Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

9000 Dura Ace or 8000 Ultegra?

Right peeps.

The bike build is continuing (thanks to overtime at work!) and I have a decision to make, the new bike will be di2 and hydro disc brake. I can't stretch to, or justify new Dura Ace, so do I go for the 9000 series Dura Ace or the new 8000 series Ultegra. I've already got the non series 785 shifters. Hmmm choices choices.....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

From my experience DA lasts longer and better than Integra, but I've only owned mechanical

froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

I would go with the Ultegra, there isn't enough differences between DA and Ultegra to make it worth the extra money other than bragging rights.  Being the tight wad I am I personally would go with all 105 except change the rear derailleur to Ultegra, because everything else you're not going to realize anything significant to justisfy the price, but the Ultegra rear derailleur will shift better on rough surfaces than 105 rear derailleur will.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

DA will keep its resale value longer, if you're thinking long term.

Jimmy Ray Will | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'd go 9000... purely because those 785 levers are going to get on your goat really quickly if the rest of the bike is 8000. The new 8000 shifters will tempt you in the end... 

So go 9000 and you'll have a matching group. 

Leeroy_Silk | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm running 9000 and cannot fault it in the slightest.  For me, there are a few actors to consider:

Previous posts are correct in stating 8000 has an improved front mech and a bigger range rear mech, 9000 your limited to 28T whereas 8000 you can go up to 32T. 

Cost of servicable parts, 8000 will almost certainly be cheaper, I've never had to replace anything major (apart from chains) although the cost of replacement cassettes does make me wince. 

Finally, the bling factor. Would you rather have a brand new Porsche, or an almost new Ferrari? It depends purely on who you are, and for once there is no right or wrong answer. smiley

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
0 likes

No personal experience of either but think about the cost of replacing bits as and when they wear or break.  More overtime needed to buy a new DuraAce chainring or pair of jockey wheels.

part_robot | 6 years ago
1 like

8000 Ultegra if you're willing to wait. Main reason: 1/ that front mech 2/ wider range rear mech (the R9000 takes a max 28 cassette officially whereas the R8000 takes 34). If the front mech's anything like the R9100 one it'll be bloody brilliant (I have one). If you're not willing to wait, get 9000 and upgrade the front and rear mech when the 8000 comes along.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

part_robot wrote:

8000 Ultegra if you're willing to wait. Main reason: 1/ that front mech 2/ wider range rear mech (the R9000 takes a max 28 cassette officially whereas the R8000 takes 34). If the front mech's anything like the R9100 one it'll be bloody brilliant (I have one). If you're not willing to wait, get 9000 and upgrade the front and rear mech when the 8000 comes along.

DA 9000 rear mech does 30T no problems and some are using it with a 32T even on the big ring

part_robot replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

part_robot wrote:

DA 9000 rear mech does 30T no problems and some are using it with a 32T even on the big ring

True. And I have my R9100 on 32T. Didn't want to recommend it though  3

BehindTheBikesheds replied to part_robot | 6 years ago
0 likes

part_robot wrote:

part_robot wrote:

True. And I have my R9100 on 32T. Didn't want to recommend it though  3

Ah but the 9100 rear mech is an absolute dogs dinner, it's the fucking ugliest rear mech since some of the 80s weird shit, no actually, it doesn't come close, it's hideous beyond imagination.

I don't mind the look of the cranks, I stuck with my FSA K-Force light's instead of getting a 9000, 9100 overall is a bit meh, mechanically I know it's fab but honestly that rear mech I just can't get over how much of a munter it is! I'd rather slap the 33T ring on (I'm usually a 52 or 50 + 36 guy for my terrain) and stick with the 28 or 30 than lower myself to such ugliness.

The older 6700 SS RD was designed for 30T and would do 32T easily, can't understand why Shimano took a backward step with the 6800/9000 stated capacity

fukawitribe replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

Ah but the 9100 rear mech is an absolute dogs dinner, it's the fucking ugliest rear mech since some of the 80s weird shit, no actually, it doesn't come close, it's hideous beyond imagination.

I don't mind the look of the cranks, I stuck with my FSA K-Force light's instead of getting a 9000, 9100 overall is a bit meh, mechanically I know it's fab but honestly that rear mech I just can't get over how much of a munter it is! I'd rather slap the 33T ring on (I'm usually a 52 or 50 + 36 guy for my terrain) and stick with the 28 or 30 than lower myself to such ugliness.

The older 6700 SS RD was designed for 30T and would do 32T easily, can't understand why Shimano took a backward step with the 6800/9000 stated capacity

Personally I really like them - much sleeker, tucked away, much more like the MTB mechs (which is unsurprising..) - especially the top, cage is a bit whatever. The old 6700 mechs were OK, in all black, apart from that God awful barrel adjuster and cable guide that looked like they'd forgotten about it and had the intern CAD guy hack it on at the last moment - hideous. That whole black and silver thing too - jeezus wept that looked cheap and not particular cheerful.

All IMO of course.

I do prefer the new Ultegra RX mechs to both of them though  1

(Oh, looking at the old Shimano tech docs it looks like the 6700 SS RD had a stated capacity of 33, max 28T, min 11T and 16T front chainring difference - same as the 6800 and 9000 SS RDs - so they've not really changed the public specs and they still keep on shifting bigger cogs and larger gaps just like they always did. No dramas, they're just being safe, but no idea why they don't acknowledge it more either.)

bobobnj replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

part_robot wrote:

Bruh, anyone running a 32t in the big ring is pedaling downhill. Even with a 52 tooth big ring, that derailleur is under full tension as too as the shif is made. It won't take much torque to rip that thing right off. A 30 in the big ring is pushing it. I would pedal too hard. 

I have set these up over 100 times, I live in Southern California and it's very hilly here. Overweight middleaged men love to purchase 14ln bikes for $10-15,000 and then ask you to throw the largest cassette possible on there. 30 is the largest I set them up or we have to swap for an XTR derailleur.

You can run a 32 but when you are in the big ring, you need to make sure you practice staying at the 28t cog or lower. It takes some bicycle i.q. and awareness to not screw that up. 

BehindTheBikesheds replied to bobobnj | 5 years ago
0 likes

bobobnj wrote:

part_robot wrote:

Bruh, anyone running a 32t in the big ring is pedaling downhill. Even with a 52 tooth big ring, that derailleur is under full tension as too as the shif is made. It won't take much torque to rip that thing right off. A 30 in the big ring is pushing it. I would pedal too hard. 

I have set these up over 100 times, I live in Southern California and it's very hilly here. Overweight middleaged men love to purchase 14ln bikes for $10-15,000 and then ask you to throw the largest cassette possible on there. 30 is the largest I set them up or we have to swap for an XTR derailleur.

You can run a 32 but when you are in the big ring, you need to make sure you practice staying at the 28t cog or lower. It takes some bicycle i.q. and awareness to not screw that up. 

Well maybe you're new to cycling buddy but some of us have been around and going beyond the stated limits of cycling components for best part of 30 years, don't start throwing weight around calling into question people's IQs suggesting what is possible and what actually works. How many mechs you seen ripped off going big big on a short cage?

I don't care what other people do but I'm just saying what is possible and for the purpose of getting a lower gear the DA9000 and indeed 6800 short cage it's possible to use a 32T sprocket with a small inner c'ring and it not foul or be ripped off even under duress.

Maybe you're not setting things up right/just being ultra conservative, that's up to you but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean you have to start insulting people!

0 likes

part_robot wrote:

0 likes

part_robot wrote:

bobbypuk replied to bobobnj | 5 years ago
1 like

bobobnj wrote:

I'm struggling to get my head round this. 32x52 is about a 43" gear. If you're pedalling that downhill then top marks for souplesse. You're not going to get much torque in though.

The _Kaner | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have no first hand experience of either, but IMO the Ultegra8000 option would win out...

seve88 | 6 years ago
1 like

Apparantly the front mech makes set up easier as no need for barrel adjusters. The brakes also have more clearance in keeping with trends for wider tyres.

I would prefer those features as opposed to 150g or so weight saving.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Agreed.

Horatio159159 | 6 years ago
1 like

I would choose 8000 Ultegra

Latest Comments