forum

Cardio exercise for person with bad leg?

To put it bluntly, I'm in extremely poor physical condition. Overweight and with high blood pressure and a bum knee - I'm a limping poster child for a heart attack before I hit 50 years old. I need exercise, particularly cardio that my leg can handle. Walking extensively is next to impossible. A round trip to the grocery store is eight blocks and I wanted to cut my leg off before I was finished. Running is right out of the question.

The best option I've found is to use an old exercise bike that was given to me. This bike is placed on a tall table, I sit in an office chair in front of the bike and crank the pedals by hand. I've been trying to do this for at least 30 minutes, twice a day. Obviously this is better than sitting in the chair and watching YouTube videos but is this likely to do me any good? My instinct is that anything that gets my heart rate up will help but do you have any suggestion to improve my results.

I have access to a low impact elliptical but it's a twenty mile drive to use it. The little I've used it seemed to be OK on my knee but I'm not sure it's worth it. While the weather is still nice, I'm going to try to hit the public pool and see if swimming laps works for me. Decades ago, this was almost a meditative stress reliever for me and I certainly consider it worth a shot. Thoughts? Other exercise suggestions?

I have an appointment with my doctor to try to get me on track for a surgical evaluation and possible repair of my knee. I will discuss all this with her at that time. Do you have any specific points that you feel I should bring up with her?

Thanks,

TheHomeDweller

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments

• armb 15 min 37 sec ago

That doesn't help with the lack of a fork crown mount for a dynamo light. There is a fork mount for a mudguard, but it's on the back of the fork:...

• HoarseMann 46 min 3 sec ago

Give it 7 days Brendon, then call 101 and get confirmation that a NIP has been issued. If you can, get the shoulder number of the officer dealing...

• JMcL_Ireland 1 hour 10 min ago

Unfortunately there are scum that will stoop to any level. There's a death notice website here in Ireland that gives funeral details and there have...

• nniff 1 hour 11 min ago

That hedges thing - quoting 'pollution parts per million' (whatever that might be).  If you look at that photograph and assess 'stuff parts per...

• Mark-1 1 hour 17 min ago

Hi...

• ktache 1 hour 44 min ago

Unfortunately this is Reading, and I'm thinking of you, Tony Page, who spent huge amounts of money painting and then removing cyle lanes that didn...

• hawkinspeter 1 hour 55 min ago

You spin me right round, baby...

• ktache 2 hours 26 min ago

I don't even think that, often there is a complete inability to see anything but the cyclist, and to think of anything but the slight impediment to...

• sparrowlegs 2 hours 47 min ago

Nice! Although I do think another 10mm on the headtube and 10mm less on the top tube (across all sizes) wouldn't cause any issues and would allow a...

• Curly 4 hours 36 min ago

Cracking Jacket good fit and  water repellency, i have black version which is on sale for £99 on the lusso site