Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Update: Cycling won’t be banned from Bournemouth prom

[Council] leader, councillor Vikki Slade, said cyclists were being given “one more weekend” to “behave fairly and responsibly” when using the promenade otherwise they will no longer be able to use it.

The comments mention a 10 mph speed limit, but can’t see if referenced here:
https://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/AttractionsLeisure/BeachesandWaterfront/C...

Everyone off the leash today?
I wonder how this one is going to go. Let’s hope the Council also continue behaving fairly and responsibly. It feels like too easy a move for them to make to institute a day time ban.

Cycling is allowed September to June, and banned between 10 and 6 July and August.

If for example you’re coming back, from Sandbanks ferry the Poole section is really useful as there isn’t a very good road alternative - it’s easier east of the pier.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
2 likes

Well if the photo on the report is anything to go by it looks pretty unsuitable for cycling, in the summer months I imagine dogs, kids with ice creams and no spatial awareness, families walking as a group, people in wheelchairs etc.

A few people on bikes is one thing but it is not the place for training rides if that is what has happened.

hawkinspeter replied to OnTheRopes | 3 years ago
3 likes

OnTheRopes wrote:

Well if the photo on the report is anything to go by it looks pretty unsuitable for cycling, in the summer months I imagine dogs, kids with ice creams and no spatial awareness, families walking as a group, people in wheelchairs etc.

A few people on bikes is one thing but it is not the place for training rides if that is what has happened.

What you've got to be really careful of is when there's dogs with ice creams being chased by kids.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

OnTheRopes wrote:

What you've got to be really careful of is when there's dogs with ice creams being chased by kids or squirrels.

FTFY yes

(it's a running joke in my family, about the time I got bitten by a grey squirrel on Brandon Hill in Bristol, offering one a digestive biscuit).

Hirsute | 3 years ago
1 like

Just illustrates why lots of cyclists don't use shared paths.

David - are you the one with the video of you passing several hundred cars in the area but somehow you were blamed for 'holding everyone up ' ?!

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

I must have missed that!

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

Reckon it is David rides

Gary's bike channel replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

yep that was me, sorry didnt see this until now.  I didnt say what the echo put, they edited it to make me look like a twat i felt.

I said it was stupid to have people all trying to drive into whats basically a 5 minute walk just to try to park in somewhere where there was no parking, so why not have a park and ride instead? then showed me riding past the queue to show that it was ridiculously close to complain about being stuck in traffic. I never said BAN cars within two miles, i said put the park and rides scheme within that distance of the beach. I never said i was going 12 mph without any effort, i said i was riding at 12 miles per hour without getting sweaty so i would be fine riding to the beach on my bike and wouldnt drive down there, even though i live in ringwood, id cruise it at a slower pace. The editor doesnt seem to like cyclists. https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15504214.watch-cyclist-captures-c...

Gary's bike channel replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

if youd like a slightly updated version of me holding up traffic in the area, i posted this back as a reply to a gammon commenter on the echo, he said'' why dont cyclists use the shared path alongside the airport instead of slowing the cars down''.      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_QrtnpWYoI

the path actually does look ok in parts, i rode past it today on motorbike, but its too narrow in sections, still makes you slow right down to try and cross over with no priority, could be useable going slowly but not worth it on a road bike. 

Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

If it is a promenade with mixed pedestrians and cyclists then 10mph sounds like plenty, too much even. There's going to be meandering grannies and distracted 5yr olds and they should not have to be forever scanning 360 to check they don't veer into a bike's path. The clue is in the name, promenade.

Latest Comments