Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Injured cyclist froze to death after PCSOs called off search in under 10 minutes (Metro)

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/31/hull-cyclist-froze-to-death-after-pcsos-c...

Quote:

Following the initial call. at around 4.45pm on October 27 2018, the incident had been logged as urgent.

But according to the family’s solicitors, it took until 6.20pm for two PCSOs to be dispatched to assist a woman described as being under the influence.

An inquest into Jacqueline’s death heard that at no point did the officers leave their vehicle and the search was called off after about 10 minutes as she hadn’t been found.

It heard their search consisted of them driving slowly with their car windows down to scan the land adjacent to the main cemetery road which looped around the cemetery.

Neither were trained in search techniques and their torches were not as powerful as dedicated lighting systems that marked police vehicles are equipped with.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
1 like

This reads (to me) as just another "in the UK we don't like too many officials, or people telling us what to do - and usefully that fits with 'saving money by getting stuff off the books' " - like policing (to PCSOs), social care and support (charities), looking after our returned 'heros' (employed by the state until they're bust, ditto).

chrisonabike replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
1 like

I should add - although not "trained" I'd expect a better approach to searching for something from normal people, never mind PCSOs.

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

Very poor from the police, though reading the story my immediate question is why the passerby who "saw the cyclist fall in October 2018 and called the police from home as he didn’t have a mobile, fearing she’d be locked in overnight" didn't go to her aid instead of going home, or go back after he'd made the call to show the officers where she was?

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

I did have that thought, but then he was also probably an OAP. He must have got close enough to realise she was quite intoxicated though so probably assumed a call to the Police was all that was needed. 

Latest Comments