Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pannier rack for folding bike

Can anyone recommend a pannier rack and bags for a Halfords folding bike with 20" wheels?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

wtjs | 5 months ago
2 likes

What you need is a Carradice Camper Longflap or Odyssey XL onto the SQR seatpost quick release- with the large bands which fit round the oversized seat pillar. Works on an old style Birdy and the Halfords Intercity folder

Creakingcrank | 5 months ago
1 like

Can you provide a link to the model?

In general, rear panniers on folding bikes can be tricky, because the short chainstays mean a risk of  interference with your heels while pedalling. And the rack needs to be high to keep big panniers out of the way, which inceases the size of the folding package (or even prevents folding altogether on some bike designs). Often it's easier to carry luggage at the front, or in a rack-top bag. I had a quick look at the Halfords website and a lot of their bikes have a mounting point for a front luggage block, which would take a quick release bag of some kind.

I have a non-folding 20 inch wheel bike and the best pannier solution I've  found is this front wheel rack from Tern, which holds two small panniers quite nicely 

jaysa replied to Creakingcrank | 5 months ago
1 like

and you could have a look at Tern's rear cargo rack which is solidly made and pretty adjustable.

On my Tern folder with 20" wheels, it just about manages to keep full panniers clear of my size 8 heels.

Latest Comments