Like this site? Help us to make it better.


Australian teens hospitalised with burns after 'jump through fire' bike stunt goes wrong (+ video)

Pair were taking part in 55th anniversary show of Findon Skid Kids near Adelaide

Two teenage boys in Australia have been treated in hospital for second-degree burns after a ‘jump through fire’ stunt they performed near Adelaide went wrong at the weekend.

Trent Forester and Shane Bentley, both aged 15, were taking part in the 55th birthday celebrations of Findon Skid Kids, which is part of Findon Cycle Speedway Club.

Neither had previously attempted the stunt, which saw them ride through a wall of cardboard that had been set on fire and was supposed to have been cut in such a way that it broke on impact.

The flames were stamped out with blankets by attendants, and the pair were treated by St John Ambulance paramedics at the scene before being taken to hospital.

Some reports say that a teenage girl who took part in the stunt also received burns, although she does not appeatr to have been taken to hospital.

"Heading into it was fine, I was feeling good,” Shane told ABC News.

“I didn't think it was going to be that bad. It was just when I got through on the other side and I collected the cardboard was when it was getting hot.

"We went a little bit early, so the cardboard didn't burn properly and there's supposed to be a slit down the middle of the cardboard so it just opens, but that didn't happen so I just took the cardboard with me and that's what burned me," he added.

Neither Trent nor Shane plan to attempt the stunt again.

The teens were both wearing basic protective clothing, and Findon Skid Kids president Mick Harley said that the problem was that the stunt had not been set up correctly.

"We've been doing the fire jump for 55 years and every so often, somebody might get some burns," he told Adelaide Now.

"The cardboard is normally in two sheets joined at the middle so it breaks when they hit it. They used cardboard that was a full sheet so it wasn't cut.

"On this particular occasion they took the cardboard with them and that's how they got burnt.

"They are pretty well protected. It's just in this instance they took the fire with them and the heat has got to them.

"We will be doing it [the fire jump] again in the future," he insisted.

"What we will be doing in the future is making sure (the cardboard) has the split down the centre and making sure it's done correctly."

Simon joined as news editor in 2009 and is now the site’s community editor, acting as a link between the team producing the content and our readers. A law and languages graduate, published translator and former retail analyst, he has reported on issues as diverse as cycling-related court cases, anti-doping investigations, the latest developments in the bike industry and the sport’s biggest races. Now back in London full-time after 15 years living in Oxford and Cambridge, he loves cycling along the Thames but misses having his former riding buddy, Elodie the miniature schnauzer, in the basket in front of him.

Latest Comments