Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

nigel farage has gone mad.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8924869/NIGEL-FARAGE-Stop-pious...

im angry now. 

I paid 66 quid for my kawasaki, 90 odd for the suzuki, 150 for my corsa and 255 for the truck , in VED. Thats more than most people pay! Why does this stupid road tax myth keep coming back???? no emissions, no VED, very simple?

No, hoardes of cyclists racing eachother or out for a ride in country lanes are riding the most sensible way- if a car cannot fit past then it must wait behind until a wider point- no space to overtake cyclists single file, the car must wait behind.  It would be exactly the same if the car followed a tractor, it wouldnt try to squeeze past would it?

The cyclists in town are moving around very effectively and quickly, thats why they catch up to his car at red lights. If they drove cars, the queue would increase further.

It isnt bloody hard to understand how to pass cyclists, or hard to grasp why so many people have taken to it. We're in a new era of bicycles now, light weight, super aero, allowing people to get from place to place without using a bus or a car. Thats only a good thing.  Its not as though there are still thousands of cars blocking the way for lorries, truck drivers and bus drivers every day across the country is it? You never see a long line of stationary cars with single occupants dawdling on a 60 mph limit road do you? You never see hundreds of cars stuck in a car park because the vehicles dont posess the ability to manouvere in tight spaces, meaning they get stuck? Bikes dont have that problem. Bikes are superbly agile, maintain an average speed regardless of traffic. It isnt US on bicycles that cause a problem to anyone, its people who cannot operate cars properly or think logically that are the problem. If we suddenly took nigel, into a garage and made him strip down a car engine, would he have the faintest clue what to set the valve clearances to? Where top dead centre was? Would he be able to put the piston rings on and set the timing so the interference  type engine didn't smash a valve when its restarted? Could he change the crank bearings? Could he do anything remotely mechanical at all? No, and nor could most people who have this utter hatred and disregard for bicycles. If we take away their engine, they won't move and then they can't have a problem with us, because without an engine, they are the slowest road users.  I think Nigel, you'll find bike lanes were put in to stop traffic congestion becoming worse, which would have worked if you left them in place and allowed the car drivers to slowly make their way onto a bicycle for that journey. It could take a few months, but gradually, it would happen. The traffic in london especially is not there because of bicycle lanes, it is being EASED by bike lanes. You just dont see it atm because time hasnt taken effect yet. If you put in coned off bike lanes that connected places to other places and kept riders safe, whilst still allowing cyclists to go a good pace, of course the jams would ease up. Thats the whole bloody point. The jams happen because to many cars, which have no way of out manouvering other cars, have been pushed into a road space and now cannot go very fast because they are hindered and stuck behind other cars. If they are hindered and stuck, that is the problem of the car as a design- not the fault of a bike lane running alongside it! Motorbikes dont get stuck in these jams car drivers complain of, and bicycles never do- i wonder why? Perhaps its because vehicles with two wheels are extremely agile and have the ability to get around other vehicles easily, whereas cars will never gain this power, due to the fact they are too wide and have too many wheels. You cant swing a car in through small gaps like a bike can, you cant turn it in one smal space or on the spot like a bike can. Thats why cars end up having to just line up one behind the other, whereas bikes can nip in and dart around it. Ie nigel, it isnt bikes that are the problem, its your lack of ability to THINK things through logically. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Simon E | 3 years ago
1 like

Carlton Reid dissecting the latest Farage bile:

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1325379224639860736

BTW if you link to the Hate Mail that merely increases their ad revenue and search engine ranking.  2

HoarseMann | 3 years ago
0 likes

I do wonder what portion of the Kent lorry parks' costs are covered by Nigel's VED contribution?

Maybe he's setting the scene to blame the predicted post-brexit traffic chaos at the ports, on a bike lane somewhere in Dover.

Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

Have you thought about writing in paragraphs gary rather than a wall of text ? It's a lot more inducive to the reader.

Mungecrundle | 3 years ago
2 likes

Having read some of that I actually find that I have a tiny bit of empathy with Nigel. If the bad taste on my tongue is anything like his after being down the back of 1 term loser ex President Trump's trousers then I actually feel a little sorry for the duck faced tosser.

Awavey | 3 years ago
2 likes

it was just one of the 3 pieces in the Mail on Sunday today, that were...shall we say less than positive...about cycling, there was Niges opinion piece, a piece on ending the LTNs/cycle lanes "madness" and the new highway code "pins blame on drivers" which weirdly makes it sound like presumed liability changes are coming, but I doubt they actually meant that.

theres an element as always in newspapers in appealing to its readers base,but that does seem a collection to print in one go

David9694 | 3 years ago
4 likes

if there's a wrong call to be made, you can rely on Nigel to make it. There, there, Nigel, it's time for you lie down.

"The time has come for cyclists to be licensed [bollocks] – and to be forced to obey the Highway Code like the rest of us." But amen to that - how about you go first?

Gary's bike channel replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

i didnt expect this from him, its upsetting honestly, how come if i went to the DM and said right run a story about muslims, they get in my way and they own too many shops and if you dare ask them to move out your way theyll kick the shit out of you. The editor wouldnt touch it!  Such hypocrisy. Just makes the more idiotic drivers yet more so inclined to try to educate US on THEIR roads because they paid for it. There should be some sort of law stating you can't publish stories like that unless it's true.     If we really were riding around town and crashing into pedestrians on purpose then riding off yelling out WE ARE UNTOUCHABLE! of course it would be more warranted. Its not like that though. Its more like the councils decided to put bicycles on pavements with pedestrians who dont mix well anyway due to speed differences, then they use that as bait to suggest cyclists are deliberately using pavements to push pedestrians around, which isnt how it is at all.  The other point here is that he once stated that traffic jams were the fault of too many foreigners living here and driving cars. We could counteract that. If there are too many cars coming the other direction, without a gap, of course you would never be able to go past cyclists, especially ones side by side. So would that be the fault of the cyclists nigel, for riding as advised to by sustrans to keep everybody safe and force the driver of the lethal weapon into a safer distance pass? Or would it be the fault of all the immigrants coming towards you constantly driving cars[ who actually probably havent paid any tax at all, least of all VED.  

ktache | 3 years ago
6 likes

I think that Nigel went a bit mad a long time ago.

His hero just lost.

So he's having a go at an easy target.

By the way, I'm not following a link to the Mail, but I can get the gist from your fine rant.

Latest Comments