Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Olympic Road Race

Only five days to go!

Start lists are up on Cycling Fever but beware, Cadel Evans has already put his participation in doubt so things may change.

I assume that points will be scored in line with one day classics, something like this from Milan San Remo?

Quote:

Information on scoring

This stage will be scored on the following criteria:

Finish line - one day race: Points awarded for the first 20 riders over the line in a one-day race.

The following points will be awarded (1st-20th): 50, 40, 30, 25, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Last man home: 10 points awarded for the last man home on a tour stage or one-day race

Breakaway bonus: 10 points to any rider in a lead breakaway group of 10 riders or less that's more than a minute ahead of the peloton at half distance

Team bonus: 5 points to every participating rider in the winning rider's team

Dave, will it work like the Worlds last year with two per nationality and team bonus points awarded for same country rather than trade team?

The Favourites seems to be Cavendish, Sagan (although he's racing on his own, no teammates), Goss (who can't win a thing) and Griepel which suggests everyone expects a sprint finish. Can anyone see a lone or small group breakaway winning? Possibly Boonen/Gilbert? Italy always seem to go well too so I expect them to be there or there abouts with Modolo/Paolini.

I think I'll be loading my team with sprinters but might take a punt on Boonen if he's fit (didn't he break some ribs in the Tour of Poland?).

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

136 comments

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Went Goss over Griepel only because he's potentially got more sticking power and if the races blows apart he's got a chance of 5 bonus points from Gerrans/Rogers. Plus, he'd a perennial 2nd place finisher whereas Griepel could be all or nothing, like on the Champs-Elysee.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got

Cav
Goss
Sagan
LLSanchez

Impey
Arashiro
Bourgain
Park
Kolobnev

Bourgain dropped out. Ooops
Park dropped from break.

But I don't think DSs will score much in this race. All depends on the stars. Hope Cav wins and Goss does better than Greipel.

Put Park in for the sprint but he went in the break instead.

Expecting another break to go on the 5th or 6th ascent.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bourgain was always going to drop out, he was listed in the RR just to get an extra place on the track  3

Any info on who's in the break? The list above doesn't seem right as a graphic was showing LL in the break  39

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nibali, Gilbert, Van Avermaet, Gesink and Elminger have launched an attack.

That's a strong group, GB might have a race on their hands now.

Edit: bah, that groups been brought back just as I typed that... typical.

mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes

BBC coverage leaves a lot to be desired. Not least the near complete absence of time checks! The one stat that really means something to the viewing public and they have only managed to give 2 or 3 time checks at the top of Box Hill and thats it!

And I could barely hear Hugh Porter at the start over the crowd noise!

thefatcyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mark Cavendish (SKY)
Peter Sagan (LIQ)
Luis Leon Sanchez (RAB)
Elia Viviani (LIQ)
Lars Bak (LOT)
Luca Paolini (KAT)
Niki Terpstra (OPQ)
Daryl Impey (GRE)
Alexandr Kolobnev (KAT)

mine
Intermediate gp looking very dangerous

0 likes

Juegos Olímpicos línea: 2 grupos

Kilómetro 140.

Grupo 1: Westra (Holanda), Schar (Suiza), Roelandts (Bélgica), Brajkovic (Eslovenia), Beppu (Japón), Menchov (Rusia), O'Grady (Australia), Castroviejo (España), Pinotti (Italia), Duggan (Estados Unidos) y Kristoff (Noruega)

Grupo 2: Nibali, Gilbert, Chavanel, Rast, Fuglsang, Kreuziger, Boom, Paolini, Elmiger,...

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bunch Sprint for me please

Sagan
Greipel
Cavendish
Chavanel(just in case)
Kwiatkowski(good TDP form)
Sohrabi(cheap as chips)
Vandenbergh(same as above plus covers Boonen/Gilbert win)
Demare(outside chance of top 20)
Impey(dark horse)

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I suspect its not the BBCs fault that there aren't many time checks but done on purpose to make sure that no-one can give the riders any more time checks than they receive from the race directors.

Also, its bloody hard to identify people when they're not in trade team jerseys.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The coverage isn't the best.....The support on the side of the roads isn't much better......Everyone with union flags...check, DO NOT put a foot over the white line....  19

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You can see the parts where the real cyclist are....screaming and shouting lycra clad guys with NO flags waving

Then round the rest of the course, people in their sunday best summer outfits with a flag, clapping and saying "jolly good chaps, keep it up"  19

adholman | 11 years ago
0 likes

tony martin dropped by main bunch????

adholman | 11 years ago
0 likes

and where's viviani, breschel, henderson? dropped with martin according to the official live feed

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Tony Martin jumped off to save some for the TT  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Viviani will most likely jump off as he'll be using this as a warm up for the track

0 likes

From biciclismo

Juegos Olímpicos línea: Sublime GB

Juegos Olímpicos línea: Solo 28´

A 75 kms de meta:

Westra (Holanda), Schar (Suiza), Roelandts (Bélgica), Brajkovic (Eslovenia), Beppu (Japón), Menchov (Rusia), O'Grady (Australia), Castroviejo (España), Pinotti (Italia), Duggan (Estados Unidos) y Kristoff (Noruega)

a 28" Nibali y Paolini (Italia), Gilbert (Bélgica) Chavanel (Francia), Bauer (Nueva Zelanda), Rast (Suiza), Fuglsang (Dinamarca), Kreuziger (República Checa), Boom (Holanda) y Grivko (Ucrania)

a 1:25 Pelotón

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Both groups off the front are together now  3 with around 45 seconds of a gap

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

The amount of information and the lack of time checks available for the TV coverage from this race is quite a good advert for allowing race radio. It really hadn't benefited the racing much either.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Riders radio's are banned. So what GB and other teams have done are link up some guys all round the course with radios and stop watches. So they are getting time checks and information all the way around. Might aswell give them radios in their own ears.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Who is it sat in front of Cav in the GB train? Can't identify the jersey, is it Eisel?

rcorbin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gone
Cav
Greipel
Goss
Modolo
Impey
Plus 1 USA, GB, GER and Spain ds

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wonder if EBH will help with the leadout...

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Could be anyone gets to play leadout. Cav seems to jump on a wheel then swings out at the moment.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

EBH will be going for a medal for himself. But other team sky members who have no hope of a medal might jump in and help shut this break down  3

0 likes

Gilbert, Fuglsang, Brajkovic, Boom, Gesink, Kolobnev, Kreuziger, Van Garderen, Nibali, Chavanel, Rui Costa, Cancellara, Valverde, Leon Sánchez, Vinokourov, Urán, Henao, ...

at 1.00

0 likes

Got 2 of those

LLSanchez, Kolobnev

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

One minute gap and it sounds like Sanchez and Cancellara are up in the front group along with Valverde. This could come right down to the wire.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just thought, There were more than 10 in the break at half way......No bonuses for them  3

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think the group may stay away....

Ive just got Kolobnev up the road

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I aint got anyone up the road and unless Germany pull their finger out, there will be no sprint. So I hope something starts moving behind  14

Pages

Latest Comments