Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wide (145mm or so) saddle recommendations?

Hi,

I've got a Specialized Romin Evo 143mm saddle and am looking to replace it as it's getting a bit worn.

Can anyone recommend a high quality (expensive) saddle that supports wide sit bones at approx 145mm wide?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use a Berthoud Aspin for touring. It feels like a block of wood, but it's incredibly comfortable. Their 'racing' saddles are 146mm wide. 

http://www.gillesberthoud.fr/_en/selles/index.php

liquigaz | 6 years ago
0 likes

Saddles are a completely personal thing, and I've spent far too much money searching for the Holy Grail of all day comfort; but I have to say, I now lean towards Specialized saddles. I too was happy with my Romin; happier still with an Avatar, but even this has been trumped by my latest acquisition - a Phenom Expert. I've got a 155, but it comes in 143mm too. It's seen me through a couple of 100 milers and my comfort is now more down to bib short choice than the saddle!

iandusud | 6 years ago
0 likes

As others have said a very personal thing but I love the Cosine Ti Endurance

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-ti-endurance-road-saddle/

Also see my comments here:

http://road.cc/content/review/176433-prologo-2016-scratch-2-space-tirox-...

pockstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just picked up a PRO griffon anatomic which is available in a choice of widths and also massively reduced at Pro Bike Kit. White, but you can't have everything.

Nice and light, the lady at the post office thought I'd been sent an empty box.

Mentioned on Road CC deal catcher earlier in the week.

Still in its packaging so cannot comment on comfort but I'm hoping it will help me avoid the dreaded 60 mile numbness.

Rahario | 6 years ago
0 likes

Whilst Saddles can be a personal choice,

I use a Cosine Race with carbon rails. Comfy, fairly light and roughly the width you're after.

Also good value.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-race-saddle-with-carbon-rails?sku=5360763...

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

@hawkinspeter I am mentioning Romin in particular as I tried around other 10 (!) before finding that only this saddle can make you sit where you have to, on your sitbones. If I had to try another brand, I would give a try at SMP but their prices/weight ratio and their way too flashy graphics are a turn off...

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

@Cyclisto - I haven't found anything wrong with the Romin, but I'd like to widen my experience of other makes. Also, I think the Romin looks a bit boring which shouldn't really be a factor but is.

0 likes

@Butty - that's really useful. I'm quite flexible, too, so I'll have another look at the Selle Italia range.

cyclisto | 6 years ago
0 likes

Well the solution is really simple, replace your Romin with a brand new. Maybe a little hard on the sitbones if no padded shorts are used, but your willy is on the air. Now most saddle manufacturers copy what Spesh was among the first to introduce, firm wide saddles with hole and a kicked tail

No Sweat | 6 years ago
0 likes

@hawkinspeter the selle Italia website seems quite comprehensive - I had no idea they made so many variations on a theme!

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/flite/ shows the Flite is 145mm wide by 275mm long if that helps.

0 likes

@No Sweat - I've looked at some of the Selle Italia range but found it a bit confusing about what widths they are.

Butty replied to hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

@No Sweat - I've looked at some of the Selle Italia range but found it a bit confusing about what widths they are.

The L code =145+mm width. S = 131+ mm.

The 1-3 code refers to the size of  hole cut out (if any) for that model with 3 being largest and the superflow having an xtra large cut out.

Model choice is supposedly down to your size and flexibility.

I am broad beamed but flexible and swear by the L width saddles. The last two years I've tried the SLR superflow L3 Ti rails which is bliss and have also had joy with the Flite model.

No Sweat | 6 years ago
0 likes

Trouble is that saddle comfort is very subjective.

I really like the (several) Selle Italia Flite Ti saddles that I have, both in the 'original' 1990s style, and the current ones. I've used them on MTBs and road bikes for many years. Not as light as the Pro Turnix Carbon though, I would imagine.

I agree with velochris that buying on ebay is the least risky way to try out expensive saddles - I did just that with my first Flite. 

Richard1982 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Pro Turnix Carbon (155g) is available in 132mm, 142mm and 152mm.

hawkinspeter replied to Richard1982 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Richard1982 wrote:

Pro Turnix Carbon (155g) is available in 132mm, 142mm and 152mm.

That looks like the kind of thing. I just tried out their saddle selector and it recommended a Pro Stealth Carbon saddle. (Sigma Sports have them in stock in the 152mm).

I'll see if anyone comes up with a better suggestion, but that looks very promising.

0 likes

@velochris - thanks, but I'd prefer a light racy saddle rather than a heavier comfy saddle.

velochris | 6 years ago
0 likes

They are heavy but the Brooks Cambium C saddles are the most comfy saddle I have ever used. The one piece rubber creates a hammock and I have not had any discomfort on them at all (including a one day 200 mile ride). Variety of widths available.

Like all saddles, I always suggest buying used on ebay. You won't lose too much if you don't like it and want to sell on.

Latest Comments