Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Community order for careless driver who drove on to make a delivery following fatal collision

Courier made "cursory" search of carriageway after collision launched cyclist almost 50 metres...

A courier involved in a fatal collision that threw a cyclist almost 50 metres has been handed a 12-month community order and an 18-month driving ban after admitting causing death by careless driving.

The Bournemouth Echo reports that Christopher Gibbs, 30, was riding home from work on an "arrow-straight" stretch of the A338 Spur Road near Bournemouth at around 10.15pm on October 3, 2017, when he was hit from behind by a Mercedes Citan van driven by Kevin Johnson.

Evidence was heard from several motorists who passed Gibbs before the collision. Some said the light on the back of the bike had appeared "faint" while others said the victim was "easily" visible from as far away as 200 yards.

Gibbs hit the bonnet and windscreen of Johnson’s van and was thrown 47.5 metres.

Johnson pulled over and made a "cursory" search of the carriageway before continuing to the Applewood Hotel to drop off a suitcase.

Prosecutors alleged dangerous driving for continuing with a shattered windscreen. The charge was ordered to lie on file.

Johnson did not enter pleas to failing to stop after a road accident or failing to report an accident. Both charges were not proceeded with by the prosecution.

After the collision, a passing motorist and lorry driver stopped to give CPR to Gibbs at the scene before paramedics arrived. However, the court heard he had died instantly as a result of "overwhelming head injuries".

After arriving at the hotel, Johnson wiped blood from the van with a tissue and took photographs of the damage. He told mechanics who came to collect the vehicle that he believed he could have hit a deer and may have "blacked out for a second".

Travelling back along the A338 Spur Road, he saw emergency services workers and searched the web for information on road closures.

A police officer spotted the van on the back of a recovery truck and reported it as a possible suspect vehicle for the collision. Attempts were made to track down the driver.

At 6.20am the next day, Johnson searched 'contact police', but did not make a call. Three minutes later, officers arrived at his address and arrested him.

Ian Bridge, mitigating, said Johnson was "desperately sorry" for his "momentary inattention" to the road ahead.

Johnson was sentenced to 240 hours of unpaid work and ordered to pay £250 in prosecution costs. He was disqualified from driving for 18 months.

Alex has written for more cricket publications than the rest of the team combined. Despite the apparent evidence of this picture, he doesn't especially like cake.

Latest Comments