Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt vs Garmin Edge 520 plus

I recently went for a ride with a friend for the first time since lockdown began (respecting social distancing requirements, of course). He very kindly provided a route using his Wahoo Elemnt, which turned out to be a fantastic one that took in many great, quite roads that I had never come across before - despite many of them being on my usual training route around Calderdale.

It made me realise the value of having a dedicated GPS cycling computer for mapping/navigation. Having done some research, I have narrowed my choices down to the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt or the Garmin Edge 520 plus. I just wondered if anyone had experience with either of these systems? And if there are any pros/cons to be aware of?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

EddyBerckx | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a number of issues with garmin that I didn't like (their software was/is? terrible) and a 2 year old garmin 1000 turned into a brick which was he final straw so i switched to a bolt and not looked back.

The latest Garmins are meant to be good...I say as the whole garmin ecosystem has been junked due to a ransomware attack....

Olabel | 3 years ago
1 like

I had a garmin, swapped it for a Bolt, as I hated the garmins software - getting it to interact with a PC was always a gamble.

The Bolt interface via a mobile phone is great, it just works! Updates itself without drama. 

I get turn by turn nav via ride with gps - plot a route, and a painless process to get it on the Bolt. 

Wahoo every time for me

Check DC Rainmakers reviews, they give a great overview of the various pros and cons

Jetmans Dad | 3 years ago
1 like

Bolt v 520+ was exactly the choice I was faced with about 18 months ago, and what swung it in the end was the fact that while both were roughly the same headline price, I could get the 520+ at Halfords round the corner with 10% discount for being a BC member (and having had zero issues with my Edge 200 and 500 before it had no qualms about another Garmin device). 

I have found the 520+ excellent ... easy to connect all the sensors, good clear screen, more than sufficient battery life for my usage, even when navigating, and excellent navigation. 

The only issue I have had is that the BT connection with my phone has always been unreliable, but given that it always worked flawlessly with my (now deceased) iPad, I am thinking that is probably an Android rather than Garmin thing. 

HarryTrauts | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've owned an Edge 510 & 520.  I bought the 510 secondhand and it had been well used.  As a result, the battery life was never very good so I upgraded to the 520.  It works well and I've never had a problem with it.  I've had it for about three years.  

I use Ride With GPS to plan routes and that works well.  It is connected to Strava and Komoot with no problems.  My close up vision is gradually decreasing and the display is still plenty big enough for me (obviously, this means nothing to anyone else but I have to read books at arms length without glasses)

In the end, it will come down to a coin toss, experience of what a friend has got or, as someone else has said, what offers are around.

Westy | 3 years ago
3 likes

Since 2014 I've gone Edge 810 to Element to Edge 520 to Bolt to Edge 530. In my opinion, the Edge 530 is the best I've used, and actually the 520plus spec is not too far short of the 530 - but I'd still try to find the extra 10% for the 530 if possible.

To be fair, I found the Element a breath of fresh air when it was released, and as a result many observers think that it has pushed Garmin to step up a level (eg https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/garmin-edge-1030-plus-review/) and I agree. The screen on the Garmins is now clearer and makes better use of colour, the maps are hugely better, and though I only use a route trail for navigation even that is better - and you'll find plenty of reviews finding that navigation on the Garmins is better than the Wahoos).

I found the Bolt a great design, but the screen is a dimmer blue-ish colour and the LEDs are pretty much invisible in any decent daylight (the original Elemnt LEDs were far better). 

Away from navigation, there are big advantages to the 520plus or 530 against the Bolt - or even the Roam actually. For example, the field layout is more customisable, the backlight can be set to your own taste, the autopause speed can be set to your own choice, laps can be automatically be triggered by gps location, you can have activity profiles for different bikes/activities, Di2 support is way better (if you have Di2 this alone is enough to make a decision), and Varia Radar support is way better (especially against the Bolt which doesn't have a colour screen or very visible LEDs). And on Garmins you have Connect IQ fields available (which for example can give you coloured zone fields much better than the Wahoo LEDs). 

On one point, Wahoo is still better. Setup is easier with the Wahoo Companion app than using the 520plus or 530 buttons (but thats not true for the touch screen Garmins, see my link above).

Thats just my experience and opinion of course, when it comes down to it you can just read what we all say and make a choice. To be honest, the Bolt and 520plus are both good units, and Wahoo and Garmin both have good apps to go with them. In a way, you can't lose  1

mtb_roadtripper | 3 years ago
0 likes

Had a Garmin 520 and it was good until the charging port broke. 

Now on a Bolt and i'd say over all its better. Got the cadence, speed and HR sensors. Its all very clean and user friendly through the app. 

The route guidance ive used once through Strava so didnt have turn by turn but it was good enough for what I needed it for. 

The battery is great so far. Ive done 9-10 hr rides and its still had a good amount of juice. 

Problem i've had is Live Tracking, its very hit or miss for anyone watching the link. Lots of info through the link like HR and speed etc but itll cut out and never return or show you stopped for ages when you arent. Its essentially, aside from a few cases in which its worked flawlessly, useless for what it is intend for. 

HeadDown | 3 years ago
1 like

I've got a Bolt and love it. On the navigation, the Bolt will do a breadcrumb route on a perfectly sufficient map (zooming in and out for level of detail), and whether it has turn-by-turn depends on what you plotted your route on - if RidewithGPS or Komoot (the route planners are available free of charge, the former on web not app) then it includes turn-by-turn also (but not Strava, I understand).  You can set the Bolt to alert you with sounds and/or lights for upcoming turns. I've not had a Garmin, but don't miss any  functionality and hear so many bad experiences of their devices. 
I did 2:52 hr yesterday and the battery went from 100% to 82% (one HRM paired).  
If you are relying on the cycle computer on the road to plot routes, to discover backroads, I'm not sure how good that'd be. What I do is get a rough idea of an area from a 5 minute study of cyclestreets.net (which is the Sustrans network overlaid) and then get into it. The Bolt has a "take me here" via the paired smartphone, to get you out of trouble. 
Enjoy!

SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Bolt having previously always had Garmins and do prefer it - everything just seems cleaner in terms of UI and the app integration is good

one thing to note is the bolt doesn't have navigation as such - it won't tell you to go left or right, you just have to keep an eye on the map. 

ive been intrigued by the Hammerhead Karoo but you don't seen many people selling it in the UK, not sure if it's even properly finished

mtbtomo replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

Simon, i would say it does have navigation.... There is a breadcrumb trail that can be followed if you either upload a route or do the "take me to" option and it bleeps/flashes at you to alert you if you go wrong or away from the planned route. I've got a vague recollection of it alerting you to turn instructions with a distance to the turn also but I could be wrong.

mtbtomo replied to SimonAY | 3 years ago
0 likes

Just checked and there is an option in the app for "Turn by turn directions"

SimonAY replied to mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, will have a look for that

beatlumber | 3 years ago
1 like

I was in the same situation a few months ago and went for a bolt, partly because of an offer at the time. It's a great bit of kit though, nav works well and battery life is as advertised. The app is easy to use, link your strava/komoot/etc account and any route you create automatically shows in the Elemnt app and uploads to the bolt with a tap, easy. The screen customisation options are also pretty cool.

Only con so far is loss of signal under tree canopies, can't make a comparison ot the Garmin on that though, and it picks it up again soon enough.

JaredP91 replied to beatlumber | 3 years ago
0 likes

Would you say the navigation is sufficient to explore new areas? Unfortunately my navigational skills are about as good as a blind sailor and I always end up on busy roads. Looking for something that can guide me off the beat and track onto some nice country lanes and quiet roads.

mtbtomo replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a Bolt and it makes navigation of new areas pretty easy. However, it has however on a few occasions tried to divert me down private driveways/access roads, footpaths across fields and other routes that are either private or unrideable on a road bike. The monochrome map it shows however is generally good enough to find your way round such anomalies. It also has a "take me to" function, so you can put in a destination and it will plot you a route. Much like a car sat nav I suppose. Again, it's a little bit flakey, doesn't always have the postcode or destination you're looking for, but it's usually good enough.

mtbtomo replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
1 like

I don't think it has the functionality to actually show you the quieter roads, or the back routes, but if you find them yourself you'll be able to see from the map where you are in relation to the main roads etc

Spangly Shiny replied to JaredP91 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Another option is to use Strava to create your route and export that route as a .gpx file. Then import that .gpx file into Komoot which will then convert it. This gives you the advantage of Strava's heatmaps for creating the route and Komoot's functionality to give you the turn by turn instructions.

CommanderBrot replied to Spangly Shiny | 3 years ago
0 likes

I had a Garmin Edge 1000 with full-fledged navigation. Basically, this did work quite well, but it fell short on keeping me on nice backroads (at least here in germany). If set to 'roadbike' it directed me most of the time on busier public roads - which is not really the devices fault but that of the map material. It just doesn't know which roads are the nice ones.
It brought me where I needed to be, but if I wanted a enjoyable tour I still had to plan it ahead.

As livetracking was broken long periods of time in the summer in two consecutive years (and my wife insists on a working livetrack) I sold the Edge and bought an Elemnt Bolt.
Have only used it on one longer tour so far (86km):
I planned the route using strava and had it sent to the bolt. There you have the route neatly on a small but good visible map including turn-by-turn, audio alerts and breadcrumb tracking points. If I deviated from the route and returned to it at a later position it kept on navigating in the right direction. Also, Strava managed to keep me on good, quiet backroads (they use their heatmap-data for selecting pfererable roads).
So far I'm content with the Bolt. I don't miss the touchscreen or the colour Display and prefer the smaller bulk of the device.

Latest Comments