Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon fiber frameset construction

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

Duende | 7 years ago
0 likes

A very pair of chainstays (35.6 gms each),

Ad Hynkel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Fascinating post. So do the 2 halves of the chainstays bond together inside the mold in the oven?

Duende replied to Ad Hynkel | 7 years ago
1 like

Ad Hynkel wrote:

Fascinating post. So do the 2 halves of the chainstays bond together inside the mold in the oven?

Yes, indeed. The two halves bond together in the oven. That is why it's very important to make the mold in a very tight tolerance so the two halves meet exactly in the right place, i.e., carbon to carbon. Otherwise, you can throw the molded part away.

Duende | 7 years ago
0 likes

The chainstays have been taken out of the mold.

Duende | 7 years ago
0 likes

The mold is closed on itself after enough carbon fiber has been used for the piece. This is what the chainstays look like after being removed from the oven,

Duende | 7 years ago
0 likes

The mold is made once the design has been finalized. The mold itself is split in 2 halfs which will encapsulate the piece that is being made. The specs need to be very exact since the quality of the piece will depend on how well the two halfs fit. The mold is covered in both halfs with pre-preg carbon fiber, in this case, unidireccional. The photo below shows how the mold have been lined with carbon fiber,

Duende | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hello everyone. Now I would like to show how I make the chainstays and the rear brake bridge using molds. Molds can be made from different materials. In this case, I used aluminium. To make a mold, you will need a mill so an aluminium block can be cut, shaped and polished to the shape of interest, in this case, a pair of chainstays. The shape of the chainstays can be designed using a CAD program as shown in the picture below,

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
2 likes

Maybe road.cc can make this into an article? Not sure I can stomach another saddle bag piece this week smiley

Oh and Duende, when do you think the industry will move to 3D printing frames? Any insight from inside the industry to share?

Duende replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

unconstituted wrote:

Maybe road.cc can make this into an article? Not sure I can stomach another saddle bag piece this week smiley

Oh and Duende, when do you think the industry will move to 3D printing frames? Any insight from inside the industry to share?

3D printing is already being used at the moment. Propotypes are created with 3D printing. There are companies (Bastion cycles) that are making titanium lugs with 3D printers. Molds are also generated with 3D printers. I can see the bike industry embracing this technology with open arms in the not distant future. 

Personally, I'm very interested in the application of 3D printing. I'm about to buy one. Check out these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gFyqFGtqsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oChnml1Twy0

arckuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

Interesting series of posts - thanks for making the effort to show us how it's done! Keep them coming.

adamthekiwi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, ditto!

Duende - could you also please include some information about the equipment you use?

TypeVertigo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Subscribed for interest. Keep it coming, Duende.

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

A very strong and light set of dropouts,

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

The dropouts further along,

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

The carbon sheet is now placed on a CNC cutter and the dropouts are cut,

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

And this is how it looks once cured and all the vacuum bag material discarded,

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

Subsequently, the plate is placed into a vaccum bag and sent to the oven for curing

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

Hello everyone. I'm back. I shall continue with my story. Now I 'll show you how I do the dropouts. The first step is to create a sheet composed of several layers of carbon fiber. Once cured , this plate will be about 3 mm thick, enough to draw some very strong and super light drpouts. The photo shows how the different layers of prepreg carbon are placed on top of an aluminum plate which has been previously polished and coated with release agent.

Stratman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, Luis, interesting

Indeed see you soon!

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

In my next "chapter", I'll show you how I make chain stays, dropouts and the rear brake bridge, all out of molds. See you soon.

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

And this is the 3 main tubes look like once baked and removed from the vacuum bag. As you can see, the surfaces of the tubes are a bit rough. This is due to the type of material used for wrapping the tubes for curing. This is dealt with relatively easily by subsequent sanding but I am in favor of sanding as little as possible because, invariably when sanding, carbon fibers are broken and, in a way, the integrity of the tube is compromised. Now I'm trying molds that will leave an outer surface of the tubes completely smooth. The last step is the removal of the aluminum mandrel from inside the tubes. This is done very easily if you have cleaned the mandrel with release agent before the wrapping of the carbon strips. If you forget this step, then I can assure you that you will never be able to take off the mandrel form the inside of the carbon tubes.

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

The tube is then placed inside a vacuum bag and subsequently cured in an oven. By the way, I almost forgot to say that I only use carbon fiber that has been pre-impregnated with epoxy resin (pre-preg) as it facilitates the handling of the material lot.

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

This is the final result after wrapping all layers,

Duende | 7 years ago
1 like

To begin the construction of a carbon frame, I'll show you how I make the main tubes (down, top and seat tubes). I use a mandrel which is just a solid aluminum cylinder, the diameter required on each tube and wrapped with strips of unidirectional carbon fiber. I use unidirectional carbon so that I can control the direction of maximum tensile strength and compression (that is the direction in which the filaments of the carbon fiber have been arranged). This results in different layers wound on the mandrel with directions ranging from 0 °, + 45 °, -45 ° to 90 °. In this way I make sure that the tube will respond well to forces in tension, compression and torsion (with the fibers at 45 °). In the picture below, you can see how the strip 45 ° is wound onto the mandrel.

Duende | 7 years ago
3 likes

Hello, I build bike frames made out of carbon fiber. I would like to show the process that I follow to design and build such framesets. I'm about to finish a road frame and I will be posting notes on how I'm progressing (including photos). I hope it is informative for you and I hope I can also get help from some of the members of this forum. 

Latest Comments