Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pinnacle Headset Nightmare

Hi. I have a Pinnacle Laterite 3 from Evans which is 18 months old and which I've been using as my winter workhorse. It's been fine until now, but just before Christmas I noticed a grinding noise from the headset. On taking it apart I was greeted with a rusty ball cage (bottom of headset), which was missing several balls.

I thought it would be easy enough to get replacement parts. According to Evans website the headset is FSA No.10, internal 1-1/8. After some searching I found some tech data sheets for this headset which showed the ball retainer should be ref. MR013, 5/32" X 20. This seemed to be a common size so I promptly ordered a replacement cage, which arrived today. When I went to fit it however I found it was too big. The outside diameter of the new bearing cage was about 39mm, while the old one was 37.5mm or so.  On closer inspection the old cage bearings appear to be 1/8" x 24, a combination that seems to be unique!

Next I popped into local Evans store and explained the problem. After some searching the mechanic said they didn't keep these parts and my best option would be to have them fit a complete new headset, and suggested a few mid price options. 

What should I do? I see quite a few people recommend just using loose balls and packing with grease, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. I cannot understand why headsets are not just standard sizes and why I can't just buy a replacement cage. It's not like I'm trying to restore something from the past either, the bike is almost new!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

Nice enough outcome, now that you know the seals are crap, service accordingly.

steve_s1 | 4 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all the feedback.

I ended up getting Evans to fit a like-for-like replacement headset. At first the guy attempted to fit a "better" HS with sealed bearings, before finding (as I did) that the standard sized bearings for 1 1/8" tube don't fit the Laterite head tube for some reason only known to Pinnacle. 

At least they were able to do it while I waited and without needing to book it in, and only charged £15 labour, so not too bad.

kevvjj | 4 years ago
0 likes

What does the top bearing look like? If it is equally rusty then you need a new headset. If the top is all good and the bottom race is not pitted then simply fill it up with loose ball bearings (and good quality grease). Get some high quality ones - these won't rust as easily. You'll be good for another 5000 miles.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

I'd clean everything, including the cage, replace the bearings, grease up everthing and rebuild, but it won't be great and will not last long, especially with the recent soggy weather.  Then plan on getting the whole headset replaced, something with good seals.  Buy it through your LBS, organise a day for them to install and you minimise hastle.  Bike shops are a bit quieter this time of year too.

Miller | 4 years ago
1 like

New headset is definitely the right answer. Fix it properly.

alan sherman | 4 years ago
3 likes

Get a new headset. Rust and missing balls mean any surfaces will be ruined anyway.

mtbtomo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just use loose ball bearings - and I dare say that is what any shop mechanic would do too.

So long as the balls are the same size it makes no difference.

Secret_squirrel | 4 years ago
0 likes

Book it into Evans to get it replaced.  Their bike, their mess to fix.

mike the bike | 4 years ago
2 likes

Personally I'd have no hesitation about scrapping the ball-cage and using loose balls instead.  Pack in as many as you can, then remove just one, they will quickly find their own positions.  Waterproof grease is a good idea, as I suspect you have already realised.  Best of luck.

steve_s1 | 4 years ago
0 likes

OK. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

If they don't keep them, then an option given the age is to find the parts and then use a shop or mechanic who is happy to fit for labour.
Or try another shop!

Latest Comments