Home
Verdict: 
Excellent kit for mounting your phone like a dedicated GPS unit
Weight: 
30g

Quadlock describe their phone mounts as "the lightest, strongest and most secure mounting system" available. And they're pretty much right. The Quadlock universal bike kit will stick any phone you your stem with the minimum of fuss, and it's more or less faultless in operation.

Quadlock make some specific cases, for iPhones and Galaxy S4 and S5 models, but the Universal kit will mount pretty much anything, hence the name. There are two parts to the kit: a mounting plate that you stick to your phone, and a bar mount that it clicks into. Not wanting to actually stick the mounting plate to my phone body (Sony Xperia Z1 Compact) I first put it in a skin case with a rigid backplate (which cost about £3 on ebay) and then stuck the mount to that. Bear in mind that Quadlock say it won't adhere very well to a silicone, rubberised or TPU (Thermoplastic Polyeurethane) case. The mount uses a 3M VHB adhesive and it's very tenacious, so make sure you have it located exactly right before you press down.

The other part of the kit, the Bike Mount Pro, attaches to your stem either with O-rings (two sizes are supplied) or with zip ties, if you only have one bike you want to use it with. Zip ties are included too. The curved underside of the mount has a rubber face to stop it slipping. Once you've got that fixed, you're good to go.

Find your nearest dealer here
Buy these online here

The mount is simple enough to use. just offer your phone up to the mount at a 45° angle and press it on to the mount, rotate it round and wait for the click. Once it's securely in place, the phone can be removed by pushing down on the blue collar and twisting it back out again. You can also push down on the collar and change the orientation of the screen from portrait to landscape, depending on what suits you best.

Finding the correct angle is a bit more of a faff than with a Garmin when the quarter turn means you're working with right angles, but it's not exactly taxing. Removing the phone and putting it back when riding is simple enough; I thought pushing the collar down and twisting would be difficult with one hand, but it's not with a bit of practice. That means you can easily remove your phone to take a photo or make a call, something that's not always easy with box-style cases.

Mostly you want your phone to not fall off your bars if you've put it there, and I'm happy to confirm that mine hasn't. Nor do I really have any worries that it will: the Quadlock mount feels just as secure as a Garmin mount and although phones are heavier than dedicated GPS units I've certainly not felt as if it's going to fly off into a hedge. The locking system gives you extra peace of mind too. I was a bit concerned at the outset that the fact the Quadlock is a bit higher off the stem than something like a Garmin mount would make the phone unstable. I needn't have worried though, it's a very solid system. If you want to move it to another bike (assuming you haven't zip-tied it in place) it's a 30-second job.

Clearly, unless you're sticking the mounting plate to a sealed case of some sort, you're relying on the phone to be waterproof if it starts to bucket down. Plenty now are, including my Sony. I've been out in the rain with it stuck to the bars plenty of times, with no ill effects save for the screen being a bit glitchy when it's really wet. If your phone isn't waterproof you can either take it off when it rains, sling a bag over it or use a different kind of case.

I've been using my phone on the bars for a while. I hacked a mount for it from a SRAM Quickview to Quadlock converter, stuck it to the phone case with 3M VHB tape and used an old quarter turn mount I had in the shed. More recently, I've been using the K-Edge XL out-front mount designed for the Garmin Edge 1000. That's still my favourite position for whatever device I'm using, be it dedicated GPS or phone, And I'd like to see Quadlock expand their range into that area. If you're happy with a stem mount, though, and you're happy either sticking stuff to your phone or buying a case to stick stuff to, the Universal Bike Kit is about as good an option as there is.

Verdict

Excellent kit for mounting your phone like a dedicated GPS unit

If you're thinking of buying this product using a cashback deal why not use the road.cc Top Cashback page and get some top cashback while helping to support your favourite independent cycling website

road.cc test report

Make and model: Quad Lock Universal Bike Kit

Size tested: n/a

Tell us what the product is for, and who it's aimed at. What do the manufacturers say about it? How does that compare to your own feelings about it?

The Quad Lock Bike Mount PRO is the lightest and strongest iPhone bike mounting system on the market, compatible with all Quad Lock Cases and the Quad Lock Universal Adaptor for Android and other small devices.

Using our Patented Quad Lock dual action locking mechanism the Bike Mount PRO secures your Quad Lock™ equipped device be it an iPhone, Android or even a GoPro to your MTB, road bike or motorbike

The Bike Mount PRO can be mounted in just seconds using our quick mount o-rings (included) or, for a more permanent fixture, the mount can be secured using zip ties (included). The mount suits tubes sizes from 25 to 40mm

The Quad Lock Universal Adaptor is a super thin adaptor that is compatible with all our mounts, including the Quad Lock Bike Mount PRO and Quad Lock Wall Mounts. This thin adaptor can be used in a number of ways including as an Android bike mount or Android wall mount. It even makes a great GoPro mount.

The Quad Lock Universal mount gives you the freedom to incorporate the Quad Lock Mounting Systems with almost any device with a flat smooth surface.

Rate the product for quality of construction:
 
9/10

Very well made, good tolerances in the mount.

Rate the product for performance:
 
9/10

Extremely well behaved on the bike.

Rate the product for durability:
 
8/10

Not a lot to go wrong here, all working very well still.

Rate the product for weight, if applicable:
 
9/10

Hardly going to slow you down on the hills.

Rate the product for comfort, if applicable:
 
7/10
Rate the product for value:
 
8/10

It's not cheap but it it is a very good system.

Tell us how the product performed overall when used for its designed purpose

Near flawlessly.

Tell us what you particularly liked about the product

Easy to use, easy to swap between bikes, secure, tidy.

Tell us what you particularly disliked about the product

Attaching the phone at 45° is more of a faff than doing it at a right angle.

Did you enjoy using the product? Yes.

Would you consider buying the product? Yes.

Would you recommend the product to a friend? Yes.

Overall rating: 9/10

About the tester

Age: 42  Height: 190cm  Weight: 101kg

I usually ride: whatever I'm testing...  My best bike is: Kinesis Tripster ATR

I've been riding for: Over 20 years  I ride: Every day  I would class myself as: Experienced

I regularly do the following types of riding: road racing, commuting, club rides, sportives, general fitness riding, fixed/singlespeed, mtb, Mountain Bike Bog Snorkelling, track

 

Dave is a founding father of road.cc and responsible for kicking the server when it breaks. In a previous life he was a graphic designer but he's also a three-time Mountain Bike Bog Snorkelling world champion, and remains unbeaten through the bog. Dave rides all sorts of bikes but tends to prefer metal ones. He's getting old is why.

20 comments

Avatar
KiwiMike [1421 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Great review Dave - I have the iPhone 5 kit and 100% agree. I can pick my bike up holding the phone, it's that solid.

The clear Poncho is good for light showers, but in persistent rain water will leak under due to capillary action, so be warned if your phone isn't waterproof. Quadlock recommend the excellent Lifeproof cases along with your reviewed stick-on mount for true waterproofness.

I also love that when you get a new iPhone or major player Android, Quadlock should have a case for it in a month's time for about £18. I keep my phone in the Quadlock case 24/7, it's a very good all-round case and for the iPhone 6 will prevent the camera getting scratched.

Am about to splash out on the running armband for me/the missus to share. And maybe a wall mount for the workshop too. The whole system approach is very cool. Can't recommend this company highly enough.

Avatar
Bi50N [3 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I've had one of these for about a year now - it's a fantastic bit of kit.

The mount feels super secure with the O rings, but is quick and easy to remove if you want to swap between bikes. The wife and I share the bike mount between us, and we each have a case.

The (iPhone 5 specific) case is also very tough and pretty slim despite accommodating the locking system on the back, so I tend to leave it on as my default case.

The rain cover still allows for operation of the touch screen - but agree with the comment above, it's shower proof not waterproof. As I discovered to my cost during ride London  22

Avatar
fukawitribe [2829 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Coincidently I was looking practically the same mount options for the same phone for the last couple of days. Dave, mind if I ask for some details on your hack mount ? I was going to get a SRAM mount adaptor (one of these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview-computer-mount-adaptor/

cut off and file down the male quarter-turn doohicky and glue to a J.Random case like yours. Reason for all that faffing about is that i'd like to re-use the existing SRAM out-front mount I have rather than plonking on another one. Failing that, i'll be picking up one of these fellows - had really good feedback from the company already and reviews seem universally excellent.

Also be interested in what you think to the Z1 Compact ? Seems to tick all the boxes for me - ANT+, waterproof, decent screen. Recommended ? Apologies for OT pondering..

Avatar
dave atkinson [6516 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Coincidently I was looking practically the same mount options for the same phone for the last couple of days. Dave, mind if I ask for some details on your hack mount ? I was going to get a SRAM mount adaptor (one of these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview-computer-mount-adaptor/

cut off and file down the male quarter-turn doohicky and glue to a J.Random case like yours. Reason for all that faffing about is that i'd like to re-use the existing SRAM out-front mount I have rather than plonking on another one. Failing that, i'll be picking up one of these fellows - had really good feedback from the company already and reviews seem universally excellent.

Also be interested in what you think to the Z1 Compact ? Seems to tick all the boxes for me - ANT+, waterproof, decent screen. Recommended ? Apologies for OT pondering..

that hack is exactly what i did. quickview adaptor, dremel it flat, stick it on. I used a VHB pad. works really well with an out front mount.

I really like the Z1. it's properly waterproof. ANT+ capability is a plus in theory but apps are lagging a long way behind the hardware. battery life is the real plus, you can easily have it on the bars for 8hrs recording a ride without even bothering to switch anything off.

Avatar
fukawitribe [2829 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

that hack is exactly what i did. quickview adaptor, dremel it flat, stick it on. I used a VHB pad. works really well with an out front mount.

I really like the Z1. it's properly waterproof. ANT+ capability is a plus in theory but apps are lagging a long way behind the hardware. battery life is the real plus, you can easily have it on the bars for 8hrs recording a ride without even bothering to switch anything off.

Cracking - thanks Dave.

Avatar
MuddyGoose [53 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I have the same system with my Xperia Z2. I stuck the mount adapter to a Celicious Slender case. It affixes perfectly and I've had no problems at all with it. There's a tether point on the Z2 too so if you have concerns about the mount staying stuck on then you could always rig up a thin elastic tether to your stem from the phone/case.

The Z2 battery is great, even tracking, screen on, ant+ etc. I'm using the new Garmin ant+ separate cad/spd sensors, the magnetless ones.

Avatar
parksey [342 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Another happy Quadlock universal user here.

Similarly using the adaptor stuck to to a third-party rigid case for my Xperia Z2, and it's going nowhere. I do personally find there's the tiniest bit of movement of the mount itself on the stem, which presumably comes from just securing with the o-rings, but nothing which causes me any concern.

Just a shame they don't do a bigger range of proprietary cases for those that choose not to "follow the herd"... Still, my universal kit plus the cost of the separate case weighed in a good £15 or so cheaper than their iPhone kits anyway.

Avatar
edwardh [1 post] 4 years ago
0 likes

Used one of these for a months tour in France this summer.... very impressed.

Mapping software and GPS made navigating quick and easy.

I found the watercover to be good in three hours of 'medium' rain.

Avatar
bobinski [304 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

How are users finding the Quad lock? I have an Iphone 6plus coming through work and so am looking to replace my Garmin 800 and protect it with a suitable case. My ageing eyes can no longer cope with the garmins' screen and font. The Quad lock looks great though i wish it was available in black and a little less obvious. I will likely buy the quad lock case too and waterproof cover. Anyone else used them?

cheers
Bobinski

Avatar
KiwiMike [1421 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
bobinski wrote:

How are users finding the Quad lock? I have an Iphone 6plus coming through work and so am looking to replace my Garmin 800 and protect it with a suitable case. My ageing eyes can no longer cope with the garmins' screen and font. The Quad lock looks great though i wish it was available in black and a little less obvious. I will likely buy the quad lock case too and waterproof cover. Anyone else used them?

cheers
Bobinski

Black Magic Marker. Sorted  3

Quadlocks are genius. The standard cases are fine for day-to-day and light rain, go for a Lifeproof case + universal stick-on mount for heavy rain.

Avatar
bobinski [304 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Got mine!

its great-holds my 6plus just fine. waiting for the poncho to arrive back into stock so a little wary about taking it out where there is a risk of rain for now.

All i need is a holder to hold it out further, like a garmin mount.

Avatar
bobinski [304 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Coincidently I was looking practically the same mount options for the same phone for the last couple of days. Dave, mind if I ask for some details on your hack mount ? I was going to get a SRAM mount adaptor (one of these...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickview-computer-mount-adaptor/

cut off and file down the male quarter-turn doohicky and glue to a J.Random case like yours. Reason for all that faffing about is that i'd like to re-use the existing SRAM out-front mount I have rather than plonking on another one. Failing that, i'll be picking up one of these fellows - had really good feedback from the company already and reviews seem universally excellent.

Also be interested in what you think to the Z1 Compact ? Seems to tick all the boxes for me - ANT+, waterproof, decent screen. Recommended ? Apologies for OT pondering..

Hi Guys,
any chance of some pics to show how you attached to the Sram quickview? I want to give it a go with the quadlock iphone 6+ case.
ta
Bob

that hack is exactly what i did. quickview adaptor, dremel it flat, stick it on. I used a VHB pad. works really well with an out front mount.

I really like the Z1. it's properly waterproof. ANT+ capability is a plus in theory but apps are lagging a long way behind the hardware. battery life is the real plus, you can easily have it on the bars for 8hrs recording a ride without even bothering to switch anything off.

Avatar
john latimer [9 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Quadlock is good thing you have to watch though is adhesive totally gives up when cold.Out cycling few weeks ago -3 Celsius phone straight onto ground adhesive strip zero sstick.Luckily phone survived got home strip warmed up stuck back on strong as ever very good as long as not too cold

Avatar
john latimer [9 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Quadlock is good thing you have to watch though is adhesive totally gives up when cold.Out cycling few weeks ago -3 Celsius phone straight onto ground adhesive strip zero sstick.Luckily phone survived got home strip warmed up stuck back on strong as ever very good as long as not too cold

Avatar
KiwiMike [1421 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
john latimer wrote:

Quadlock is good thing you have to watch though is adhesive totally gives up when cold.Out cycling few weeks ago -3 Celsius phone straight onto ground adhesive strip zero sstick.Luckily phone survived got home strip warmed up stuck back on strong as ever very good as long as not too cold

I asked Quadlock about this, they replied: "The 3M tape is rated to -35° C so it should not have come off. What material was it stuck to?"

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf

3M are certainly a reputable company, as are Quadlock. If there was an endemic problem with low temperature adhesion of (typically) £500 handsets you'd think it would be a major issue, but your experience is the first I've heard of it in reading a lot of reviews.

Avatar
randonneur [33 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Hello,
I have been trying various options to use the phone instead of a Garmin. I have found that the Apps available do more than Garmin products. The phone has smart bluetooth so HRM, cadence and powermeter functions are all there. I used the HR function as well as route navigation.
One problem was mounting on the handlebars and having seen the Garmin twist on/off mount this is the same idea and very convenient.
So I have been using a Motorola MotoG in all weathers for a year.
The touch screen is unpredictable in heavy rain as the rain can affect it but other than that the phone has survived.
The sticky pad didn't work so I used superglue and that has kept together. I was a bit worried about this failing so I used a lanyard from the case to handlebars as a safety line.
However I no longer use this because the adhesion has worked throughout.

I highly rate this product.

Avatar
KiwiMike [1421 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Picked up this Uncommon Design Safety Case for £40. It's rated the same as the Lifeproof but no charging capability - which is an acceptable tradeoff for being *much* easier to get phone in/out of - the Lifeproof is a proper faff by the look.

Anyway, works really well on the bike and will be used at the beach/hiking etc etc.

Avatar
solospeeding [6 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Hi randonneur.
I also have a Moto G (2nd gen 4G version) and wondered if you used an additional case ? I too would be inclined to super glue it as the phone has a curved back. Luckily I have a spare removable back cover so would adhere the mount to that.

Elaine

Avatar
Aezreth [36 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Why is the blue part of the mount so tall? I'd much prefer it if it didn't stick out that much from the stem.

Avatar
MattPittman [1 post] 3 years ago
0 likes
KiwiMike wrote:
john latimer wrote:

Quadlock is good thing you have to watch though is adhesive totally gives up when cold.Out cycling few weeks ago -3 Celsius phone straight onto ground adhesive strip zero sstick.Luckily phone survived got home strip warmed up stuck back on strong as ever very good as long as not too cold

I asked Quadlock about this, they replied: "The 3M tape is rated to -35° C so it should not have come off. What material was it stuck to?" http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/67100O/3mtm-vhb-tapes.pdf 3M are certainly a reputable company, as are Quadlock. If there was an endemic problem with low temperature adhesion of (typically) £500 handsets you'd think it would be a major issue, but your experience is the first I've heard of it in reading a lot of reviews.

A fair time has past on this but there is something to this.  There have been a number of customer reviews saying the adaptor attached to the phone has come unstuck, especially on Galaxy 6S.  This is what happened to me and I tested the adhesive in transition temperatures from warm to below freezing and it does seem like it isn't as sticky at lower temps.  Certainly, plenty of S6 users have had the adaptor pop off.  I'm not saying this is proof but I did clean the phone surface with a screen wipe before sticking it on and it did seem secure enough.  A mile down the road it just dropped off.