a long shot.

Did you take out GVA?.....Frank or Van Rensburg was my dither....went with the former.

dc04dc | 5 years ago
0 likes

OK, thank you.

dc04dc | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’m so confused — do these races count toward the overall standard and purist leagues, or not? Totals keep being added every day. If they don’t count, will there be a reset?

Pages

Latest Comments