Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gore Shakedry not keeping me dry

I've got a Gore Shakedry jacket that I've had for a couple of years which is wetting through on the lower sleeves and across my shoulders.
I've only washed it once in that time recently. I have kept it clean and would wipe it down with a sponge normally but I washed it in a non bio as instructed hoping this would bring it back to life again?
I can't seem to find any information apart from it has a membrane that isn't supposed to need reproofing?
I hoped someone might know of anything that can be done as they are not cheap and a couple year's of occasional use isn't great!
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Xenophon2 | 2 years ago
1 like

My first shakedry started doing that after 2 years of quite intensive use.  I did wash it a couple of times (3 or 4).  Had to replace it after coming off and ripping the fabric.   Somehow I believe that washing it screwed something up, even though the label states that it can be washed.  And backpacks on a shakedry jacket are a big no-no:  it abrades really fast.

emjay49 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Bought my jacket just after they came out so a few years old now. Again, never see the need for washing it..a damp cloth does the job fine. I've noticed that after a proper soaking the fabric in certain areas starts to wet out. Not a massive issue at all and I would highly recommend the jacket to anyone.I've just put it down to the fact that's it's a bit old now. I was under the impression that the shakedry fabric wasn't treated with anything and it is the fabric itself that gives it water repellency. I'll try to get another winter out of it before getting another.

wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
1 like

I've got a shake dry, never washed it. One time I got back from a ride where it got mud splattered, but after a couple of rainy rides that all disapeared anyway.

I've had other jackets which have never been as waterproof after washing, so I didn't want to take the risk. 

cyclefaster | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've had a shakedry for a couple of years and it has been faultless. I've never washed it though.

Could there be any small rips in it?

quiff | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have been considering getting a Shakedry, but that doesn't fill me with confidence. Have you done any of the "do nots" in the following care instructions (from https://www.gore-tex.com/en_uk/support/care/outerwear)?

SPECIAL CARE
GORE-TEX GARMENTS WITH PERSISTENT BEADING SURFACES

Washing GORE-TEX garments with persistent beading surfaces (e.g. GORE-TEX SHAKEDRY™ garments) is slightly different as they have no textile outer layer - the outer layer is the GORE-TEX membrane itself and there's no need for DWR.

Machine wash on delicate cycle at 105°F/40°C.
Do not dry clean.
Do not tumble dry.
Do not iron.
Do not bleach.
Do not apply DWR treatment.

Sriracha replied to quiff | 2 years ago
4 likes

...and do not wear a rucksack. The exposed membrane is susceptible to abrasion.

fenix replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
1 like

I did see someone the other week wearing his with a backpack. It's paper thin. I'm sure that would have damaged it even with just the one ride.

ktache replied to quiff | 2 years ago
3 likes

Not shakedry, just goretex active, but wishing to keep it going, proper paranoia, I will scrouplously clean the fabric conditioner drawer, which I might not always do with most of my cycle wear, then do at least one load of cycle wear (delicate washing liquid) with an additional rinse, only then will I risk the waterproof, and only use specific waterproof liquid, or pure soapflakes.

Any traces of softener will destroy waterproofing.

Sriracha replied to ktache | 2 years ago
3 likes
ktache wrote:

Any traces of softener will destroy waterproofing.

are you sure about that? I though it would just impair the DWR, prevent it from beading off the water, since they are basically fats in emulsion. But I don't see it making any holes in the waterproof membrane (if anything it might clog up the pores).

By the way, there is an easy way to get the fabric softener drawer squeaky clean - never use fabric softeners. Your towels will show their gratitude (by drying you better)! Spend the money you save on bike bits.

bobbinogs | 2 years ago
0 likes

Why not ping them an email:

customercare.en [at] eu.gorewear.com

Latest Comments