Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Olympic Road Race

Only five days to go!

Start lists are up on Cycling Fever but beware, Cadel Evans has already put his participation in doubt so things may change.

I assume that points will be scored in line with one day classics, something like this from Milan San Remo?

Quote:

Information on scoring

This stage will be scored on the following criteria:

Finish line - one day race: Points awarded for the first 20 riders over the line in a one-day race.

The following points will be awarded (1st-20th): 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Last man home: 10 points awarded for the last man home on a tour stage or one-day race

Breakaway bonus: 10 points to any rider in a lead breakaway group of 10 riders or less that's more than a minute ahead of the peloton at half distance

Team bonus: 5 points to every participating rider in the winning rider's team

Dave, will it work like the Worlds last year with two per nationality and team bonus points awarded for same country rather than trade team?

The Favourites seems to be Cavendish, Sagan (although he's racing on his own, no teammates), Goss (who can't win a thing) and Griepel which suggests everyone expects a sprint finish. Can anyone see a lone or small group breakaway winning? Possibly Boonen/Gilbert? Italy always seem to go well too so I expect them to be there or there abouts with Modolo/Paolini.

I think I'll be loading my team with sprinters but might take a punt on Boonen if he's fit (didn't he break some ribs in the Tour of Poland?).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

136 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cycling fever have a start list by country.

thefatcyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Does anybody know where to find a simple list of teams.
i.e riders plus country, instead of all this picture rubbish?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've been trying to work out who the 'protected' sprinters will be on some of the larger teams. Spain and Italy are interesting as both have two (Ventoso/Rojas and Viviani/Modolo) and a few others don't have clear leaders.

pain actually have a very strong team as usual, Rojas, Ventoso, Valverde and Sanchez could all win and I expect a Sanchez kamikaze break on the run in to the finish.

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden it and the boxhill/zigzag road part is nothing like the climbs you get in the Ardennes classics at all!!

With about 55k between Boxhill and the Mall I'd be surprised if a breakaway can stay out unless of course all the sprinters teams bar GB have someone in it.

Germany(for Greipel),US(for Farrar),Australia(for Goss)and GB(for Cav) will want a bunch finish and assist in reeling in any breaks.

People like EBH,Gilbert,Sagan,Boonen(if he rides) and Spartacus will be more interested in a strung out field but 55k is a long way out to launch anything.

The roads on the way are quite wide and flat so difficult to see a launch pad for any kind of Chavanel/Voeckler/LuLuSanchez type raids and to be honest you'd expect the strength of Wiggo,Froome,Stannard and Millar to chase anything down?

No race radios also mean the peloton will be loathe to allow any escapees get too far away,and the narrow nature of the 'rural' part of the course will mean riders wanting to be at or near the front ensuring a high average speed and almost certainly a few crashes on the descents of each of the 9 boxhill climbs which at this moment in time are not very well maintained.

Besides,the sprinter's teams will hope for a breakaway before we even reach the countryside as the race starts on the Mall and there are bound to be a little selection of 'novelty' riders looking for a bit of glory on the way out.As long as no-one too strong joins them they'll leave it till after the climbs to reel it in.

I for one am really looking forward to it and predict a Cav/Greipel battle.....whilst looking for Chinese/Kiwi/Spanish breaks.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I guess with 50 points for the win, and no more than 10 points for being in a break (and could be zero - was it Paris-Roubaix where there were more than ten guys in the break so none of them scored?) its better to focus on guys that might be there at the end, and treat breakaway points as a bonus - different to what we're used to over the last 3 weeks.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I see the break as an issue, but its getting the right guys to go, i guess all my stars are sprinters, and then some of my DS's are sprinters, but are the type of sprinters that could go in a break, as well as a couple of definite guys for a break.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's hard to predict, it could go the way of a full field sprint with a Cav win, a small field sprint between Sagan/Goss/Cancellara or some other strong sprinter types or a small group/breakaway in which case it could be anyone!

I caught an article saying that Michael Rogers doesn't think it'll come down to a full field sprint, he's mentioned trying to get into the break so it could be interesting.

The worst possible outcome for GB would probably be to have a German, American and Australian in any break that gets away as then they're not likely to get any help bringing back the break. If it's minor nations and people like Italy in the break then they could have allies.

0 likes

Cool - looking at the lists its easier than I thought it would be to pick a proper team, there are even a few TTing DS that should make the top 10, although they are fairly expensive. I can't decide if guys like Cav will last 9 times over Box Hill, especially if they're riding hard on the last 2 or 3 to catch a breakaway. So at present I have a couple of strong sprinters and a couple of good all-rounders likely to last the distance that can sprint well from a small group. I've only really started watching non-TDF cycling this year, and these kind of days are few and far between, so I don't really fancy my chances.  2

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

email/story about this tomorrow, but basically: yes it's the same as a one-dayer, but bonuses awarded by country.

there's no team limits, you can pick any number of riders from a trade team. the star/ds split still applies though.

everyone that's been added to the game for the games is in an 'olympic riders' team

thefatcyclist replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dave,
RE how does it work.
Thanks for posting here, as my original post seems to have been hijacked in lieu of mug shots.  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Stage listing shows TT as having unlimited transfers.

sanderville | 11 years ago
0 likes

How many transfers do we get before the TT?

0 likes

Boonen crashed twice in Poland, and after the second one (stage 3) I read that he'd "damaged some ribs" - but he completed the last 4 stages I think so I'm assuming he's OK...

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Put my team together just now, everything's pretty much sprint biased but I can't decide on which two to pick from Goss, Griepel, Sagan and Boassan Hagen! EBH, Goss and Gripel are number one riders on their teams, Sagan has no team, Goss can't win a thing right now but has a decent lead out in Rogers, Gerrans, O'Grady but Gripel should have Martin and Degenkolb leading him out! Decisions decisions!

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

My team is loaded with sprinters too, well my stars are, may yet change my domestiques and put in a breakaway guy

Pages

Latest Comments