Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Alternative to Asgard shed

Hi there,

ive just moved from a 5th floor flat with a lockable storage area to a suburban terraced house with a garden. At the moment the bikes are locked together in the kitchen which, for obvious reasons, is not a workable situation long term. I'm looking for some help regarding bike storage solutions. The house is a rental so I can't put wall anchors or wall mounted storage solutions in. Was looking at the Asgard shed and a similar Tesco storage solution. 

Does anyone have experience of the Asgard or other options? I've looked at the plant pot racks as well. Any help appreciated

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

SteveTheFish | 7 years ago
0 likes

We've got an asgard that fits 4 adult bikes easily. I would recommend it 100%. It's possible to get something cheaper but I doubt you can buy something better (other than building a custom solutions yourself which takes extra time and skill).

dunnoh | 7 years ago
2 likes

I built a shed from timber myself.   I used basic feather edge on the outside with chicken wire underneath it.  Standard plasterboard timber for the frame and tounge and groove on the inside.  I put inch thick ply on the roof and used a decked base.  It has a proper lock on the door and no windows and inside I use a Pragmasis 12 foot chain to go round the bike and it goes round a lampost under the shed.  The shed was broken into but because of the bendy outer shiplap and the chicken wire they couldnt get in   The doors all open outwards and have wooden blocks top and bottom and they just kept bouncing off when booting it.  Even if they had of got in the Pragmasis chain is the best on the market  (well that and the Almax Imobiliser that I use at work) and it hangs off the ground meaning its really hard to grind or sledgehammer.  Im going to put a camera on it but in 5 years its kept eveything safe.  And it just looks like a wobbly man made shed so it isnt a massive target

SecurityCyclist | 7 years ago
3 likes

I use a standard 2nd hand shed bought from gumtree so that it is fairly unassuming from the outside.
I have used one way security bolts to replace the standard ones on all fixtures so access is not as easy as removing hinges/lock plates.
Inside I have bolted butterfly type bike stands for both front and rear wheels to the floor and a solid steel D ring to the wall support posts at top tube height. Again, all of these are fixed with one way security bolts.
I place my bike(s) in the shed with the wheels in the butterfly stands and against one of the walls. I then loop a security cable through the stands and wheels and attach to the D lock that goes through the wall D ring and around the top tube. This anchors the bike fairly securely at three points.
I appreciate that there are still ways of stealing the bike, but to do so would probably result in the destruction of the shed and create enough noise to alert people.
I built this solution on these principles:
- The shed does not look like it contains expensive items so is less likely to be attempted by anything more than a opportunist
- If anyone other than an opportunist breaks in based on the outside they are unlikely to be prepared enough tool wise for what's inside
- Once inside it will either look like too much work to extract the bikes or take them long enough/ make them loud enough to have a chance at being caught.

Of cause once it's been broken into once I will have to revisit this as once known they have the opportunity to come back better prepared, but I would probably have the bikes live in the flat for a few months following to cover this eventuality.

For any interested in the cost of doing this:

2nd hand shed from gumtree = ~£60
4x Butterfly bike stands = ~£25
2x D ring solid steel anchor = ~£20
1x packet security screws = ~£5
1x weatherproof padlock = ~£20
Total = ~£130

I have also reinforced the shed internally with scraps of discarded MDF at no extra cost to myself except my time.

I take security pretty seriously which is why as added security I have posted this via a fresh account but I am another user on here  3

bobbinogs | 7 years ago
1 like

Yepp, another big fan of the Asgards.  I got the 3-4 bike sized one which is great.  I had to construct a platform for it but that only took a couple of hours (some rough hardcore and a few inches of concrete, nothing too technical or heavyweight, just as well given my puny upper body).  

They do dismantle so, as long as one was careful and ensured that all instructions were kept, etc., then i don't see it as too much of a problem.  I bought mine about 10 years ago and it is still in great shape.  I certainly plan to take it with me should we sell the house.

rjfrussell replied to bobbinogs | 7 years ago
1 like

Bobbinogs wrote:

Yepp, another big fan of the Asgards.  I got the 3-4 bike sized one which is great.  I had to construct a platform for it but that only took a couple of hours (some rough hardcore and a few inches of concrete, nothing too technical or heavyweight, just as well given my puny upper body).  

They do dismantle so, as long as one was careful and ensured that all instructions were kept, etc., then i don't see it as too much of a problem.  I bought mine about 10 years ago and it is still in great shape.  I certainly plan to take it with me should we sell the house.

when we moved the removals guys just put the Asgard in the lorry still erected and then filled it with stuff.

thelighterthief | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the useful comments so far. Is there a viable alternative to the asgard or is it a case of everything else being sub-standard? 

I'm renting at the moment but hope to buy this year so will need to move the solution with me. 

ConcordeCX | 7 years ago
1 like

I have one in the back yard. It is excellent and I highly recommend them.

DoctorFish | 7 years ago
1 like

I also have an asgaurd, stood on a patio.  It is great, very solid, relatively easy to put together.  I just wish it was slightly bigger so I could fit another bike in it.  Maybe the answer is more sheds...

BobbyG | 7 years ago
1 like

I have an Asgard but had to have a concrete base built to mount it on (we have loose stone/pebbles all around the house).

As long as you've got a flat surface then a free standing Asgard will be fine (i.e. no need to anchor it).

sergius | 7 years ago
1 like

I've got two of the Asgards now  1 Filled up one with my bikes so needed a second for the kids.  I'm very happy with the Asgards, they do what they claim too very well.

I managed to get the second one discounted as well as they had a sale on over Christmas.

ConcordeCX replied to sergius | 7 years ago
7 likes

sergius wrote:

I've got two of the Asgards now  1 Filled up one with my bikes so needed a second for the kids.  I'm very happy with the Asgards, they do what they claim too very well.

I managed to get the second one discounted as well as they had a sale on over Christmas.

it's probably not legal to keep the kids in one. Besides, they can be unlocked without a key from the inside.

sergius replied to ConcordeCX | 7 years ago
1 like

ConcordeCX wrote:

sergius wrote:

it's probably not legal to keep the kids in one. Besides, they can be unlocked without a key from the inside.

Mine can't, padlocks are on the outside  4

On a more serious note, I did do some looking around before I chose the Asgard - you can certainly pick up "generic metal sheds" for cheaper than an Asgard.  I didn't really find any that were consistently well reviewed, and the lack of height on the bike stores is a bonus for me; my wife would be unhappy if they were both 2m tall.

They are British made, not too expensive and well made (of my two I had zero problems putting them together, everything fit perfectly).

They aren't invulnerable, a friend of mine had a shared Asgard stored outsite behind their block of flats - someone spent 20 minutes with an angle grinder cutting through the shrouds/locks in the middle of the working day and nicked a few bikes.  But thats certainly not a quiet nor quick task; if someone has 20-30 minutes undisturbed and no worry about noise - then I'm not sure anything would really prevent theft.

Latest Comments