Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dangerous driving - more data points

Just another data point for what a "reasonable" sentence / discount might be in dangerous driving cases:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-59173880

Charge: causing death by dangerous driving (also causing injury, to a passenger).

Plea: guilty (so obviously time off for that)

• Drunk (10 pints plus) - sadly this is one of the few things which does seem to cause concern.
  • 3 times the speed limit (60 in a 20)
  • Had apparently been driving around earlier in an "aggressive" manner.
  • Didn't flee the scene... but I suspect couldn't due to trashing car / being injured (not to mention pissed).

The beeb said the sentence was "seven and a half years" but the Gazette has:

He was sentenced to 10 years for the death by dangerous driving and 16 months to run concurrently for the serious injury by dangerous driving at Preston Crown Court today (Thursday, November 4).

Turner was also sentenced to a five-year driving ban to take effect upon his release from prison, after which he will also have to re-sit an extended re-test.

In the area there was another in court earlier in the year:

https://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2021/04/motorist-who-killed-wesham-man-in-kirkham-crash-is-jailed/

9 year sentence, 10 year disqualification (so one year after release?)

Uninsured, not on a full licence, deliberately drove into someone, drove off (with them on the car), dumped them and drove away.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

At last, almost acceptable sentences.

chrisonabike replied to ktache | 2 years ago
1 like

<ramble> As I always say I'm much more interested in how to avoid death and injury in the first place. This is why "extreme" cases actually aren't positive evidence of much at all for me. In the two cases here we've people who were so actively dangerous / out of control that I could imagine them killing and injuring people if allowed nothing more than a unicycle. Hence I was highlighting the drinking - because for the judge / jury that moves these safely into "socially unacceptable" territory e.g. these guys are not likely to be "one of us" - they're a horrible "other".

I'm also not much of a believer in a "deterrent effect" from driving law. I'd actually suggest it does nothing for road safety but currently that's hard to say because there is such a low detection and conviction rate for most offences so it's being very lightly applied. (No, it really isn't "there are few because everyone is a careful driver" because as soon as anyone looks closely e.g. with a close pass initiative a ton of unsafe / illegal behaviour is observed.)

In terms of "justice" however what bothers me is it seems you'd have to shame satan himself before you racked up near the maximum sentence and that points to our "day-to-day" standard of "a careful, competent driver" or whatever as being deliberately, dangerously low. Essentially a "gotta let the people have their rights". While I appreciate this is really an expression of the legislators following the culture (now that the driving genie is out of the bottle) it still bugs me. Why? If you accept poor driving morally you ought to reduce the harm caused.

We have certainly reduced the potential consequences inside the car over the years. (Drivers still kill themselves and each other though). I just don't see us doing "harm minimisation" (e.g. something like Sustainable Safety) effectively on the roads. Maybe we have a more "individualistic / personal responsibility" culture rather than a "group / system-focussed" one? Maybe progress is blocked by conflict with our idea of "let everyone get on with it, and if there are issues it can only be particular inept or wicked drivers - which we have the courts for"?

Anyway that then leaves the roads as an obvious conflict between the "rights and freedoms" of the few and the safety of everyone. I'd say it's our polite UK version of the tangle the US has with guns and their regulation.

Latest Comments