Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic pro carbon bearing replacement

Looking for help to replace bearings on a Mavic pro carbon. I'm new here and haven't worked out how to attach pictures yet. Will keep trying.

problem I have is I'm not able to get past the 5 small hole fasteners( imagine a circle, then imaging 5 * 2mm holes equally spaced around the diameter of this circle) picture would be handy here. A tool would need to correspond to these hole patterns. Does anyone know of a tool that can be used to take these fasteners off? 
many help greatly appreciated.

thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Podc | 3 years ago
0 likes

I managed to remove one recently by using a suitably sized punch and small hammer, using the holes to gently tap the ring round. Might need a bit of lube to help it on it's way.

Hope you get it sorted. 

Inder | 3 years ago
0 likes

That plastic cap is to adjust bearing pre-load. Yoe can get a specific tool to fit the holes (google mavic hub spanner or something similar). It engages the holes and then if you hold the other end of the axle using a 5mm hex hou can undo it, it shouldn't be that tight. Alternatively I have in the past managed to undo it by just engaging a couple of the holes with kitchen forks! Remember to remove the axle end cap which sits in front of it first.

Jones101 replied to Inder | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for coming back with that, unfortunately the fasteners arent the plastic cap type. See picture. I've seen the instructions for removing those and got the spanner you described but it doesnt fit.  These are definetely much more robust than plastic, Any other ideas.

Thanks  

emjay49 replied to Jones101 | 3 years ago
0 likes

You need the Mavic Instant Drive 360 tool by the looks of it. Not easily available and ridiculously expensive. You will really struggle to undo it without causing damage unfortunately. Once this is off the bearing removal is the same as anything else.

https://www.totalcycling.com/Mobile/en/gb/Mavic-ID360-Instant-Drive-360-...

Jones101 replied to emjay49 | 3 years ago
0 likes

thanks for that, much appreciated. You're right on the tool description and unfortunately the price and availability.  seems like such a simple tool and I'm sure I could make one if I had the equipment. Looks like I'll be stumping up the cash then.

Thanks again.

Latest Comments