Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spacers for 11 speed cassette

I recently upgraded the stock PR2 wheels on my Giant TCR advanced. fulcrum racing db 4s.  At the same time I fitted a new 11 speed cassete. 

I took my bike to my local repair shop to get my front shifter looked at and the mechanic noted that I had a spacer missing on the cassette which needed to be fitted.  It was my understanding that 11 speed cassettes did not require a spacer when fitted to the latest hubs and that they are only required for 10/9 speed cassettes, so was suprised by this, however this may explain the rattling noises I hear when riding over rougher road surfaces.

Are fulcrum and some other manufacturers hubs an exception to this rule of thumb?

Any explinations would be welcome 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

stuartcoupe | 3 years ago
0 likes

I have some racing DBs and they need a spacer for an 11 speed shimano casette! The cassette rattled and it was obvious something was wrong before I even got it on the bike.

AJW80 | 3 years ago
0 likes

According to the mechanic this hub required a spacer, most probably because they are now built with 12 speed cassettes in mind as well.  Anyhow, the rattling has now stopped and I can enjoy a quieter ride.

fukawitribe replied to AJW80 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Quick one, what was the cassette ?

AJW80 replied to fukawitribe | 3 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe replied to AJW80 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Cheers - if it's really one of those and not the non-series 11-34 then would still expect no spacer required due to the free-hub. Weird.

mtbtomo | 3 years ago
0 likes

Assuming Shimano 11 speed and an 11speed freehub then no spacer needed.

If the cassette is loose or causing a rattle, then you would be able to wobble the cogs side to side slightly when stationary. Also, your gear shifting would likely be inconsistent like others have said, with mis-shifts and skipping between cogs. Is your chain too long causing too much chain slap? Or something else is loose. It's not a cassette needing a spacer behind it, that's for sure

Dingaling | 3 years ago
1 like

I spec'd a gravel bike last year with SRAM red 11 speed. After using it for a few weeks I took the cassette off to clean it and found that the bike builder had put a 1mm spacer behind the cassette. I have know idea how he forced the lockring on because I couldn't get the thread started. Consequently, I checked SRAM's technical specs and they clearly state that a spacer is not required.

The overall picture though is more complicated eg. road, mtb, 7,8,9,10,11,12 speed! I used SRAM's "Cassette and Driver Body Compatibility" doc/table.

My Campag 9 and 11 speed cassettes fitted on the same hub without a spacer.

My 9 speed Shimano cassettes (mtb) don't have spacers and nor does my daughter's 11 speed Ultegra cassette on a Giant PR2 wheel.

fukawitribe | 3 years ago
1 like

Generally 11-speed road cassette wouldn't need a spacer, as you say. Some of the wider range 11-speed cassettes do however, e.g. Shimano HG-800 11-34 (listed on the box as road and MTB cassettes in that case) and conversely will fit an old 10-speed freehub - so it depends.

bobbinogs | 3 years ago
0 likes

My 10 Bob's worth is that you are correct in that there is no missing spacer. 11 speed hubs don't need a spacer for 11 speed but do need a spacer for 9/10. I have 9, 10 & 11 speed setups and this rule of thumb works on all of them. 12 speed uses the same width as 11, just smaller gaps and a narrower chain.
A missing spacer would leave a cassette with minor wobble resulting in mis-shifts and running noise, not really just rattling over rough ground. I would check the wheel and see if there is excessive movement across the axle, if not then your rattle lies elsewhere.

Latest Comments