Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Frame - £1K budget

So, I'm upgrading my road bike frame from my current sportive ready Roubaix to something a bit faster. Well, ideally a lot faster...

Been looking at the Cervelo Soloist Team. Anyone got an opinion or another suggestion?

Cheers,

TFS

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Barry Parker | 15 years ago
0 likes

I think the Pro0Lite Galileo would be a good frame to look at at that price range.
£999 It is Full Carbon Mono built and comes in a vast range of sizes.

The weight is 1046 grams.

please look on their website www.pro-lite.net

purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

how's about a new Pedal Force RS2? it's only $800 and looks like a peach of a frame for the money. you'd probably have to get it sent over and pay duty though, but even then it'd probably only be about £600 all in

jay cee replied to purplecup | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'd take a look at Pedal Force too. very good value for money.

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

The Cervelo Soloist Team - sounds okay, although I've not ridden one. On your budget though I'd probably aspire to carbon or titanium.

Carbon options worth checking out are the Time Speeder frameset at around £850 or the Look KG451 for around £750.

Ti options? Off the top of my head, the Van Nicholas Zephyr at around £800, but the one that really would appeal if it was my money is the new Planet X Ti Pro Road - looks the dog's accoutrements and you'd still have a pound of your budget left over for an energy bar, or possibly a nice cake.

The Flying Scotsman replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

I have looked at the Planet-X ti frame. I do wonder if the hype (well, the one glowing review) is justified... It is tempting but it's £999 for frame only, once you add on fork and what not it's £1200 at least.

the-daily-ripper replied to The Flying Scotsman | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'd certainly consider the ti planet x - the build they tested in 220 tri came in at about £2k with full dura-ace I think.

Personally, the soloist looks nice, but I would probably go for carbon or ti at that price point. The Time frames as have been mentioned are worth a look. You could well be in luck too given that we're near the 2009 range switch, so some identical frames with a changed colour scheme may be quite a bit cheaper.

Plus I've heard varying things about the soloist, the primary one being that it feels too stiff. Other ones to consider might be the Dedaccia frames - they'll be quality as they're often rebranded and sold for more by other companies.

Blackhound replied to the-daily-ripper | 15 years ago
0 likes

My mate bought an unbranded Sumo carbon frame & fork off an ebay shop for about £500. Made by Dedaccai and this importer sells them onto to Ribble & Dolan for starters who paint and sticker them up. Looks nice and his is close to the UCI minimum weight limit. He has got a bit of Record and Corima tubs on it though.

Slim replied to Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes

... My anodised black Soloist Team arrives tomorrow! A shame that Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op have sold out as £700 was a bargain for such a LUSH frame! The new S1 (2009 Soloist Team) isn't quite as pretty IMO...

What size are you? Got a Ti frame for sale at the mo for a lot less than your budget! It's an Omega Enigma, size 56cm with a 55cm top tube and a 14.5cm head tube - it's genuinely LOVELY but I need something bigger :O(

Drop me a line if you're interested: richard DOT gearing AT mac DOT com

P.S. I think you bought an SS wheel off me a little while back from STW??

The Flying Scotsman replied to Slim | 15 years ago
0 likes

If your Omega ti was 6cm bigger I'd be interested!

I am sorely tempted by the Cervelo, reading the (admittedly bias) Cervelo owners forum does nothing but whet the appetite.

Don't think it was me who bought your wheel, though I do lurk around on STW.

The Flying Scotsman replied to Slim | 15 years ago
0 likes

Well...

Ended up getting a Soloist Team for £500, spent the rest of the budget on a new ultegra SL groupset and some bling carbon bars. Happy days!

Latest Comments