A cyclist kicked off his bike by a another rider on a busy London street has expressed his disappointment that his assailant only received a caution.
Raphael Carrondo was attacked as he rode along London's Victoria Embankment on August 6. He only sustained cuts and bruises, but could easily have ended up under a coach.
He posted his bike cam video of the attack on YouTube:
After he complained to the Evening Standard that police did not seem to be taking the case seriously, the Met tracked down the other rider.
He told the Standard's Rachel Blundy: "Shortly after the story went out and the YouTube clip went viral the police started investigating. They found the person. A member of the public came forward and said they recognised the rider. They asked him to come in for an interview and he was cautioned afterwards.
"I was expecting a little bit more than a caution but if that is what the police think should be done then that is ok. I was hoping he might have to do some community work."
The 32-year-old sales and marketing consultant, originally from Brazil, previously said he had posted the video when police told him they could not afford the resources to track down the BMXer if he didn't know who he was.
He said: "The next day I say, 'If the police can't do anything, I can.' This is something that probably happens every day, that kid probably did something to someone else. With social media as it is today we can find someone doing the wrong thing."
Carrondo was shocked at the level of abuse he was subjected to after posting the video.
He said: "What I wasn't expecting was that when I put it online, that the wrong became me. Everybody was trying to justify why the kid would react like this."
Despite the online abuse and the incident itself, Carrondo has carried on riding.
He said: "I never stopped - I have kept cycling. I had to because it is how I commute to work."
The Metropolitan Police said they had contacted Mr Carrondo after watching footage of the attack.
A spokesman said: "In late October, when officers from the Roads and Transport Policing Command's Cycle Task Force became aware of the footage of the incident on 6 August, they contacted the victim and launched an investigation.
"On 11 November a 19-year-old man was arrested at his home address in south London, in connection with the investigation. He was later bailed pending further enquiries.
"On 24 November the 19-year-old man accepted a caution for common assault."
John has been writing about bikes and cycling for over 30 years since discovering that people were mug enough to pay him for it rather than expecting him to do an honest day's work.
He was heavily involved in the mountain bike boom of the late 1980s as a racer, team manager and race promoter, and that led to writing for Mountain Biking UK magazine shortly after its inception. He got the gig by phoning up the editor and telling him the magazine was rubbish and he could do better. Rather than telling him to get lost, MBUK editor Tym Manley called John’s bluff and the rest is history.
Since then he has worked on MTB Pro magazine and was editor of Maximum Mountain Bike and Australian Mountain Bike magazines, before switching to the web in 2000 to work for CyclingNews.com. Along with road.cc founder Tony Farrelly, John was on the launch team for BikeRadar.com and subsequently became editor in chief of Future Publishing’s group of cycling magazines and websites, including Cycling Plus, MBUK, What Mountain Bike and Procycling.
John has also written for Cyclist magazine, edited the BikeMagic website and was founding editor of TotalWomensCycling.com before handing over to someone far more representative of the site's main audience.
He joined road.cc in 2013. He lives in Cambridge where the lack of hills is more than made up for by the headwinds.